October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

General Magic Thread

More
15 Sep 2013 14:58 #161010 by DukeofChutney
Amazingly i cannot see a general Magic thread in the CCG/LCG forum, so here it is.

free magic discussion for all..
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, dragonstout

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2013 15:15 #161013 by DukeofChutney
Dragonstout, in response to your comment in the what boardgame you been playing thread.

I think it was a modern masters cube. I know very little about Magic, so these words are somewhat meaningless to me.

The most useful card i drafted was probably a deep cavern imp and i also had two stinkweed imps. I had quite a few goblins including facevaulters, a mad Auntie (very handy), Mog Marshall, and some other stuff. The only Giant card i can remember by name was something like Hammer Deadeye. I also had a Dragon of some sort, 4/4 and could tap mountains to produce +1/0 as many times as i wanted. I had a few weird black creatures, something that turned all my lands in my graveyard into worms (got one worm out of it in 7 games). I had a few red direct damage spells that did about 1 damage, and something called a warspike changling.

I won two games against a girl who had slightly more magic experience than i, but here deck seemed to malfunction. She just drew lands and direct damage spells in both games. I beat a green deck in one game (lost to it in another) that drew lots of creatures into play using suspension. My dragon screwed em in the second game. I got destroyed twice by a blue black fairy deck, and lost one game against a guy who had taken over from someone elses deck, declared it a mess and then dealt 12 damage in one turn. He said he got very lucky on the draw.

Two of the guys in my gaming group own cubes so i will probably be doing this reasonably often. Any good drafing tips? I was told i should aim for 2 colours, and try to have a good curve of land costs and aim to have slightly more creatures than other spells. What order should you draft stuff in? How do you set about building a deck? I picked red black pretty sharpish, and decided i'd just theme it around goblins, imps, and then some big creatures.

More
15 Sep 2013 16:08 - 15 Sep 2013 16:55 #161016 by dragonstout
I feel like this is the dragonstout quarantine thread.

I was going to guess a Modern Masters cube, actually! Pretty much nowhere else is "Giants" a draftable thing. I'm jealous of you, I've heard great things about Modern Masters.

Modern Masters was a set released a few months ago which was kind of a "best of 2003 to 2009". The ostensible goal was to provide an increase in the supply for a bunch of cards from that era that had gotten absurdly expensive. In doing so, however, a LOT of pros and draft fanatics have declared it the best draft format of all time, or at least in the running. I haven't drafted it yet, because it was/is ABSURDLY expensive, at around $250 a draft (split between 8 people, sure). The incredible expense of Modern Masters drafts, as well as the high demand for them, has made a lot of people build a Modern Masters Cube. I'm working on it myself.

Enjoy drafting with their Cube, it should be awesome! The only thing is that Modern Masters was VERY much intended for advanced players, to be one of the most complex draft formats ever released. The very first thing that you MUST familiarize yourself with what the archetypes are. Among others, there is an intended archetype for each of the 10 2-color pairs:

WU—Artifacts
UB—Faeries
BG—Graveyard/Dredge
RG—Suspend/Storm
RW—Giants
GW—Tokens/Thalids
GU—Ramp/Sunburst
BR-Goblins
WB-Rebels
UR-Dampen Thought/Arcane

Here are some strategy articles delineating the archetypes:
www.starcitygames.com/article/26381_Mode...ters-Archetypes.html
legitmtg.com/competitive/ranking-the-modern-masters-archetypes/

I'd definitely read those; it's not a format you want to go "blind" into, and was never even intended to be.

From that first article:

The most important thing to keep in mind in Modern Masters is that you're drafting a deck, not a color combination. In many formats, you can get away with just choosing a couple colors and picking "good cards" in those colors to more or less cobble together a good deck...In Modern Masters, however, it's much more important to identify what strategy you're drafting because the value of cards varies wildly from one archetype to another.

If you're new to playing something like that, a very basic tip is: in the first few packs, look for uncommons or rares that are *key* to a particular archetype. If it seems like one archetype is open after a few packs, then, while you're learning the format, just go all-in on that archetype. Typically it's better to vary it up and lightly combine archetypes etc. etc., but when just starting? Just go all-in after getting some uncommon/rare enablers. And do NOT be afraid of multiples: multiples make your deck much more consistent and enable more craziness.
Last edit: 15 Sep 2013 16:55 by dragonstout.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, Bull Nakano

More
15 Sep 2013 16:51 #161024 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re: General Magic Thread
I don't play magic, but I love reading your threads about it.

More
15 Sep 2013 17:27 #161026 by Da Bid Dabid
What Magic have you been playing?

Magic is fun, my brother and cousin have gotten back into it hardcore. I get the double bonus of making fun of them for loving magic cards and being able to ride their new obsession to take part in some drafts once and a while, a win-win.

More
15 Sep 2013 18:29 #161031 by bioball
Replied by bioball on topic Re: General Magic Thread
While folks are interested in drafting, there is a "living" examples I'm gonna update as our games progress: fortressat.com/forum/21-ccg--cmg--lcg/16...oster-league-example

Its basically just M14 currently, I think we might throw in some Theros once the set has been released.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dragonstout

More
16 Sep 2013 02:55 #161043 by dragonstout

bioball wrote: Its basically just M14 currently, I think we might throw in some Theros once the set has been released.

I hope that's more than a "think"! There's no way you should keep adding M14 packs once Theros is out. In my opinion, you guys should add an entire Theros sealed deck (6 packs), holding a whole session where you guys just play from those packs, and then for the rest of the year (i.e. until next fall, if you continue that long), just stick to your one-pack-at-a-time thing. I don't think Nate's ever played with non-Core Set cards, but dude, those Theros cards are gonna be a lot more fun than the M14 cards.

More
16 Sep 2013 05:22 #161049 by dragonstout
BTW, Theros prerelease primer, if any of you are thinking of going to the Theros prerelease:
www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.a...tg/daily/feature/265

More
16 Sep 2013 08:35 #161052 by tscook
Replied by tscook on topic Re: General Magic Thread
*dismissive throwaway comment about mtg*

I do really wish there was a store that bought cards that did FNM here though. Drafts owned because I could place relatively well and just sell the cards and packs. Here nowhere does that though :c

More
16 Sep 2013 09:40 #161055 by dragonstout
That's kinda weird, where do you live tscook?

More
17 Sep 2013 18:10 #161220 by tscook
Replied by tscook on topic Re: General Magic Thread
Beautiful but sparsely populated Montana.

More
17 Sep 2013 18:52 #161224 by dragonstout
From the "BGs you're buying" thread:

Ken B. wrote: It isn't sour grapes, though...I've played with "real" duals, with Moxes, with Loti, with Juzams. I've countered spells with honest-to-god cardboard copies of Force of Will .I remember well the days of turn two kills.

It's funny, because despite the fact that I feel I know quite a fair piece about Magic, have played it for years, was there almost from the beginning, have been so steeped in Standard the last year I routinely watch playtest videos and read tons of Magic coverage, and can randomly show up to most tournaments and do extremely well...whatever knowledge I have is not the 'right' kind, and you're there to set me straight.

WILL I EVER PLAY MAGIC THE WAY DRAGONSTOUT DEEMS APPROPRIATE? Stay tuned for details. Lol. I'm just fucking with you, but still.

Ha! I'd feel bad about it if it weren't true that, at some point within the last year, you said something about how "booster draft is frustrating because you have to draft your basic lands" ??????????!?!?!

Magic is just such a vast, vast game that I can have my MANY ways/formats of playing, you can have your MANY ways of playing, and yet there can be very little overlap between the two! Of course all the formats you play are cool, I just want you to try the formats *I* play, too :-)

The truth is that I played Standard for a year or so and loved it. What really changed is that I don't have the time to devote to the game that I used to; if you have infinite time to devote to Magic then I agree that Standard is probably the best, because it does so rapidly change. With less time, Legacy is the format for me, because decks that are good mostly stay good. Also, for me, Legacy combined with Limited play represents two ends of the spectrum so that I get my fix of the craziness and wild unfettered quality of Magic combined with the nuts-and-bolts creature-bashing-with-combat-tricks quality of Magic. Though Powered Cube somehow manages to combine both of these in a single format!

Also, Legacy of today is very different from the turn-2 kill formats of yesteryear; it's exactly that "long-time player knowledge" that can impede understanding of the game as it is today. Hell, you mentioned Juzams! They practically reprinted Juzam a few years back and it wasn't no thang at all. So sad. I, too, still have my mind stuck in the years of old; when I see all these MANY Theros cards of incredibly undercosted creatures with tons of abilities, my eyes go wide, but for Standard players today I don't know if they even register. I see Reaper of the Wilds and think "Ernham Djinn without a drawback and with three good abilities???", but I think it's something that would've been good 5 years ago, not today.

More
17 Sep 2013 18:59 #161225 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re: General Magic Thread
I had the same reaction to creatures when I got back in--holy mackeral are they so much better than before!

Reaper's got a place too, in a Varolz shell of some kind. With Abrupt Decay, Ooze, Hero's Downfall, Desecration Demon, and Deathrite Shaman, Golgari is going to have plenty of punch. But my god will I miss Mutilate and Thragtusk!

More
19 Sep 2013 14:08 #161332 by DukeofChutney
There are two card dealers in my city, and the smaller one has decided it wasnt to try and muscle in on the university market, so the uni sci-fi soc (my gaming group) got given half a dozen starter decks and a similar number of these coloured mini decks (30 cards i think of one colour per deck).

I opened and played blind one of the coloured decks. I played green vs a black deck and got trashed. The deck was built around lots of lands/mana and getting big creatures out, my opponent had a ton of removal, so he just one shotted each creature whilst it still had summoning sickness.

He then got out these 100 card decks with 3 different colours in and a ton of very expensive powerful cards and we started a game that got cut short after 15minutes. The decks had a general or leader card that you could play when ever you want. Not sure what this play style was called.

More
19 Sep 2013 14:15 #161334 by quozl
Replied by quozl on topic Re: General Magic Thread
That's EDH or Commander as it's been renamed.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds