October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Is anyone able to buy Star Wars Destiny?

More
05 Jan 2017 16:54 #241871 by boothwah

dragonstout wrote: The trick with any collectible game is to strongly resist the board-gamer's instinct toward completism. Instead, EMBRACE the fact that everyone has their own individual slice of the game; the appeal is very similar to the appeal of Cosmic Encounter's aliens, in that everyone is going to approach the game with different powers and from a different perspective.

The other key is to do the following:
1) Get a playgroup together (which could be just contained in the family!)
2) Set strict spending rules for that playgroup!!! If "your real world bank account is a gaming component", as Shellhead says: in a game where that were actually true, wouldn't there certainly be rules that everyone starts with the same amount of money in that account? The spending rules can be simply "we're all going to spend $40 and then stop", or "we're all going to buy 1 booster a week", etc. Restrict purchases to boosters.
3) Allow trading WITHIN the playgroup. No purchasing of singles or trading for singles outside the playgroup.

I set up an enormously popular Magic league at the school where I work; other teachers have commented that, even to them, it appears to be the single biggest thing at school. Students play Magic *all the time*: they're getting several matches of Magic in every single day. How much do they spend? $7.50 a month, with NO exceptions. I'm willing to bet they've gotten more play/$ value than nearly anyone on this site has gotten from any game they've ever purchased (with the POSSIBLE exception of Gary Sax). No one gives a hoot that they don't have a "complete set"; instead, they relish that Catrin has an Olivia Voldaren, but Eli's got a Gideon Jura, so playing against those two people gives two entirely different experiences.

This. Had the most fun ever a couple of years getting back into MtG with my daughter and we restricted the collections to what we pulled out of the draft and sealed nights that we did when we got together. Was a ton of fun.

I'm currently putting something together like that for the huge vs system collection I have - breaking it down into sets and cubes - Will be teaching a bunch of middle schoolers to play in a weekly league and they'll each have a bin to store their "collections."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2017 17:18 #241872 by southernman
Strangely they're still available at some UK online shops (including Amazon) for retail price - think the shipping may be a bit of a killer for you ... but check out boardgameguru.co.uk and Aamzon.co.uk if interested.

More
08 Jun 2018 01:07 - 08 Jun 2018 01:08 #274957 by Colorcrayons
So I bought a two player starter at Target for the spawnling.

I didn't realize that upon purchasing it, that it was half off. I also didn't realize until after going home to research it that two starters is the best way to buy this product.

So I'm off in the morning to buy that second starter for him.

That said, each starter gives you a deck of 20 cards. That gives you another 20 to mess around with to deck build.

Has anyone seen a recommendation anywhere on how to make fairly balanced decks out of two starters?

I don't want to mess around with deck building first time around. Just want to learn and teach the spawnling the game without getting into that fuss straight away, but also to play with the 30card legal decks.

Any suggestions at all?
Last edit: 08 Jun 2018 01:08 by Colorcrayons.

More
08 Jun 2018 02:37 #274958 by ecargo
I have some extra commons and uncommons if you want them. I can put together a list if you're interested.

More
08 Jun 2018 07:31 #274965 by stormseeker75

Colorcrayons wrote: So I bought a two player starter at Target for the spawnling.

I didn't realize that upon purchasing it, that it was half off. I also didn't realize until after going home to research it that two starters is the best way to buy this product.

So I'm off in the morning to buy that second starter for him.

That said, each starter gives you a deck of 20 cards. That gives you another 20 to mess around with to deck build.

Has anyone seen a recommendation anywhere on how to make fairly balanced decks out of two starters?

I don't want to mess around with deck building first time around. Just want to learn and teach the spawnling the game without getting into that fuss straight away, but also to play with the 30card legal decks.

Any suggestions at all?

Just play with 1 starter to learn. There's enough there to learn the game. Otherwise you are deckbuilding right from the start.

More
08 Jun 2018 08:25 #274967 by sornars
Anybody interested in getting an unplayed Boba Fett starter pack for free? Reply to the post to let others know and PM me your address and I'll send it out to you. I'm in the UK so shipping to the US might be a bit slow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dontbecruel

More
08 Jun 2018 08:47 - 08 Jun 2018 08:50 #274968 by Sagrilarus

Colorcrayons wrote: I don't want to mess around with deck building first time around. Just want to learn and teach the spawnling the game without getting into that fuss straight away, but also to play with the 30card legal decks.

Split the extras in half and play. Once you have two or three runs under you you can start exchanging cards between the decks.

People whine about CCGs, but at $3 a pack it's fun to buy and crack them open. They make great rewards for chores done, jobs accomplished around the house, etc. And they don't add calories to the kid (or you) like a milkshake would.
Last edit: 08 Jun 2018 08:50 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
08 Jun 2018 12:09 - 08 Jun 2018 12:10 #274987 by dontbecruel
Sornars, I’m in the UK and would love this if no one else has already gone for it. Thanks!
Last edit: 08 Jun 2018 12:10 by dontbecruel.

More
08 Jun 2018 13:17 #274998 by Josh Look
The 2 player starters are marked down at Target right now.

More
08 Jun 2018 13:44 #275004 by Michael Barnes
I’m actually about to sell my collection. Not playing, not staying. Love it, but it’s just sitting right now.

More
08 Jun 2018 15:07 #275015 by sornars
And dontbecruel claims it. I’ll have that in the post sometime next week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dontbecruel

More
13 Jun 2018 03:11 #275270 by dontbecruel

sornars wrote: And dontbecruel claims it. I’ll have that in the post sometime next week.

You’re a total gent

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds