October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Trashfest Northeast 2013: The Official Thread

More
12 Aug 2013 21:45 - 15 Oct 2013 14:48 #158408 by repoman
Trashfest Northeast: <suitable subtitle to be added later>

The concept of Trashfest Northeast is to have a laid back couple of days in which to play our favorite games amongst others of a like mind in a relaxed atmosphere.

I am no con organizer by any stretch but I will do my best to make things run smoothly and to aid you in any questions or logistical problems you may have. Rides to and from airports/trainstations/bus stations will all be worked out. I'll give you some recommendations on where to stay and where you can go to eat. I will also attempt to answer other relavent questions you may have as best I can.

I will use this thread to add info periodically so refer back to the original post now and again as I will be editing it.

Q: When is it?
A: Friday November 8th through Sunday November 10th, 2013 (That's Veteran's Day Weekend so you may have that Monday off for traveling back home)

Q: Where is it?
A: The Elks Lodge #1359
9 North Park St
Vernon, CT 06066

Q: Who can come?
A: Anyone who would like to so long as they aren't jerks. No jerks allowed.

Q: What games will we play?
A: Any as long as they don't suck. No sucky games allowed.

Q: How much will it cost?
A: Base cost as of now is $15 per person for the two days to cover the rental. (This may alter a little depending on how many people are coming)

Q: What should I bring?
A: Any and all games you think you might want to play.

Below are more details.

The Location

The Elks Lodge in Vernon is located in a large mansion that used to belong to one of the prominent mill owners in town. It is really a fantastic building. I have rented the dining room and a room off of it as well as the kitchen for the Saturday and Sunday 11/9 and 11/10.

Friday night, those who wish to, can play and hang in the lounge area. I or Engineer Al will have to sign you in but as the woman in charge told me "You are a member. You can have as many guests as you want".

Part of the contract that I signed says that we will bring in no outside alcohol. Not to worry. There is a full bar at the location and the prices are cheap and the beer is cold. So you really don't need to bring in your own booze. Also, if the bartender is making money (via your tips) he/she will be inclined to stay later than normal and let us game longer. Smoking is allowed in the building (it's a private club) but I'll ask you now to smoke only in the bar area and not the room we are gaming in. That's only polite to those who don't smoke at all.

As it stands, we have until midnight on Saturday and 10pm on Sunday. I need to clear up at what time we can arrive but I'm hoping for 10am.

As I mentioned we have use of the kitchen. If enough people are interested, my wife has offered to cater the affair. A small lunch and a good dinner on both days. If you don't know, among my wife's many talents is the ability to create delicious meals. However, food costs money. I will need a specific head count of those who wish her to make food so that she will know how much to buy. The cost will then be split and everybody pays an equal share.

Chef Peggy's Menu!

As of now Peggy thinks $10 per meal will be the cost. That's $40 if you couldn't do the math.

Saturday Lunch:

Soup and Sandwiches!
4 kinds of panninis:
1)Caprisio Sandwich (Mozzarella, tomato, and pesto)
2)Roast Beef with a horseradish mayo
3)Turkey with cranberry sauce
3 kinds of soup:
1)Parmesan Soup with Cajun Shrimp Garnish
2)Chicken with Wild Rice
3)Tortellini Vegetable

Saturday Dinner:
Three Entrees!
1)Roast Beef Dinner
2)Chicken Marsala
3)Ziti with Sauce
Sides: Rolls, mixed vegetables, roasted potato, tossed salad

Sunday Lunch:

Belly Up to the Taco Bar!
Chicken or beef with usual toppings
Sides: Rice and Beans, Mexican Corn, Chips with Queso

Sunday Dinner:
Italiano Exceptionale!
Pasta Alfredo with Chicken on the Side (in case your a vegitarian)
Stuffed Pasta (Shells or Manacotti)
Baked Ziti
Sides: Meatballs & Sausage, Tossed salad, Garlic bread

You must indicate by no later than 11/7/13 if you wish to have some of this awesome menu by telling me so through a PM. If you don't you will be relegated to foraging for your own food at McDonald's or whatever.

Lets face it, with a "value meal" costing you $8 or so anyway, you'd be kind of silly not to join in on the feast.

Events!

You like Heroscape? Of course you do. How do I know? Because you're not a complete idiot! Prepare then for..

Heroscape-a-go-go

Friday night we will be taking over the lounge/poolroom area. Josh will be setting up some terrain. And then, True Believers, we will unleash carnage on a scale proportional to the minis!

How awesome is that?!

Lodgings:

There is no place to stay within walking distance of the lodge. However, there are many hotels of varying quality with a few miles of it. In the coming days I will post up links to the ones that don't rent by the hour.

Transportation:

If you arrive by rail or plane or bus, I or somebody like me will come and fetch you. Have no fear. Bradley International in Windsor Locks is around 1/2 hour away. The train station in Hartford is maybe 20 min. away. So it won't be a big deal. If you're the independent type that wants to rent a car, Enterprise has a location less than a mile from the lodge.

Here let me issue a word of caution. The road layout of Vernon is that of a loose triangle. Three roads must be used to get anywhere in town. This means the cops camp these three roads all weekend long. I call it Hogan's Alley because they just pick off drunk drivers at their leisure. You are all adults and have been warned. I have the number of a cab company on my smart phone. Not sayin....just sayin.
Last edit: 15 Oct 2013 14:48 by repoman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2013 21:48 - 04 Nov 2013 16:21 #158409 by repoman
Who's coming?

Send me a private message and I will add you to the below list. (L&D) indicates you wish to eat the food prepared by my wife.

Definite:

Jeff "Repoman" Luce (L&D)
Saul "The Most Interesting Man in Gaming" Nachshen (L&D)
Matt "Fantastic" Loter
Josh "Boss Man" Look (L&D)
Shellie "Uba" Rose (L&D)
Al "Engineer" Rose (L&D)
Trish "Fantastic" Loter
Bernie "B-Styles" Frick (L&D)
Billy "Call me Puck" Zavos (L&D)
El "Capo of The Brooklyn Board Game Mafia" Skootro (L&D)
Oct "banning like a boss" Tavian (L&D)
King "Spice Man" Putt (L&D)
Jeff "Power to the Meeple" Bourbeau
Excessive "But Not Overwhelming" Farce (Friend of Legomancer)
Jason "Thrilling You Softly" Lutes
Brandon "Bl4kLotus" Patton (L&D)
Mad "Barking Mad" Dog (L&D)
Paul "Nicknameless" Pernal (L&D) (Saturday only)
Ethan "The Boy Genius" Pernal (L&D) (Saturday only)
Dan "Might as Well be Playin' Frisbee" Raspler (L&D) (Saturday only)
Lego "I Will Building Block You To Death" Mancer

Maybe:

Gary "My Wallet Hurts" Sax
Dave "he's right behind you" Roswell
Last edit: 04 Nov 2013 16:21 by repoman.

More
13 Aug 2013 02:28 #158423 by Gary Sax
What other airports are reasonable drive (especially large airports that might have cheap flights)? I'm looking at flights. I don't think I can swing it, but if I find a great flight...

More
13 Aug 2013 02:51 #158425 by MattFantastic
I have already dubbed thee, REPOPALOOZA! I know not of this "Trashfest".

Gary Sax wrote: What other airports are reasonable drive (especially large airports that might have cheap flights)? I'm looking at flights. I don't think I can swing it, but if I find a great flight...

Expand to NYC airports and we can make it happen for you. Might demand that you either buy me drinks if I come to collect you direct or you take a commuter train up (like $12 or $14 or something, I forget exactly cause it keeps going up). Same goes for others, though I can only do so much so it's limited by space concerns.

I also extended the offer of an extended pre/post con at the Loter Love Den / drinking up and down the gold coast for anyone who wants to make it more of a lengthy stay. And we do have sleeping room for that, but I'm not driving back and forth between my house and the Repozone each day.

PS: you can add me to the maybe list, gotta see if anyone cool is going or not before I commit.

More
13 Aug 2013 03:38 - 13 Aug 2013 03:39 #158428 by ubarose

Gary Sax wrote: What other airports are reasonable drive (especially large airports that might have cheap flights)? I'm looking at flights. I don't think I can swing it, but if I find a great flight...

White Plains (HPN), Providence (PVD) and Boston (BOS) are each about 90 minutes - 2 hour drive. White Plains is near Matt and the prices flying in there fluctuate a lot, and sometimes drop significantly (by like $200).
Last edit: 13 Aug 2013 03:39 by ubarose.

More
13 Aug 2013 04:02 #158429 by Gary Sax
Thanks guys. Boston isn't terrible... probably can't make it but I'll put a kayak price alert on Boston and Hartford and see what happens.

More
13 Aug 2013 04:56 #158431 by repoman

MattLoter wrote:
PS: you can add me to the maybe list, gotta see if anyone cool is going or not before I commit.

I did say I was going to be there. And send me a pm to let me know if you want Peggy food or if you plan to scavenge the dumpster at Taco Bell.

More
13 Aug 2013 14:35 #158440 by Schweig!

repoman wrote: Q: Who can come?
A: Anyone who would like to so long as they aren't jerks. No jerks allowed.

Does that mean one jerk would be allowed?

More
13 Aug 2013 15:07 #158448 by repoman
If you've got the time Schweig.

More
13 Aug 2013 16:33 #158470 by ubarose
Al and I will be there. Hopefully we won't be in the middle of moving house madness.

More
13 Aug 2013 17:45 #158480 by ChristopherMD

More
13 Aug 2013 18:08 #158481 by Trisha Loter
I'll be there, with or without Matt.

More
14 Aug 2013 01:52 #158509 by Bernie

More
14 Aug 2013 07:40 #158514 by Schweig!

repoman wrote: If you've got the time Schweig.

Don't be repossessing my punchlines!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, repoman

More
15 Aug 2013 01:03 #158587 by repoman
Rare and exciting photos added to OP for your perusal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.390 seconds