October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome: Gloomhaven v. Silver Tower

More
03 Jan 2018 17:46 - 03 Jan 2018 17:49 #260134 by stoic
Two games enter, one game leaves!

Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Jan 2018 17:49 by stoic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Msample

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2018 18:20 #260135 by Shellhead
According to some other site, "Gloomhaven is a game of Euro-inspired tactical combat..."

I don't like EuroGames. I particularly dislike Eurogames that attempt to do AmeriTrash things with EuroGame mechanics. There is no possible way that I am ever going to be interested in playing Gloomhaven.

Silver Tower is fun. Silver Tower is not a puzzle disguised as an adventure, it is pure dice-chucking combat fun, with great components and a vivid setting.

VOTE: Silver Tower.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lj1983, Frohike, stoic

More
03 Jan 2018 20:12 #260141 by hotseatgames
I have never played either of these games. One has dice. Silver Tower
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
03 Jan 2018 20:25 #260142 by Sagrilarus
This could be the first Trashdome shutout.

More
03 Jan 2018 20:48 - 03 Jan 2018 20:50 #260143 by wkover
Gloomhaven gets the vote based on pure novelty and invention, and also my willingness to return to the system.

Problem is that Silver Tower is way down on my list of dungeoncrawlers. I'll take DungeonQuest, the D&D Games, and many others over ST, and for a fraction of the price. And yeah, Gloomhaven is pricey too. But it's got a lot more bang for the buckage.

I played ST once or twice. I don't feel a strong need to play again. I typically don't like miniature-level dungeon combat. For me, dungeons are best when stuff like LOS, hexes, and physical obstacles are all abstracted away. Somehow, with its top/bottom card system, character retirements, and deck evolution, Gloomhaven still manages to be good. Though some characters are much more interesting than others. I've been playing the Elementalist forever now, and that really is a fun character. Particularly in combination with the Spellweaver, which is what my co-op partner/criminal is playing.

Also, put Gloomhaven up against Space Cadets: Away Missions and you've got a real competition. That's the best non-campaign dungeoncrawler there is.
Last edit: 03 Jan 2018 20:50 by wkover.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, Frohike, stoic

More
03 Jan 2018 21:33 #260145 by ChristopherMD
Never played either. I like the idea of Gloomhaven but it doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy playing. I'm sure I'd like playing someone else's copy of Silver Tower.

Vote: Silver Tower

More
03 Jan 2018 22:00 #260146 by stoic
If you start reading the comments around the 'Net about Gloomhaven, which is now ranked #1 on the Hotness of BGG, you'd think that it does everything better than any other previous dungeon crawler ever and that its campaign and legacy modes are better or as good as any traditional rpg campaign. Despite the buzz I just can't imagine that it creates the same level of epic narrative as does Silver Tower.

I guess I need to toss another VS into the mix here because of the wild comparisons being made around the 'Net that are lauding Gloomhaven. It seems appropriate to toss in another contender into this same Trashdome.

VS.

Attachments:

More
03 Jan 2018 22:37 #260150 by Shellhead
I played Mage Knight once, with Grudunza of F:AT. I would be happy to play games with Grudunza again sometime, but not Mage Knight. It superficially looks like a neat adventure game, but it is actually too much of a brainburner to be fun. Every turn is a optimization puzzle to be solved. Dry and procedural.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Gary Sax, Frohike, stoic

More
03 Jan 2018 23:32 #260155 by the_jake_1973
A dungeoncrawler should not be a puzzle. Although I prefer Warhammer Quest proper, Silver Tower gets my vote.

More
04 Jan 2018 00:02 - 04 Jan 2018 00:02 #260157 by hotseatgames
I don't think Mage Knight is a dungeon crawler, but I love my copy of it. I doubt I'd ever play with more than 1 other person though.
Last edit: 04 Jan 2018 00:02 by hotseatgames.

More
04 Jan 2018 02:00 #260160 by jur
My experience with Mage Knight was the same as Shellhead's. Waste of space and time

More
04 Jan 2018 04:33 #260161 by Turek
I hate eurogames and I vote for Gloomhaven
Its great game and not like Mage Knight at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, stoic

More
04 Jan 2018 08:34 #260165 by stormseeker75
I have a copy of Silver Tower minus the minis if anyone is interested. Just pay me like $8 to ship and it's yours.

More
04 Jan 2018 08:37 #260166 by charlest

Turek wrote: I hate eurogames and I vote for Gloomhaven
Its great game and not like Mage Knight at all.

This.

Silver Tower is a good game, but I've felt no remorse in getting rid of it. Gloomhaven is the type of game that has people pouring hundreds of hours into it, which is basically unheard of for Silver Tower (besides a single person here).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, stoic

More
04 Jan 2018 11:06 #260179 by Gregarius
I'm far from a connoisseur of dungeon crawlers, although I have played a few.

I haven't played Silver Hammer, but it seems to be just more of the dice-throwing we've seen since HeroQuest (a classic!).

My vote goes to Gloomhaven because it feels new and different. The revealed quests and retirement aspects are just chrome and part of the current "Legacy" fad, but the game itself is fun and innovative.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds