October 09, 2023
2426 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2633 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome! - Heroquest Line vs DDAS Line

More
04 Oct 2016 09:06 #235464 by Mr. White

Guess I want to reminisce about the DDAS titles some more...

These lines are sorta similar as being kinda family friendly entries in the dungeoncrawler genre. These two had wide appeal and made a splash upon release. So, looking back, which series shines more?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2016 09:29 - 04 Oct 2016 09:31 #235465 by Columbob
HeroQuest was a lot more colourful. Its expansions also told a continuing storyline while adding new treasures and spells (arguably the only way to "progress" your characters, although spells replaced existing ones rather than adding), traps and enemies, new rooms, henchmen in some cases. The 3D furniture was unparalleled at the time and DDAS has nothing to compete with that. Looking for traps, treasures and secret doors (someone touched upon this in the Dungeon Saga/Silver Tower thread) was golden. However, unless you commit to playing the whole thing through and offer "save points" (or other house rules to buff up heroes), starting characters have no chance to succeed in expansion scenarios, as starting HQ heroes are basically barenaked and need to find treasure to buy better gear in between games.

Each box of DDAS offers a somewhat coherent suite of scenarios, and you don't need to commit to a whole campaign and single character to play through them (except Temple of Elemental Evil which is designed around the whole campaign idea), so they're easier to pull out. Character progress is also almost non-existent, except in ToEE, but you can still change their starting skills for variety. It's also length-wise pretty much the same whether you're using 2 or 5 heroes, although the more heroes show up, the easier it gets.
One thing to mention regarding Wrath: the treasure deck has the most items (and some rather powerful gear in there too) of any game of the series, so much so that by the end game, heroes tend to have a lot of cards in front of them to use and remember. Not so great for casual players, so I wouldn't recommend this one for younger kids or casual players. The final room is also more complicated to set up. Go for Drizzt (avoid those crappy VS scenarios though) or Ravenloft instead.
Last edit: 04 Oct 2016 09:31 by Columbob.

More
04 Oct 2016 10:01 #235472 by SuperflyPete
HeroQuest is inherently more fun, if for no other reason than that it has custom wooden dice. FAIL, WIZARDS OF THE COAST.

More
04 Oct 2016 10:12 #235473 by Colorcrayons
Heroquest.

While ddas has more stuff and better gd, heroquest is a better game, even with roll and move. That's how bad ddas is.

More
07 Jan 2017 14:02 #241950 by RabidWookie
DDAS distills a D&D dungeon crawl down to the basics, while running in an hour or less with no DM. For that it is admirable, and surprisingly fun when it finds it's way to my table every couple years. But Heroquest is an all-time classic, and feels like I remember old school D&D feeling (on both sides of the screen). It also has real exploration (not just randomly generated corridors), traps, secret doors, hidden treasure, etc (which every other dungeon crawler has ignored for some reason).

Heroquest!

More
07 Jan 2017 14:24 #241954 by ChristopherMD
I'm not sure I even saw this thread last year.

Vote: Diablo 3

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds