October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Is anyone able to buy Star Wars Destiny?

More
29 Dec 2016 11:09 #241459 by Michael Barnes
I thought I was going to avoid it, but now I want to try it. But I guess the starters are hard to find, they are sold out everywhere I've looked. Is anyone close to a set of the two? My usual FLGS has boosters but no starters, which is frustrating.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2016 12:01 - 29 Dec 2016 12:01 #241466 by ChristopherMD

Starter, Common, Uncommon, Rare, and Legendary? I'm so glad to be done with CCG's.
Last edit: 29 Dec 2016 12:01 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Chapel, Colorcrayons

More
29 Dec 2016 13:45 #241473 by Michael Barnes
Ha ha, yeah...it's nasty. There are already like $50 cards. I bought three boosters to see if I could pull one of those like the Legendary Vader, all I got was a DL44, some grenades, and a blaster rifle.

I really just want to see how it plays, it looks pretty fun. Don't think I'll get into it much though specifically because of that chart you have there. And apparently you need characters, which you don't always get out of a booster. That sucks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
29 Dec 2016 13:54 #241476 by Gary Sax
Broken record but the CCG part is definitely something that hurts it with me. ESPECIALLY like legendary rarity. I can deal better with ordinary rares without foils/legendaries, etc. It shouldn't matter to me but it does.

More
29 Dec 2016 13:58 #241478 by Michael Barnes
Having gotten sort of casually into Pokémon with my kids has sort of steered me away from really caring about the rares...not to say we don't open every pack hoping to get an EX or a Break or whatever, but I just don't care as much and I'm enjoying buying two or three packs when we're at Target just for fun. If I get into Destiny, it'll be at that same level. But yeah, it does matter if you can't get Darth Vader except as an extraordinarily rare card that you might not see in five _booster boxes_ worth of product.

I really like that Pokémon has those special sets where if you really want Mewtwo or Rayquaza or whatever, you can just buy a special box where you get that and maybe some extra packs or whatever. I wish this was done like that.

More
29 Dec 2016 14:15 #241482 by Shellhead

Gary Sax wrote: Broken record but the CCG part is definitely something that hurts it with me. ESPECIALLY like legendary rarity. I can deal better with ordinary rares without foils/legendaries, etc. It shouldn't matter to me but it does.

I actively played several CCGs in the '90s. Several years later, I saw a comment at BGG that I wish I could have forwarded to younger me: in a CCG, your real world bank account is a game component.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, Msample, Nodens

More
29 Dec 2016 14:36 #241483 by ChristopherMD
Its not even about the money for me. Although that's obviously a consideration. I just don't want to spend my time chasing/tracking that kind of stuff anymore. I bet there are promos too.

More
29 Dec 2016 15:16 #241487 by dragonstout
The trick with any collectible game is to strongly resist the board-gamer's instinct toward completism. Instead, EMBRACE the fact that everyone has their own individual slice of the game; the appeal is very similar to the appeal of Cosmic Encounter's aliens, in that everyone is going to approach the game with different powers and from a different perspective.

The other key is to do the following:
1) Get a playgroup together (which could be just contained in the family!)
2) Set strict spending rules for that playgroup!!! If "your real world bank account is a gaming component", as Shellhead says: in a game where that were actually true, wouldn't there certainly be rules that everyone starts with the same amount of money in that account? The spending rules can be simply "we're all going to spend $40 and then stop", or "we're all going to buy 1 booster a week", etc. Restrict purchases to boosters.
3) Allow trading WITHIN the playgroup. No purchasing of singles or trading for singles outside the playgroup.

I set up an enormously popular Magic league at the school where I work; other teachers have commented that, even to them, it appears to be the single biggest thing at school. Students play Magic *all the time*: they're getting several matches of Magic in every single day. How much do they spend? $7.50 a month, with NO exceptions. I'm willing to bet they've gotten more play/$ value than nearly anyone on this site has gotten from any game they've ever purchased (with the POSSIBLE exception of Gary Sax). No one gives a hoot that they don't have a "complete set"; instead, they relish that Catrin has an Olivia Voldaren, but Eli's got a Gideon Jura, so playing against those two people gives two entirely different experiences.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, Gregarius

More
29 Dec 2016 15:33 #241488 by ChristopherMD
Or I could just buy something else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels, Rafael Silva

More
03 Jan 2017 10:35 #241713 by barrowdown
If you are still looking, I think my FLGS still has some starters. I've been away so I haven't stopped in to see their actual stock levels, but they posted pictures when they arrived. Their method of inventory management seems to be to buy a lot at once and let it trickle out.

More
03 Jan 2017 11:27 #241719 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, if they've got them at retail I want a set...don't want to pay scalper prices for them though, should be $14.95. Let me know and I'll paypal you plus shipping and handling.

More
03 Jan 2017 16:29 #241737 by Jexik
Sounds like ANA really screwed up production and distribution on this one. There's a guy local to my area who has 20 stores under his wing now and he went into a rant on it.

More
03 Jan 2017 16:52 #241738 by Msample
From what I understand the dice are the biggest choke point, being not only custom, but unique to each different card and taking a lot longer to produce than normal . My guess is they got short shipped on what they ordered from the factory.

I know its popular to bash the evil Asmodee empire, but to be fair, this is their first foray into a CCG type game. Dice Masters went through this feast and famine cycle for the first several years it was out.

Doesn't mean it isn't aggravating. Short term, I suspect the extremely short supply is driving up singles prices as well.

The Team Covenant site had complete sets on preorder for $300, but sold out .

More
03 Jan 2017 18:39 #241747 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, I kind of wonder if something went on with the production. There's this weird piece of cardboard in the booster packs that looks like it is die cut to hold a die...but there's no way a die would stay in it and it wouldn't really have any effect on anything in the package anyway. I don't get it. And then there's the whole sorting issue, which I bet is a problem with the dice. It's also pretty clear that either demand was underestimated...at my FLGS, the guy told me that there was ZERO interest in it but then somebody came and bought the entire box of starters, presumably to scalp. So it's one of those thing where there's just enough of a discrepancy between supply and demand to cause a Dutch Tulip panic. Which may completely vanish when supplies are refreshed in a couple of weeks/months.

More
05 Jan 2017 14:50 #241870 by barrowdown
Sorry Barnes, looks like my FLGS has the same issue as other places. Nothing in stock.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds