Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Talk about collectible card and miniature games here.

TOPIC: Hearthstone Players!

Hearthstone Players! 20 Feb 2018 10:31 #263998

jeb, this is that Jade/DR Kibler list I was talking about the other day:

Backstab x 2
Shadowstep
Journey Below x 2
Mistress of Mixtures x 2
Bloodmage Thalnos
Jade Shuriken x 2
Jade Swarmer x 2
Plated Beetle x 2
Fan of Knives x 2
SI: 7 Agent x 2
Sonya Shadowdancer
Elven Minstrel x 2
Spellbreaker
Spiritsinger Umbra
Lesser Onyx Spellstone x 2
Shadowcaster
Vilespine Slayer x 2
Aya Blackpaw
N'Zoth, the Corruptor

In the few games I've seen, he regularly gets the Spellstones charged up to 3. The last video he posted showed him wrecking a Big Priest with them. He's also had the good fortune to pull Xaril with his Journey Belows on a regular basis.
  • Jackwraith
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Ninja
  • Thank you received: 1087
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Hearthstone Players! 20 Feb 2018 17:08 #264044

I don't have Sonya, but I just swapped her for Xaril. It's not ideal, obviously, but it works. The deck plays fine, and it's a nice break. I finally made it to Rank 10 with more a-Huntin'. I think I finished 5-2 today, losing to a Spell Hunter and Murlocadin in there. Lots of Rogues on the Standard Ladder for whatever reason and everyone is playing Giants Warlock on Wild following that Firebat/Zalae show yesterday. Here's the deck:
Sac Pacts
Kobald Guys
Mortal Coils
Darkbombs
Defiles
Hellfire
Voidcallers
Doomguards
Loatheb
Naga Sea Witches
Voidlords
Malganis
Bloodreaver Guldan
Giants x8 (Molten, Mountain, Sea, and Clockwork if you have them)
  • jeb
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2272
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2018 17:09 by jeb.

Hearthstone Players! 21 Feb 2018 07:43 #264085

Hadn't played the Dungeon Run for a while, but got the quest, so I went in again with Shaman.

First pair of picks I got Jade Lotus and the +1 mana crystal, which was nice. Then I got some more Jade Lotus and it was shaping up to be a decent deck. But the real kicker was getting the double battlecry power, at which point everything just went nuts.

In one game I started with a Healing Totem then had two Jade Spirits out. My board was full, and I couldn't play any more cards. The golems just kept the opposing board clear, were healed by the totem, and any left over went for the face. My hand filled, I was burning cards, and I still won easily.

The final boss was The Darkness whose pitiful Darkspawn proved no match for my golem army. I'd have won on turn 8 if it hadn't played Twisting Nether. As it was I won on turn 10 at which point I had golems from 13-16 on the board, which smashed him into little pieces. Easiest win I've had so far.

So that's Druid, Hunter and Shaman Crowned. Warrior next, I think.
  • MattDP
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Shiny Balls
  • Thank you received: 883
Oftentimes defeat is splendid, victory may still be shame;
Luck is good, the prize is pleasant but the glory's in the game!

Hearthstone Players! 21 Feb 2018 11:08 #264106

Nice one, Matt. If you just want wins, your best pick by far is Captured Flag (your minions get +1/+1). The only thing that is better is if you are Paladin and you are offered Justicar's Ring, which is like that except better. The next tier of things to pick vary somewhat. For Warrior, given its basic deck is pretty good for the early game, look for packages that have late-game stuff like Dragons, Recruiter, and Legends. The other packs are weak and make you weaker as you get deeper in the run. Scepter of Summoning (Minions >5 cost 5) is your next best thing to Captured Flag.

For the stuff that are cards added to your deck, always take Wish and Wax Rager. Everything else is negotiable.
  • jeb
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12

Hearthstone Players! 21 Feb 2018 12:55 #264123

JFC. These people and their Crystal Lions. I don't get it, man. You're playing a weenie deck that basically obviates the idea of single-target removal, which basically means that any such cards in any deck will have 1 or 2 targets for the entire game (Hex, SWD, Siphon Soul, Amethyst Spellstone, Swipe(!), Naturalize, Onyx Spellstone, Fireball, Polymorph, etc., etc.) None of those cards are ones you'd want to use on Dudes, except Swipe, since you usually kill all the other Dudes. But people want to their "free" 5/5s in the same way they did Corridor Creeper. Honestly, how difficult is it to deal with 5/5s, even ones that are effectively doubled because of the bubble?

Was watching Jeb play with his Recruit Shaman deck. Ran into a Dude deck that kept spewing out Kjeldorans like an inverse Soylent Green factory. Don't get me wrong. Jeb was under some pressure, but it was moderated by the fact that the guy couldn't come up with any real threats. It was just a chorus line of "To battle!" Then he does SAD and out comes with the 1-cost Crystal Lion. Jeb, of course, had wisely been sitting on a Hex for 6 or 7 turns. Instant frog. Throw down some taunts. Game over. That your "awesome moment" Paladin player. A 5/5 that sits there, waiting to be removed.

Needless to say, my latest version of a Dude deck doesn't use them. The thing I like about my version is just the flexibility of options. Made a couple tweaks to it and played a quick game: hsreplay.net/replay/qHHvfx3865kG3HyqHiGmNc

Opening preview of two Hoarders and a Fungalmancer. Don't need two or the Fungal yet. Get Lost and a Stegodon, which is almost perfect. All I need now is a 3 and I am Curve Man. I bring out two Dudes. He drops 1st turn Mixtress, which means Control. I continue on curve and drop the Loot Hoarder. I go face, because I don't care about losing the Hoarder. Either he uses turn 2 to Fireblast (fine) or he sacs the Mixtress and does something else and I still have two Dudes, waiting for my Stegodon with another Lost in hand. He blasts the Hoarder and clears a Dude. Turn 3 is kind of the key. I draw an excellent Maul off the Hoarder and then draw Steward. I can clear and set up three Dudes for the turn 4 Stegodon (solid.) I can Maul and clear the Mixtress myself and leave a 2/1 on the board (poor.) Or I can clear and play the Steward. The last is a high-risk, high-reward play. If he doesn't have the Frostbolt, I have a 4/3 and two bubbled 2/1s in play next turn with a weapon in hand. It delays the Stegodon for a turn, but the bubbles give me more chance to have a bigger payoff with that, anyway. I play the Steward, 'cuz I'm risky like that.

He doesn't have the Frostbolt and pings the Steward and plays another Mixtress. He figures if I don't have a weapon, the Mixtress clears and everything is back to normal, with maybe a bubbled 1/1. Sorry 'bout yer luck. He only has AI. I draw Rallying Blade and immediately decide to delay the Stegodon yet again, since I'm about to have 3 bubbled and boosted minions in play. I hit face, make a Dude (unlike my usual Tarim play...), Blade, and take him to 14. It's almost like an aggro deck. Lethal is on the board on turn 5. He tosses Fury, which only gets rid of the Steward and bubbles. I finally Stegodon and get Flaming Claws. Game. Even the +1/+1 would have been enough. I had Equality and Spellbreaker in hand for any kind of shenanigans. Flexibility is why I like this deck. The only thing I'm really lacking is draw.
  • Jackwraith
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Ninja

Hearthstone Players! 21 Feb 2018 14:10 #264135

Was watching Jeb play with his Recruit Shaman deck. Ran into a Dude deck that kept spewing out Kjeldorans like an inverse Soylent Green factory. Don't get me wrong. Jeb was under some pressure, but it was moderated by the fact that the guy couldn't come up with any real threats. It was just a chorus line of "To battle!" Then he does SAD and out comes with the 1-cost Crystal Lion. Jeb, of course, had wisely been sitting on a Hex for 6 or 7 turns. Instant frog. Throw down some taunts. Game over. That your "awesome moment" Paladin player. A 5/5 that sits there, waiting to be removed.

That was an interesting game. I think we agreed that Paladin was perhaps TOO committed to the whole Silver Hand theme. He made tons of dudes! So many. Maybe 20 or so over the course of the game. I would have lost easily at a couple of spots if he'd had Tarim or a timely Level Up! card, even Equality would have put him way ahead. But he would have been shredded at a couple points if I drew a Lightning Storm. What an odd dynamic. His stuff was small and cheap, my stuff was big and cheap (eg, Thing Fro Below, Corridor Creeper, recruited-out 4/7s).
  • jeb
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12

Hearthstone Players! 21 Feb 2018 14:42 #264136

Oh, yeah. It's not like playing Crystal Lion killed his whole deck or lost him the game. There were multiple moments when Tarim or Level Up was game over. I just keep thinking that, when you get to turn 6, how many things are you going to want to do that Lion will definitely improve? If I have 5 guys in play, I don't give a shit about Lion. Level Up or Tarim generally wins me the game whether Lion is there or not. You say: "But I can Level Up AND play Lion!" Fine. Great. Then he can Twist and you're back where you started. The card just doesn't hold that much value unless it's played in specific circumstances. At 5+, my deck has two Fungalmancers, SAD, Level Up, Tarim, and a Vinecleaver. Any one of those provides more value than Lion does and only one (SAD) plays into giving Lion actual value, whereas all of them play into other aspects of my deck that create value.
  • Jackwraith
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Ninja

Hearthstone Players! 21 Feb 2018 15:02 #264137

I guess I am contrarian. I don’t play dude paladin. But I think the lion is good in the deck. Pay couple of mana for 5/5 w bubble seems good. They are going to use single target removal on something. If it only cost me 2 mana and it costs them 4 mana to frog it, I consider that a win. What are you doing with 2 mana that is better?

Hearthstone Players! 21 Feb 2018 16:10 #264149

My point is that it's not 2 mana the vast majority of the time and expecting that it will be seems overly optimistic to me. Sure, opening draw of Lost, Lion and something else means that if you Lost, turn 2 Dude, and all of them survive, you have turn 3 bubbled 5/5. Great. How many times and against how many decks will that ever happen? I just posted a game against a slow-starting Control Mage where I couldn't keep 3 guys on the board until I was almost to a turn where Lion could have been paid for with its normal cost. It's not like Creeper, whose value is based on a reduced cost for something that happens in every game of Hearthstone. Lion's is based on a specific set of circumstances; granted, one that every Dude deck should be trying to achieve. I just think there's better value for later-game cards in this kind of deck. Plus, I tend to favor cards that bring value to what's already on the board. If I drop Fungalmancer on 5, I just made two 3/3s (at least) that can attack right now. My 5/5 sits there for a turn. The contrary argument is that if I have nothing else on the board, the Fungalmancer is a 2/2 that does jack-all on turn 5 or later, while the Lion is still a threat on turn 6 or possibly earlier.
  • Jackwraith
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Ninja

Hearthstone Players! 21 Feb 2018 16:19 #264153

I'm in the even-if-it-2-mana it's not that great crowd, I suppose. I would rather it had Taunt, for example, like Thing From Below. That's a "free" 5/5 that everyone thinks is great, and it's interacting with an even shittier Hero Power, albeit in a better way. You mentioned using single-card removal, which I did in this example (Hex), but ~eh~. I didn't HAVE to, it was just.... there. My board at the time had a 2/4 and a 4/7, so It would get some work done if i just ignored it or knocked it down. Plus I know he was running Rallying Blade and a 6/6 is even worse if he's got 3/3 and dudes working the board otherwise.

I think the issue is building your deck to make Dudes and hoping they do interesting things. I feel like too much has to happen. I am playing "Recruit Shaman" even though it has exactly two 5-cost Recruit cards. You shouldn't let theme so dominate the deckbuilding process that the deck can't win.
  • jeb
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds