October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Trashfest: Tales of the Tape

More
07 May 2008 11:19 #5998 by Gary Sax
daveroswell wrote:

Back to what Mr. Barnes was commenting on: is there any way to have a Fortress Americon? A "closed con" with known "non fun murderers." I don't know if the attendance numbers would be high enough, but it's a thought.

The gathering of assholes?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2008 11:46 #6002 by Michael Barnes
Actually,the four leaf clover (and Mummy's curse) in PROPHECY is a good litmus test for potential fun murderers...if they scoff, ask "what's the point", or otherwise disparage the most valuable and potent card in the game then they're likely going to have fun's blood on their hands.

More
07 May 2008 22:45 #6050 by ubarose
I think we, the GMs, have to take partial responsibility for some of the less fun experiences of some of our participants. We started off under the assumption that we were only going to attract a handful of hard core ATers. What we got was two or three times the expected number of participants at the demos and coached games. These included curious Euro gamers, war gamers, people off the street, even a couple of people who happened to be staying at the hotel and were just looking for something to do. This lead to some less than ideal game groups. Once we realized what was going on, KingPut started doing his schpiel about the games being long, complex and chaotic, and gave people a graceful way of bowing out. Things went a lot better after that.

I also don't consider people "Fun Murderers" who were trying a game for the first time, only to discover that they didn't much care for it. I have to give the Eurogamers and Wargamers their props for trying something new. Although they might not have been able to get into the spirit of the game, the ones that I encountered didn't disparage the game or put the players down for liking it. For me, this was refreshing, In the past I have always encountered the "shiters," who shit all over the game and try to make other players feel stupid for liking it.

I now have the greatest respect for people like Thaad, who demo games. I lost my voice, I had to pee, and holy crap, my feet hurt. I couldn't imagine having to get up the next day and teach games again.

So there were a few bumps, like the cell phone guy and the crazy chick in the bathroom. They make good stories. I had an overwhelmingly fun time. I already miss all the guys I met, and am looking forward to seeing you all again at WBC.

The man is bugging me to watch Dr. Who, so I'll just leave you with this:

DungeonQuest: Dave & I dead in 5 turns.

More
08 May 2008 08:29 #6055 by mikelawson
Knob Creek? I know it's essentially Jim Beam ultra grade, but What about Corner Creek?

--Mike L.

More
08 May 2008 10:33 - 08 May 2008 10:38 #6058 by Malloc
Stephen Avery wrote:

So two quick questions: Anyone making it down to Atlanta (or vicinity) this summer and who is going to the WBC? I may try to get up there this time.

Steve"Party_like_a_Rock_Star"Avery

Steve,

Will "I know Fucking everythign about ti3" Kenyon is planning a trip to the WBC. Right now he is planning on flying, but if you come with him maybe its a road trip.

There will be a ton of folks there in the open room playing AT games and Between Uba, KingPut and I we can steer you clear of the known Jackasses.

Also the WBC is a different animal. Games Days and most of the Gcom events tend to me more euro centric to start, so Trash Fest stood out there, The WBC is so large that there are pockets of folks playing whatever they like. There are dude playing week long World in Flames games, there are Wacky load gangster games going on, and even the euro gamers have their space. Everyone finds their nitch and fills it.

Sure there are Dick heads in the tournies (there are more in the euro game tournies) , this is just how it is, but for every one of them I have met at least 2 cool guys who love the games. the is especially true when playing an older war game, where the people still playing it are die hard fans of the game. They are not there to win, the are there because this is the only place they can stillg et thier fix.

-M

-M
Last edit: 08 May 2008 10:38 by Malloc.

More
08 May 2008 22:35 #6113 by ubarose
mikelawson wrote:

Knob Creek? I know it's essentially Jim Beam ultra grade, but What about Corner Creek?

--Mike L.

I woke up Thursday morning and found that bottle with the note, "GM gift" and the arrow pointing to the bottle. I cracked it open to teach Prophecy. We started with the "got your butt kicked by a bear shot," which progressed to "got your butt kicked by a snake shot," to "got your butt kicked by anything shot" to "your about to fight something, and might get your butt kicked shot." Waking up Friday morning was a bitch.

More
09 May 2008 19:32 #6196 by BigLizard
Uba, thanks for posting pics. After a long work week, it's good to laugh out my ass (as a friend of mine likes to say) especially that sheep sign :D Sounds like a great time was had by all. I'm feeling a tinge of jealousy.

BillN

More
09 May 2008 21:44 - 10 May 2008 09:22 #6201 by KingPut
I just wish I got a picture of Zev standing next to the No Farm Animal sign holding the Battleball Heavy Tackle that choked in overtime in one hand and Pink Rubius Dragon that won him Nexus Ops in the other hand.
Last edit: 10 May 2008 09:22 by KingPut.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.353 seconds