October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

WBC 2015

More
10 Aug 2015 14:29 #208227 by jgriff
Replied by jgriff on topic WBC 2015
I had a blast and I don't think I had a stinker game in the mix. Struggle of Booze was suitability epic.

However, the Host is dead and gone. Thank god. It rained in Kinderhook during my finale game of TI3. Kinderhook is in the basement for those out of the loop. Fucking hellhole won't be missed but the 60-70 minute drive was awesome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2015 14:57 #208228 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic WBC 2015
No doubt. It's fun to make fun of The Host but it really had sunk to even new lows this year. Flooding in the TI3 room...I mean a waterfall. King Put has video, air quality so bad that I had a headache from the moment I walked in. Theater hot and muggy and stuffy during the day, a blue tarp covering the hole in the roof in Lampeter. Place is done. Flim Flam and I were speculating that they have let it go so far that it would be cheaper to demolish the whole place and build a new building rather than renovating it now.

The new place will be great.

More
10 Aug 2015 15:02 - 10 Aug 2015 15:04 #208229 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic WBC 2015

Msample wrote: A great week for me. I'll shed no tears for the fetid damp shitpile that is the Host. While I feel bad for the bulk of the employees stuck working there, I am so looking forward to the new facility, even if its 3 hours farther. From all the initial reports ( many gamers have done recons there already ) I think we're looking at going from one of the worst convention venues to the best.

I won my second ever tournament, Combat Commander, going 6-0 to take thre title, including 5 games on Wednesday that didn't wrap up til nidnight in the Lampeter during the period when the AC was on the fritz and the room was a swamp.

Congratulations!

I seriously get perverse enjoyment in hearing just how low the WBC venue went.
Last edit: 10 Aug 2015 15:04 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron

More
10 Aug 2015 16:52 #208237 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic WBC 2015
I think even the most die hard supporters of the Host had to admit that this year showed that the Board made the right decision in leaving. Not even two weeks ago there were some on BGG defending the place, but in the initial aftermath, they've gone quiet. The best was one hooplehead who said the Host was fine.....then mentioned he slept offsite due to the air quality.

While I'll be the last one to defend the HVAC or air quality of the Host, I suspect for most , the combo of loooong days of gaming combined with poorer than usual eating habits and/or irregular schedules are just as strong a reason as airborne crud for getting people sick. I hit the wall the last night of the con and struggled to stay awake by about 9PM, but thankfully feel fine today.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
10 Aug 2015 17:54 #208243 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic WBC 2015
TI3 tournament room at the Host.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron, Gary Sax, Dutch

More
10 Aug 2015 17:58 #208245 by ubarose
Giant f-ing spider in the ladies room sink.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron, Gary Sax, Dutch

More
10 Aug 2015 18:01 #208246 by jgriff
Replied by jgriff on topic WBC 2015
That video missed about 15 minutes later when it got alot heavier and collapsed a couple of ceiling tiles
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Ska_baron, Gary Sax, Msample

More
10 Aug 2015 18:50 #208252 by Dutch
Replied by Dutch on topic WBC 2015
Had a fantastic WBC this year, and not just because we finally got our grubby hands on Space Cadets: Away Missions (which looks great, btw). Always awesome to see so many old friends and catch up.

The new break-out game of the show was probably Flick 'em Up -- I think I played that 4 times. I also fell in love with W1815, an outstanding little game on the battle of Waterloo. Also loved Wiz-War, Catchphrase, Duke, 3 Mouseketieres [sp?], New York 1776 from Worthington, and an excellent game of Arkham that really showed the game off well.

As for the good ol', shabby Host, while I like gaming rooms to be properly ventilated and free from both floods and giant spiders, I don't like change. I think the Host has been our comfortable frat-house for 10 years+, and that we're going to miss it next year. I hope I'm wrong.

More
10 Aug 2015 19:32 #208253 by ubarose
The only thing that could make me miss the Host is if 7 Springs is worse, and it would be really difficult to be worse than what the Host has become. I was never one to complain about the place, until this year. It was bad. We had two rooms. In both the toilets didn't flush, the shower/tub didn't drain, the sheets were so worn they didn't stay on the mattresses when you slept. We could only get Wi Fi in the bathroom, and it dropped every two minutes. The door handle to one of the rooms broke, and had to be replaced. There was mold growing on the hallway ceilings. The air conditioner had two settings on, which was so cold we had to get extra blankets, or off which turned the room in to sweltering swamp within 15 minutes. The food was bearly eatable.

More
10 Aug 2015 19:48 #208254 by MacDirk Diggler
Replied by MacDirk Diggler on topic WBC 2015
Bearly Eatable.... haha.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
10 Aug 2015 20:39 #208256 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic WBC 2015
"While walking through the hot and moldy corridor you hear the sound of water dripping in the distance. When you turn the next corner a giant spider appears." Roll for initiative.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Ska_baron, Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, Sagrilarus, Hex Sinister, Msample, Dutch, engineer Al

More
10 Aug 2015 21:13 #208260 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic WBC 2015
That place sounds like a hell hole. You know how bad black mold is for you? If it's in places where you can see it then it's all over in places you can't.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
11 Aug 2015 10:13 #208280 by Ska_baron
Replied by Ska_baron on topic WBC 2015
Like Gary, I too take perverse enjoyment in hearing how bad it was. Having only attended once about 5 years ago it seemed only somewhat shabby then but I can totally see how that place could only get worse without any effort to improve it. Yikes.

Should be done having babies now, so who knows - perhaps I'll make it up for a few in the new venue in 2016! More likely? Making it to Euroquest/Games Day/ Prezcon because they're just closer...

More stories please for those living con life vicariously though other FATTIES!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
12 Aug 2015 14:42 - 12 Aug 2015 14:44 #208375 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic WBC 2015
Seven Springs is not just a ski resort, but a year-round adventure place. TL;DR: ziplining, trails,, golf, disc golf, shooting, spa, and a classy fucking place. We, as a culture, will lower its status.

It has skeet and trap. I'm currently working on convincing my wife that I should go there AND origins. We'll see how it goes. If I get the remodel done by then, I'm all set.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2015 14:44 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveroswell, Msample

More
12 Aug 2015 19:17 #208400 by engineer Al
Replied by engineer Al on topic WBC 2015
My favorite WBC moments:

I played a pre-con game of MARVEL LEGENDARY with Pete (King Put) and Shellie (Uba). Shellie is frustrated and ready to throw in the towel claiming we have “no chance” against Thanos, but we rallied like true GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY and kicked his ass!

Shellie goes in to use the bathroom at the isolated “Expo Center”. We hear a scream and she comes running out claiming to have seen the “biggest-assed spider ever.” Dan (Dutch) goes in to check out the situation and a minute later we hear him exclaim “OH MY GOD!”

I played an epic game of WIZ WAR with Dan, Jay (jay718) and Saul (SJN). We were drinking a little bit which led to us singing Beach Boys songs (in perfect harmony) as we played. Other tables around us started singing songs as well. . .

Super game of FURY OF DRACULA with Justin (Dogmatix) Shellie, Jay and Pete. We kicked Dracula’s ass due to Jay’s unexpected quick deductions and shrewd thinking.

Jeff (Repoman) shows up out of nowhere. I was psyched because I hadn’t seen him in over a week!

Fantastic game of ARKHAM with Dan (Dutch), Shellie and Michael (Fralish). We saved the world.

I met Dan’s buddy Coleman who works at Mayfair Games and apparently designed the first edition of the Rolemaster RPG (and a host of other games). Coleman joined us for some late night FLICK EM UP on Friday and we had a blast. At about 3AM he pulls out the new STAR TREK dice rolling game that he had been demoing during the day. My vision was a bit blurry at that time but we had a bunch of fun with it.

I am SOMEWHERE and a bit drunk. Dave (daveroswell) appears out of nowhere and hands me two jars of jam. “My mom made these” he tells me and then disappears into a fog. . .

Playing FLICK EM UP late night Saturday with THE CREW and Jay starts to take side bets on his shots. Others join in making bets on shots. The next morning a bleary eyed Jay says to me “I think I made 20 bucks playing FLICK EM UP last night”

I am playing MOUSQUETAIRS DU ROY with Dan, Shellie and Coleman. A couple of teens that we had demoed AWAY MISSIONS for the day before approach us and ask if they can borrow our demo copy. They set it up, teach their friends how to play and then play two scenarios without any help from us. At one point they ask “What does TIME DISTORTION do?” “Look it up” Dan tells them. A minute later one of the kids exclaims: “FUCK!”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron, Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus, Hex Sinister, Dutch, Columbob, repoman

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds