October 09, 2023
2604 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2805 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

trade advice

More
16 Mar 2012 16:29 #119532 by bomber
trade advice was created by bomber
some guy on BGG wants a brand new in shrink FFG Cosmic Encounter with all 3 expansions brand new, hes offered me Through the Desert and Modern Art. What do you think?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2012 16:33 #119534 by Da Bid Dabid
Replied by Da Bid Dabid on topic Re: trade advice
HAHAHA... ha.

Actually a BGG guy just came through with a very good trade for me. So they're not all like that.

More
16 Mar 2012 16:37 - 16 Mar 2012 17:02 #119535 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic Re: trade advice

ldsdbomber wrote: some guy on BGG wants a brand new in shrink FFG Cosmic Encounter with all 3 expansions brand new, hes offered me Through the Desert and Modern Art. What do you think?

Last edit: 16 Mar 2012 17:02 by san il defanso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
16 Mar 2012 16:57 #119536 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re: trade advice
I have a copy of Fire & Axe up for trade on there and I get some HILARIOUS offers for it. I'm actually not willing to trade it for much, but definitely not for a game that's worth about $15.

BGG traders are a fucking joke. For every reasonable trade offer I get, I get at least five or six that are people "fishing" for a completely unbalanced-in-their-favor trade.

Everybody's looking to trade up, and they're hoping to catch somebody in a moment of weakness or something.

AND THEN there's the guy that kindly informs you of what the retail price is of what he's offering versus the retail price of what he wants from you. Ha.

More
16 Mar 2012 17:11 #119537 by bomber
Replied by bomber on topic Re: trade advice
I think I've made one bad trade offer when I had no idea of the value of one of the items after checking the wrong thing, but generally it's OK, shipping is usually the killer since all my best trade partners are stateside, but I had to do a double take when I read this, I almost accepted it for a laugh to see if he thought I was serious, maybe I should have said "that sounds pretty good, but Im only sending you 1 game and youre sending 2". Damn, I wish I HAD said that

as it is, I asked him why he thought about 100 euros worth of in shrink AT goodness would be worth about 25 euros worth that I would rather print and play (TTD, quite like the game but christ its pig ugly), this wasn't a new user either.

Anyway, I'm holding on to CE, hope to get this out with the family next week, they're just the group of windup, snarky, squabbling mentalists that I think should bring out the best in this.

More
16 Mar 2012 17:18 #119538 by QPCloudy
Replied by QPCloudy on topic Re: trade advice
I have sent out one or two trades that I knew were probably very uneven. It's all about supply and demand. Also, something is only worth what someone else will pay for it. I myself have traded higher value items for a single lesser value item just because the higher valued items were not worth as much to me as what I was getting. Better to have what I want rather than something just lying around collecting dust.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

More
16 Mar 2012 17:24 - 16 Mar 2012 21:45 #119539 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: trade advice

Michael Barnes wrote: I have a copy of Fire & Axe up for trade on there and I get some HILARIOUS offers for it. I'm actually not willing to trade it for much, but definitely not for a game that's worth about $15.

BGG traders are a fucking joke. For every reasonable trade offer I get, I get at least five or six that are people "fishing" for a completely unbalanced-in-their-favor trade.

Everybody's looking to trade up, and they're hoping to catch somebody in a moment of weakness or something.

AND THEN there's the guy that kindly informs you of what the retail price is of what he's offering versus the retail price of what he wants from you. Ha.

Mr. Barnes when I was looking to trade with you your wishlist and trade pile were so strange I couldn't figure out what on Earth you were actually interested in. Everything was out of date.

That's what I find with a lot of people on BGG. They have expansions listed as want-in-trade but have the base game marked previously-owned. Sometimes it's hard as hell to make a deal with someone because they don't have anything on their want list. Some people have no clue what the value of what they have is.

If someone offers you scrap for trade give them a counter-offer. You might just end up with a pretty plush deal.

S.
Last edit: 16 Mar 2012 21:45 by Sagrilarus.

More
16 Mar 2012 18:21 #119548 by san il defanso

Sagrilarus wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: I have a copy of Fire & Axe up for trade on there and I get some HILARIOUS offers for it. I'm actually not willing to trade it for much, but definitely not for a game that's worth about $15.

Mr. Barnes when I was looking to trade with you your wishlist and trade pile were so strange I couldn't figure out what on Earth you were actually interested in. That's what I find with a lot of people on BGG. They have expansions listed as want-in-trade but have the base game marked previously-owned. Sometimes it's hard as hell to make a deal with someone because they don't have anything on their want list. Some people have no clue what the value of what they have is.

If someone offers you scrap for trade give them a counter-offer. You might just end up with a pretty plush deal.

S.

It's really easy to forget what you have posted for trade on your profile. I just traded away pretty much my last "tradeable" game. San Juan goes out, Glory to Rome comes in.

I've had generally very good experiences with BGG traders. It helps to deal with people who aren't necessarily "seasoned" BGGers. I find they tend to be less hung up about things like condition, perceived value of games, so forth. In other words, I find they think a lot like me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
16 Mar 2012 20:39 #119555 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Re: trade advice
I've had good experiences with BGG trading, but the ratio of good trades to outlandish "pre-trading" negotiation is fucking silly. I would get fucking ludicrous offers for Samurai Swords when I had it. I ended up trading it to Barnes, if I remember correctly. I recently had two trade offers for some OOP GW games and they had total shit to offer me and one of them was all "What's the condition of Judge Dredd?"

Since I'm not on BGG all that often anymore, I missed the two laughable trades. Saved me the trouble of politely telling them to FUCK OFF.

More
16 Mar 2012 22:28 #119563 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: trade advice
You guys can mock BGG trading all you want, but I got EARTH REBORN for about 5,000 MtG Commons and Uncommons. And he's the one who asked! Amazing. He's even happy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
16 Mar 2012 23:17 #119566 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re: trade advice
I've gotten hooked the fuck up on BGG. I had someone trade me their Sandworm Dune for my Shadows over Camelot and I've gotten Descent and all the expansions for a Shrinked copy of Nexus Ops. And those are just a few.

The concept of "paying it forward" seems to be exceptionally accurate, at least in my estimation.

More
17 Mar 2012 00:27 #119573 by san il defanso
And for what it's worth, I very often check on trades that seem like a long shot. I've had successful stuff happen often enough that I sometimes just PM users just to check on the possibility. Never hurts to ask.

The problem is when people start getting whiney about you turning them down. If someone says no, I let them be, unless they give a counter-offer.

More
17 Mar 2012 02:48 #119580 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Re: trade advice
Maybe it's that I just keep small lists, but the only trade offers I ever see are fishing for a deal.

I remember telling someone that trading down like $30 in value and paying shipping for an in-print game wasn't really going to fly. A month or so later, I get another bullshit offer from the same guy. I swear he was just looking through trade lists thinking "what can I drop-ship from this guy's want list that's cheaper than what I want?"

I've had better success in BGG Math Trades, but those have become a nightmare of professional rug traders and thrift-store craphounds.

Shipping kills a lot of deals stone dead for me. It's just not really worth it, especially when I don't cycle through a lot of games. My collection is pretty static, and there's not a lot of crap I don't want. For the few toads there are, nobody else wants them either.

More
17 Mar 2012 03:46 #119581 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re: trade advice
That's been my experience exactly, Not Sure. Math trades only for me. I don't even list things as for trade anymore.

Shipping is the friction in all trades, and friction has increased like 400% in the last 5 years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notahandle

More
17 Mar 2012 23:45 #119613 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Re: trade advice

On the chance you don't check your PM -- I will trade you cash for Fire & Axe.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds