October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

CinemaDome: Blues Brothers vs Ghostbusters

More
07 Dec 2016 08:28 - 07 Dec 2016 08:44 #240012 by Mr. White
Ok, this has been the most difficult pairing for me to put together. All the nerds love Ghostbusters. My guess is that it'll beat out all the other parody comedies (Galaxy Quest, Mystery Men, etc). It would crush Men in Black. A couple of Mel Brooks or Marx Brothers films should give it a run, but flicks of those vintages haven't done so well in the 'Dome. So, going with another original SNL cast flick and a movie that also felt like it had a lot of cultural clout in its day.
John Belushi's Jake Blues vs (what would have been his) Peter Venkman.
Dan Aykroyd's Elwood Blues vs Ray Stantz.
Ray Charles vs Ray Parker Jr.
Chicago vs New York.

vs

Last edit: 07 Dec 2016 08:44 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2016 08:47 - 07 Dec 2016 08:47 #240015 by Michael Barnes
Well this is a cakewalk because The Blues Brothers is awful.

Ghostbusters, nothing but net.
Last edit: 07 Dec 2016 08:47 by Michael Barnes.

More
07 Dec 2016 08:51 #240016 by charlest

Michael Barnes wrote: Well this is a cakewalk because The Blues Brothers is awful.

Ghostbusters, nothing but net.

I actually agree. Never got all the love for Blues Brothers.

More
07 Dec 2016 08:57 #240017 by Mr. White
You F:ATties have no soul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, JEM

More
07 Dec 2016 08:59 #240018 by Shellhead
The Blues Brothers has better music and some very memorable lines and scenes, but it doesn't add up into a coherent story. Very overrated.

Ghostbusters struck popular culture like lightning, as an unlikely but epic horror/comedy. Strong cast, good story, some great lines, good fx, and strong cinematography. And who could forget the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man?

Vote: Ghostbusters.

More
07 Dec 2016 09:01 - 07 Dec 2016 09:02 #240019 by Michael Barnes
Blues Brothers is a movie for people that think that going out for a nice dinner means going to a place that has crazy "Americana" knickknacks all over the walls and ordering the potato skins appetizer.
Last edit: 07 Dec 2016 09:02 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
07 Dec 2016 09:08 - 07 Dec 2016 09:10 #240020 by Mr. White

Michael Barnes wrote: Blues Brothers is a movie for people that think that going out for a nice dinner means going to a place that has crazy "Americana" knickknacks all over the walls and ordering the potato skins appetizer.

Last edit: 07 Dec 2016 09:10 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, SebastianBludd, Msample, Frohike, Colorcrayons

More
07 Dec 2016 09:38 #240023 by Grudunza

Michael Barnes wrote: Blues Brothers is a movie for people that think that going out for a nice dinner means going to a place that has crazy "Americana" knickknacks all over the walls and ordering the potato skins appetizer.

That doesn't even begin to make sense. Are you possibly thinking of the stupid 2000 sequel?

My counter-argument:

Aretha Fucking Franklin
Ray Fucking Charles
Cab Fucking Calloway
James Fucking Brown
John Lee Fucking Hooker

Also, Fuckyou Michael Barnes :D

Really solid musical numbers featuring some of the all-time great soul/blues performers. That alone makes it great. But it also has a pretty solid sense of humor throughout, in a casual late 70's way. I watched them both again for the first time in years about 2-3 years ago. Ghostbusters was okaaaay, but it wasn't as funny anymore as I'd remembered. The sly and wry humor of Blues Brothers held up pretty well. It's definitely over-the-top at times, but also understated and subtle in other ways. The novelty of the biggest car wreckage ever and the mall destruction are fun, too.

Blues Brothers, easy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
07 Dec 2016 10:00 #240025 by Michael Barnes
Get him, Josh Look!

More
07 Dec 2016 10:17 - 07 Dec 2016 10:34 #240027 by Colorcrayons
Well, for a start, both of these movies are overrated.

Ghostbusters seems to be less enjoyable as I age. Still great memories as a kid seeing it, but its not holding up well.

Blues brothers have always been overrated, but the older I get the more I appreciate it.

Part of me wants to vote blues bothers just to spite Barne's stinking pie hole, and part of me wants to vote for it because it has style points that ghostbusters never had.

Blues brothers has john Lee hooker, whom I ran sound for at doctor rokkits blues bar in corpus Christi Texas, and john Lee hooker was a god among musicians. Plus, he was pretty awesome to drink and burn a joint with. Great guy.

Ghostbusters had... Ray Parker Jr.? Ugh. Though didn't they also have some stray cats too? They were also quite good in the day.

I want to vote for ghostbusters because of fun and nostalgia, but in the end I shall vote for blues brothers for all the reasons listed above.

Also; Chicago.
New York?! Pffffft!

Pardon me, I have a dinner date with some hillbillies at Shenanigans. Pistol whip time.
Last edit: 07 Dec 2016 10:34 by Colorcrayons.

More
07 Dec 2016 11:21 #240034 by Nodens
Thanks for putting so much thought in the pairings, another difficult and awesome decision. Maybe someday I'll be with the majority.
Blues Brothers is a movie with a punk rock attitude. Belushi was a god among dope fiends. Also, Carrie Fisher was in it, so even more dope fiend credentials. It features some of the greatest musicians of all times and is a hell of a ride.
Ghostbusters is a hell of a ride, too - the ultimate fantasy for all the rick Moranises in us that want to be like Peter Venkman, but then you grow up and maybe see him as a sexist jerk or maybe that was just the 80s passing.
I do love both movies, on a random day I would rather watch Ghostbusters, but my vote is a vote of love for Chicago and all that comes with it.
Blues Brothers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, Mr. White

More
07 Dec 2016 11:31 #240035 by ChristopherMD
I'm sorry for everyone that thinks Blues Brothers is better because you are wrong.
*reaches for electro-shock switch*

Vote: Ghostbusters
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
07 Dec 2016 11:36 #240036 by Gregarius
I agree with Colorcrayons that Ghostbusters just doesn't hold up as well. It has some great and memorable lines, but it is very thin and shallow.

Blues Brothers is manic and wacky, but with great musical numbers.

I love Harold Ramis, but I gotta vote for the Blues.

More
07 Dec 2016 11:40 - 07 Dec 2016 11:40 #240037 by Mr. White

Gregarius wrote: Blues Brothers is manic and wacky, but with great musical numbers.

"We had a band powerful enough to turn goat piss into gasoline."
Last edit: 07 Dec 2016 11:40 by Mr. White.

More
07 Dec 2016 12:21 #240043 by Black Barney
The only good scene in Blues Brothers is when the L-trains come by so often that you don't even notice. I laughed longer and harder at that joke than all of the Ghostbusters jokes combined.

But that honestly is the only scene I enjoyed. Ghostbusters is why movies are made. What a total treat, visually.

Not even.close.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds