October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

I need more advice on trip to Amsterdam and Copenhagen

More
27 Jan 2015 13:47 - 01 Feb 2015 23:00 #196337 by ubarose
Is it worth going to Skagen?
Is it worth going to Ribe?
What is an interesting place to stay for a day or two about half way between Amsterdam and Copenhagen?
Last edit: 01 Feb 2015 23:00 by ubarose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2015 03:42 #196411 by mads b.
I've never been to those places, but I think it depends on the time of the year and what you are after. Skagen is famous for the light and the beach (and the painters) whereas one of interesting things about Ribe is Vadehavet. So if you're into nature I think both places are nice options, but if you want architecture and city life, both places are really small.

Sorry, now I'm not helping much ...

More
28 Jan 2015 07:54 #196414 by schlupp
Copenhagen is such a great city, Skagen on the other hand is, in my opinion, not worth going. I've been going to Norway by ferry all my life from Hirtshals, and we would never have stayed even one minute longer than we had to. Considering the distance from CPH it will for sure be a disappointment.

Ribe I know nothing about, but if you like to see the Wadden Sea, birdlife and enjoy windy weather it might be worth going. Probably also depends on the weather. I doubt a little bit that it will be that spectacular.

If you are looking for other things to do in Denmark you could go to Roskilde (and check out the viking museum), Legoland in Billund (super expensive though) or take a trip to Malmö, Sweden. Odense, on the way to CPH and one of Denmark's oldest cities, is also beautiful.

An interesting place between Amsterdam (also a great city, btw) and Copenhagen? Hamburg, of course!!! Next to Berlin, Munich and Cologne the biggest and most interesting city in Germany: check out the Reeperbahn in St Pauli, the harbour, the fish market, the Elbe and the Alster etc. It is typically 'north German', which will deviate a lot from the stereotypical 'south German' cliché of Lederhosen, Pretzels, white beer and military marches. Check out more info here: english.hamburg.de/

Also, if you are traveling by car through Germany (Autobahn, no speed limit) you'll probably pass Tarp in the Treenevalley shortly before crossing the Danish border. That's where I grew up. :) In case you have specific questions for your trip, let me know.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
28 Jan 2015 08:58 #196422 by Gary Sax
I would love to visit Hamburg!

More
28 Jan 2015 15:21 - 28 Jan 2015 15:22 #196460 by ubarose
Yes, I forgot to say that we are renting a car and doing this as a road trip.

Roskilde and Odense are on our itinerary, as we will be passing through on our way to/from Copenhagen. We are going by way of Schleswig-Holstein to see the city my great-grandfather was from.

Thank you for your the replies. So far these answers don't make our decisions any easier.

My dad is a bird watcher. I guess that makes what he finds exciting a bit different then most people. We are trying to decide between the bird sanctuary at Vadehavet, and the raptor migration in Skagen. But we want to go somewhere that won't totally bore my step-mom. My dad will happily hike around taking pictures of birds, but my step-mom is less mobile.

Do any of you know if Skagen's reputation for having a unique light is true?

@ Schlupp, is Skagen a dump, or just dull, other than the birds and the dunes. I don't want to take my parents to someplace skeevy.

We have all been to Hamburg. My dad is adamant that it is dreadfully boring and horrible and my step-mother will just want to shop until she bankrupts him and we must avoid going there.
Last edit: 28 Jan 2015 15:22 by ubarose.

More
28 Jan 2015 15:43 - 28 Jan 2015 15:56 #196465 by mads b.
the light thing is true. I'm sure if you read about the Skagen painters you can learn more about it.

Odense is nice, but honestly a bit boring. I think it's a good idea to have some ideas as to what you want to see there. And that is generally a good idea for the Danish towns/cities that are not Copenhagen and Aarhus since you can easily end up in pedestrian streets looking more or less the same.

Roskilde has the Viking Ship Museum which is a cool building and the ships are also impressive, and there's also a cathedral and a museum for contemporary art if you're into that sort of thing. The museum is rather small, but they use to have a room with "sound in bottles" that is really cool. Pic on link.

EDIT:
Forgot the link: samtidskunst.dk/sites/default/files/imag..._maj13_laub_14_0.jpg

Also, if you're road tripping and don't mind a bit more time in the car, you should get off the freeway before Roskilde and drive around near Lejre and Hvalsoe (that's where I live, do stop by). The landscape is very hilly with lots of burial mounds and very different from what you'll find in the rest of Denmark because of all the small hills.
Last edit: 28 Jan 2015 15:56 by mads b.. Reason: forgot link
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
28 Jan 2015 15:45 #196467 by ubarose

schlupp wrote:
Also, if you are traveling by car through Germany (Autobahn, no speed limit) you'll probably pass Tarp in the Treenevalley shortly before crossing the Danish border. That's where I grew up. :) In case you have specific questions for your trip, let me know.

Yes we will be passing through Tarp, and are actually looking for somewhere in the vicinity as a stop over, to stay a night and a day. We were looking at Schleswig. What do you think?

More
28 Jan 2015 16:25 #196479 by Space Ghost
When will you be there, uba? I think I will be in Amsterdam-Leiden-Arnhem next month.

More
28 Jan 2015 17:25 - 28 Jan 2015 17:27 #196497 by ubarose

Space Ghost wrote: When will you be there, uba? I think I will be in Amsterdam-Leiden-Arnhem next month.

We are going April/May, so we won't be able to see you. You should contact Jur, if you haven't already.

P.S. Thanks for suggesting the WWII museum in Arnhem. My dad is totally into going to that.
Last edit: 28 Jan 2015 17:27 by ubarose.

More
31 Jan 2015 18:21 #196614 by schlupp
Where was your great-grandfather from? I'll probably know the place.

I don't think Skagen is a dump, I'm sure it has a nice view (if the weather is nice), but for me it would not be worth the 2 (4 back and forth) hour detour to Northern Denmark, if you are on your way to Copenhagen. Also I'm not sure what your step-mum would do there.

If you know Hamburg, I'll try something less known (although you already seem to have some good ideas where to go). Schleswig is relatively small (20000 inhabitants) and Flensburg is in general a nicer city. Try out Flensburger, a typical and relatively famous German beer ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flensburger_Brauerei ). Flensburg has nice shopping opportunities. It's a "maritime city", so you can visit the seafaring museum, can take a ferry to a near-by island and go to the beach. Flensburg has an interesting history, it has a large Danish minority (it was Danish for a long time), is famous for being the company seat of erotic shop empire Beate Uhse and Bommerlunder (
) and was the last seat of the government of Nazi Germany. There are some nice maritime events during the year, maybe there is one when you are there. The Gorch Fock is based in Flensburg (but most often sailing around the world).

But Schleswig has some interesting stuff as well. First and foremost there is Gottorf Castle with a museum that includes the famous bog mummies found in the swamps of Schleswig-Holstein. What you should definitely check out is Haithabu ( www.schloss-gottorf.de/haithabu/das-muse...king-museum-haithabu ), an old viking metropolis. There is a really interesting museum close to Schleswig. In summer there are the viking days, which is also nice.

Oh yeah, one more thing, it's in German though, but I wonder what would you think about the Karl May Festspiele in Bad Segeberg. So Karl May is a famous 19th century German author, who wrote books about the Wild West. Winnetou and Old Shatterhand are famous characters. The clou: the guy has never left his home town in Saxony. As you can imagine his stories are huge clichès. But he was very famous and remains one of the most translated German authors. Now in Bad Segeberg, north of Hamburg, each year they produce a theater play with pyro effects and shooting. It's more for kids, but I would guess it would be pretty bizarre for an American. More info here: www.karl-may-spiele.de/aktuell/

More
31 Jan 2015 19:20 #196615 by ubarose
Thank you so much schlepp.

My great-grandfather was from Flensburg. From what I could gather about it, it didn't seem like a nice place to stay and didn't seem to have anything to do. But from what you describe, it sounds like it would actually be a good place to stop.

Schleswig sounds cool too. I would totally be into seeing those bog mummies (studied those in school) and the Viking town.

I'm super excited now.

More
01 Feb 2015 16:45 #196642 by schlupp
Also on topic: when in Flensburg check out Gandalph (yes, ph), a pretty good FLGS in Flensburg (Große Straße 65, 24937 Flensburg).

More
01 Feb 2015 23:09 #196669 by ubarose

mads b. wrote: the light thing is true. I'm sure if you read about the Skagen painters you can learn more about it.

Then I am going to Skagen.

Also, if you're road tripping and don't mind a bit more time in the car, you should get off the freeway before Roskilde and drive around near Lejre and Hvalsoe (that's where I live, do stop by). The landscape is very hilly with lots of burial mounds and very different from what you'll find in the rest of Denmark because of all the small hills.

Seriously? I would so love to meet you. PMing you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
02 Feb 2015 13:57 #196692 by scissors
Karl May has a huge following in the Czech Rep, too :)

More
03 Feb 2015 03:56 #196717 by schlupp
On the off chance that you are in Flensburg/Schleswig on the weekend 13/14 June, let me know. I'm in the north for a school reunion.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds