October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

AnCon 2014

More
09 Mar 2014 19:22 - 09 Mar 2014 23:27 #173200 by hotseatgames
AnCon 2014 was created by hotseatgames
www.anothergamecon.com/

I had not heard of this con before, but it's only a couple of hours away from me and it's geared to playtesting new stuff... so I'm taking my new game to demo.

Anyone else going to this?

I just realized I signed up to demo my game for 10 hours straight... I'm not sure how I'm going to pull that off.
Last edit: 09 Mar 2014 23:27 by hotseatgames.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2014 21:21 #173722 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Re: AnCon 2014
So yeah.... looks like no one is coming to this thing. But anyway-

I'm trying to work out how my demo setup will go. Here's the deal; the game is now 3 or 4 players only. A short game is 4 rounds and takes 2 hours. Med. game is 6 rounds and takes 3 hours, and the full deal is 8 rounds and takes 4 hours.

You need a couple of rounds just to figure out what's going on and to start to see how things work. It's not a filler game by any stretch.

So my question to you is, do you think it's better to just start everyone at the beginning of a 4 round game and either let it go to 4 rounds or possibly cut it at 3? -OR- create some artificial mid-point where they already have some stuff that they theoretically acquired, and have them start at round 6.

I am inclined to have them start from the beginning and just cut it off early. I want as many people to try it as possible, but at the same time, I want them to see enough of it to actually form an opinion. One of the influences of this game was Chaos in the Old World. You just don't figure out CitOW in 1 hour.

Thoughts?

More
18 Mar 2014 00:21 #173726 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Re: AnCon 2014

hotseatgames wrote: I just realized I signed up to demo my game for 10 hours straight... I'm not sure how I'm going to pull that off.

Adult diapers.

Not knowing anything about your game outside of being influenced by CitOW is hard. If you've posted elsewhere about your game I missed it.

That said - Would it be possible to create a mini-scenario? Some sort of short term goal that gives the players some sort of direction? Your pattern is 30 mins per round, so what does the game situation typically look like after the first round and can a scenario be created from that?

More
18 Mar 2014 00:30 - 18 Mar 2014 00:31 #173727 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Re: AnCon 2014
VonTush is onto something.

A four-hour demo of an unpublished and new-to-me game would be hard to sell me on. I can do a lot of things in four hours of game time.

If you can figure out a highlight scenario, or jumpstart the action somehow, you could increase your turnover (so you get more eyes on the game), and hopefully not impact the effect of the game too much.

If you have extra copies you could even run the short demo and let the new converts play a deeper game after they're hooked and you're running new groups (space permitting, of course).

Hopefully things go well for you there.
Last edit: 18 Mar 2014 00:31 by Not Sure.

More
18 Mar 2014 08:54 - 18 Mar 2014 08:57 #173734 by hotseatgames
I talk about it briefly here: fortressat.com/blogs-by-designers/4541

It's called City of Lycans. It's essentially an ameritrash worker placement game. Each player builds an economic engine while trying to tear down other player's engines.

Round for round you gain in power as you build more businesses and get race upgrades. Also, the later rounds tend to be bloodier, so perhaps I should construct a "full game" demo consisting of the last 3 rounds.

On the other hand, if they get into it, having the game abruptly end might just give them a bad impression.
Last edit: 18 Mar 2014 08:57 by hotseatgames.

More
18 Mar 2014 10:10 #173736 by VonTush
Ah, I missed that one.

What's the expectations for the attendees? Are they going in with a Wine Tasting mentality where you get an ounce and move on then come back to the ones they like? Or a Wold Beer Tour where you're downing pints at a time and by the end of the night its all a blur? Are people expecting a short sample for your prototype or long session in other words?

The website is blocked here at work so I can't read up on the con.

Personally I think a more limited scope is the better approach, dropping a player into a game where everything is on the board is overwhelming. An early short term goal starting off from the beginning provides some direction for the gamer, what good "first steps" are in other words. And personally, if I were attending a convention where there are tons of prototypes to experience I would like to sample and then move on and then try to setup an appointment to come back to really dig into the ones that interest me by playing a full game. I'd start fidgeting if a game was eating up limited time without a way out, especially if the game wasn't engaging me.

With each race having different traits, strengths and weaknesses could each race have their own short term goal to accomplish that would also highlight different aspects of the game?

I'm just spitballing some ideas here.

More
18 Mar 2014 11:50 #173756 by hotseatgames
I'm really not sure what people's expectations are going to be. They register for 2 hour tickets for the prototype testing, but I doubt that means that they think they are going to play one game for 2 hours.

Each race has one or two things that they excel at, and if those things are capitalized on, the player increases his chances of winning. When you don't play to your race's strengths, winning is pretty UN-certain. I know this because I've done it; I tend to play every race like they are werewolves, and that doesn't work.

Maybe I should start everyone at the beginning, and explain that after 2 rounds they can quit or play a 3rd round. By then they will see how things work; no one may have attacked anyone yet though, unless they are just being reckless to see how the combat works.

More
18 Mar 2014 12:01 #173758 by VonTush
You know, it almost sounds like you should go in with two or three options and just play it by ear once you get the vibe on what people's expectations are.
Maybe after round two "The villagers rise up" and people go to combat against random villagers so they get a feel for that. Whoever survives the villager's attack passed the tutorial or something.

More
18 Mar 2014 12:52 #173768 by hotseatgames
I should definitely prepare multiple demos.

This is a modern city, and the "villagers" are FOOD. :) They don't rise up. They get eaten up.

More
18 Mar 2014 13:40 #173776 by VonTush
Blade shows up then? Or does he just fight vampires?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds