October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Arkham Horror LCG

More
24 Oct 2017 17:12 - 24 Oct 2017 17:16 #256270 by ThirstyMan
Arkham Horror LCG was created by ThirstyMan
So here's an after action report of the first scenario in the base game. I've got starter decks for Roland and Wendy. Roland is usually good with the big guns (if you draw them) and a pretty good investigator (well he is FBI). Wendy is good at dodging and generally sneaking around. Both are good investigators and you need this as the events are on a clock. Roland gets distracted by an Icy Ghoul which manages to use up most of the ammo from the 45 he handily got issued by the Feds. Shit not much left for the boss, one bullet only.

It all comes down to the big boss fight. Oh no, a swarm of rats enters the room as well as the big boss. Luckily Wendy has a stray cat which runs off distracting the rats. Roland proceeds to empty his 45 into the boss but Wendy really does the business. She back stabs the boss and then activates her magic amulet which allows her to repeat the back stab by distorting time (or something) .......aaand the boss hits the floor with a resounding bang. Several knives in the back and a gunshot to the chest will usually do the trick.

So Wendy and Roland escape with no mental or physical trauma and we're onto Scenario 2 (of three). Now its time to find out who the evil little cultist bastards actually are. Is it that weirdo hairdresser or perhaps the gynaecologist at the hospital? We won't know until we start torturing the fuckers.

More soon.
Last edit: 24 Oct 2017 17:16 by ThirstyMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2017 03:58 - 29 Oct 2017 03:59 #256533 by __
Replied by __ on topic Arkham Horror LCG
Nice!
I'll have to do a session report sometime. Last night we played the 2nd core scenario with our own custom built decks and managed to bag all the cultists, though we realised later that we AGAIN made the mistake of "helping" each other with skill tests even when not in the same location so we will probably not log that result as I also realised most people dont do so well in the scenario

the high point might have been when
Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 29 Oct 2017 03:59 by __.

More
29 Oct 2017 15:55 #256552 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Arkham Horror LCG
It is extraordinarily hard to capture all cultists in the time frame given. Remember every doom token on ANY monster counts so the clock is running twice as fast as normal with all the cultists with 1 doom on them spawning all the time.

The flying thing will dump you in the centre regardless of whether you pass or fail. That's a damage check.

Played the second scenario and got the evil doctor guy but then got fucked by the stalker due to getting timed out.

Third scenario was a joke. Both vaporised in 0.01 s. Good times though. I love how balls hard this game is and how each run is different with different styles for every character.

After losing so badly I had play a quick Eldritch Horror to get my confidence back. We confidently saved the world from some unpronounceable asshole.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

More
30 Oct 2017 17:01 - 31 Oct 2017 02:28 #256629 by __
I should have said we are playing "Easy" level, we replayed again being very careful to check the rules and its not so bad,
Warning: Spoiler!

Up to 14 XP now, looking forward to the devourer, I have heard you can get quickly mauled.

Heres my Roland Deck
34 cost with 1 cache, "Ive had worse" and ever vigilant makes it a pretty snappy deck.

Asset (7)
Hand
1x .45 Automatic
1x Flashlight
2x Machete

Ally
2x Beat Cop ••
Other
1x Pathfinder •

Event (11)
2x "I've had worse…" ••••
1x "Let me handle this!"
2x Dodge
1x Emergency Cache
1x Ever Vigilant •
2x Evidence!
2x Working a Hunch

Skill (12)
1x Deduction
2x Guts
2x Inquiring Mind
2x Overpower
1x Perception
2x Unexpected Courage
2x Vicious Blow

Asset (2)
Hand
1x Roland's .38 Special
Ally
1x Lita Chantler

Treachery (2)
1x Cover Up
1x Psychosis
Last edit: 31 Oct 2017 02:28 by __.

More
31 Oct 2017 08:52 #256663 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Arkham Horror LCG
Doom tokens rapidly multiply with bad token draws.
I'm playing on Standard difficulty. with base cards only

Yes, I read the Reddit blurb on that card. You're right.

More
01 Nov 2017 17:39 #256809 by __
Yeah, standard with base cards might explain it. theres a lot of better cards in the expansions (and the scenario itself isnt scaled properly is it, only the one guy has health scaled to player number, but the main goal of the mission is the same regardless of player count which is weird. On Easy you basically get lots of skill tests where only the picture tokens can mess it up for you, I think to the detriment of the game, I just read so many people saying that once you get into the later scenarios you will have enough crap to deal with without worrying about the token screw. I think once we have a go at the third core scenario we might start over at standard or even hard and do it again
I cant bring myself to play it solo, if anything I am more keen to find a couple of other people to try and get a regular 3 or 4 player meetup going

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds