October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Trashfest Northeast 2014: The Official Thread

More
07 Nov 2014 22:24 #190241 by Sagrilarus

Gary Sax wrote: Really bums me out to miss it, had checked in, gotten my boarding pass and everything. But dad's emergency brain surgery is, in fact, more important than boardgames. He's doing well, though, on the plus side.

Holy crap dude! Wish him the best from all of us. Stay strong for him.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2014 00:21 #190246 by KingPut

Gary Sax wrote: Really bums me out to miss it, had checked in, gotten my boarding pass and everything. But dad's emergency brain surgery is, in fact, more important than boardgames. He's doing well, though, on the plus side.

Take care. Hope everything goes well with your dad.

More
08 Nov 2014 07:00 #190249 by repoman
Glad he is doing well, Steve. Everybody was sorry to hear you couldn't make it. Just means you have to wait until March for ConnCon.

More
08 Nov 2014 07:04 - 08 Nov 2014 07:05 #190250 by repoman
Day one: Crokinole, Cornerstone (still one of the most under rated games of all time), and Merchants and Marauders which I would have won if Barney hadn't ambushed my drunken ass as I was sailing to port to bank my ill gotten gains and sank my ship and stolen my stuff. He won instead.....but there is blood on his hands.

Others played Dead of Winter, Firefly, and Space Cadets: Away Missions.
Last edit: 08 Nov 2014 07:05 by repoman.

More
09 Nov 2014 08:25 #190287 by KingPut
Saturday was a great day at Trashfest: DC deck builder, Dead of Winter, Clash of Cultures, Manions of Madness, Shadow Hunters, Robinson Curiso, Buffy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
09 Nov 2014 10:32 #190293 by repoman
I had a great time yesterday too. I played Conquest of Paradise, Tumblin' Dice, Dead of Winter, Run Fight or Die, and most interestingly Warfighter.

Also the Taco Bar was a smash hit. Lots of peeps and no tom foolery other than Jay offering to perform amateur dentistry on Matt Loter.

"Dude it'll come out so easy," as he pulled a leatherman multi-tool from his pocket.

No! just No.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer

More
10 Nov 2014 13:07 #190354 by jay718
Amateur? I've removed plenty of teeth Jeff. I had an awesome time this weekend, and got a ton of great games in. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to some of you; we realized how little time we had to make our bus and had to leave directly without crossing the street. So glad I was able to make it up, It's always a blast getting a chance to hang out with you guys. Thanks again for putting on such an awesome event Jeff, and thanks to the Roses for carting Saul and I around.

More
10 Nov 2014 14:40 #190365 by Legomancer
I'll be doing a write-up soon but work is kicking my ass today. Had a great time, and thanks to Jeff for arranging this and Jeff's wife for the great dinner.

More
10 Nov 2014 16:52 #190394 by Legomancer
Here's my writeup of the event:

Trashfest Northeast 2014

Has it been a whole year since the inaugural Trashfest? It has, and I was there on Saturday to partake.

I headed down to Connecticut and met up with some folks I already knew, plus met some other folks.

I started out with what I consider to be a tradition: Ascending Empires on Jeff's super de-luxe board. It's a beautiful thing, this plexiglass wonder that his wife got made, and I have been tempted to just hand him a credit card and say, "I don't want to know the details, just make this happen for me." I tried a mining strategy that might have gotten me a win if I'd committed to it more.

Next I played Theseus: The Dark Orbit with Mike. I hadn't played as the aliens in a while, and Mike throwing up a firewall and then enhancing it made my life a living hell. Towards the end of the game I finally started to get something going, but it was far too late and I got crushed. It was a nice reminder of how much I enjoy this game, though, and I need to get it played more.

Next I played one that was new to me, Moongha Invaders, a game about giant monsters and the mad scientists who love them. It was a lot of fun, though we only had three and it's best with four, where the mayhem really ramps up. It's unfortunately out of print and the subject of a long-delayed and lamentable Kickstarter, but I'd love to get my hands on this.

The next game I played was perfect for Trashfest. I met Mindy, who really likes Agricola, a game about farming. The thing about Agricola is, there are all these decks you can play it with that change the game some, one of which is The X-Deck , a deck full of aliens and goofiness. Mindy's problem is that fans of Agricola don't like the wacky shenanigans and fans of wacky shenanigans don't like Agricola. I'm not a fan of Agricola, but I was definitely down for the aliens decks. During our game we found alien poop that helped grow crops, someone's animals got shrunk, alien Tripods demanded tribute, Mindy's farmer got drafted into the rebellion against the evil galactic empire, and I got Woozles, which were Tribbles, which I had to feed, or else they'd run off and lose me points. But I fed the damn Woozles and they got me beaucoup points at the end, tying me for first place! In addition to enjoying the extraterrestrial happenings, I also enjoyed this game of Agricola more, as I finally felt like I had a handle on building my farm, despite having to give tribute to the Tripods every turn.

Next came dinner, for which the wife of the event's organizer had prepared a fantastic taco bar that was like heaven.

After stuffing my face, I taught Mike and Mindy Imperial Settlers. I had a good game as the Japanese, but they picked it up fast and the game was close. I think they both enjoyed it.

Mike finally extricated himself from me and for the last game I taught Paul(? I think?) and his son Ethan how to play The New Era. This is a tough game to both teach and learn, and I had all the expansions mixed in, so I imagined we'd play a few rounds and they'd get a feel for it. Instead they both picked it up FAST. Ethan especially had a sweet engine running in no time, totally twigging to how the cards worked together. We ended up finishing the whole game with a very tight score as a result. I think they dug the game.

After that I headed out, not having locked my keys in my car this time.

I only played one new-to-me game, but I had a great time with all the folks there. I saw a bunch of things that I'd like to try out, such as Run, Fight, or Die, The Great Heartland Hauling Company, and Warfighter. I was sorry I didn't get to play games with all the folks I knew there, and I was really hoping to get in a game of Marrying Mr. Darcy with that crowd. There's always Trashfest 2015, though!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, repoman, Egg Shen

More
10 Nov 2014 18:23 #190402 by repoman
Ethan has been great at learning, playing and winning games for years. I think he was around 11 when I met him and he's now closing in on 15 or so. He's a real nice kid....who will destroy you if you aren't careful.

More
10 Nov 2014 21:33 #190410 by ubarose
Totally awesome weekend. Still recovering. Can't remember all the games I played, but I do remember the people. Still laughing over some of the unforgettable moments.

More
10 Nov 2014 22:40 - 10 Nov 2014 22:41 #190415 by Josh Look
I had a great time. Thanks, Jeff. I didn't get to play Exodus, which was at the top of my to do list, nor did I get to play Firefly with the Blue Sun expansion that I got for my birthday, but that's okay. I have plenty of time ahead of me to be sour about it.
Last edit: 10 Nov 2014 22:41 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: repoman

More
11 Nov 2014 03:30 #190423 by repoman

Josh Look wrote: I had a great time. Thanks, Jeff. I didn't get to play Exodus, which was at the top of my to do list, nor did I get to play Firefly with the Blue Sun expansion that I got for my birthday, but that's okay. I have plenty of time ahead of me to be sour about it.

But you did play Space Hulk. So all was not lost.

More
11 Nov 2014 09:03 #190433 by Saul Goodman

jay718 wrote: Thanks again for putting on such an awesome event Jeff, and thanks to the Roses for carting Saul and I around.

Yes! Thanks so much!!! And thanks Peggy for the tacos!
The weekend was awesome. So glad I came up for it.

More
11 Nov 2014 10:55 #190448 by Dr. Mabuse
Sweet Baal, even in the frozen backwater gulag of Canuckistan, we managed to take a photo or two of Trashfest NW.

Did not one FA:Tie take pictures of the humans attending the event? Then again this was held in the country where the lunar landing was faked so.... (ducks and runs for cover)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hatchling

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds