October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

What Minis Are You Painting?

More
09 Apr 2017 20:18 #246253 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
White sucks. I nearly bounced off the miniature painting with the genestealers from Lost Patrol. It was my second project, and a complete disaster.
Have you tried mixing some lahmian medium into it, Barnes? And maybe some bright varnishing?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2017 20:25 #246254 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
Pure white Tau doesn't work for most people, simply because the color is so bright. It's not something that happen in real life. It's ok as trimming, shoulder pads, accent, or even pants, but as a major color? Nope. Use off white instead such as Uluthuan Grey.

Here's how Duncan Godpainter does it.

More
09 Apr 2017 20:51 #246255 by hotseatgames
Man. With his dexterity, he should have been a surgeon.

More
18 Apr 2017 08:17 - 18 Apr 2017 13:00 #246707 by Mr. White
A BB Star Player to use at a tourney....Rowdy 'Rotty' Piper

A ManOWar fleet for a friend to use in a big game this summer:

A BB team for a friend:
Last edit: 18 Apr 2017 13:00 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Brewmiester, hotseatgames, Sevej, Dr. Lao, barrowdown

More
18 Apr 2017 15:22 #246723 by hotseatgames
My Skitarii Ranger kill team is complete, other than decals and cleaning up some base borders. I think I will actually paint a small colored stripe on certain bases to help identify which guy is which on my roster for Shadow War: Armageddon.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Mr. White, Brewmiester, Colorcrayons, Sevej, Dr. Lao, barrowdown

More
18 Apr 2017 15:56 #246725 by Dr. Lao
My SW:A Scenery
It took a few attempts to get the red and bronze the way I wanted, but the process was pretty simple. Excluding the black undercoat it is just three paint pots.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester, hotseatgames, Colorcrayons, barrowdown

More
18 Apr 2017 16:00 #246726 by Dr. Lao

Mr. White wrote: A ManOWar fleet for a friend to use in a big game this summer:

One of my favorite game moments is when I flew a Dwarf War-balloon up to one of those big fortress dragons in the back dropping a bomb, hitting the tower, freaking the dragon out causing it to dive never to be seen again. That single moment caused my opponent to give up on Man o War. My other buddy gave up because his Captain fell overboard drunk followed by his First Mate a few turns later. It was in those moments I realized that my gaming buddies didn't have a sense of humor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Gary Sax, Mr. White, Colorcrayons

More
18 Apr 2017 16:15 #246727 by hotseatgames

Dr. Lao wrote: My SW:A Scenery
It took a few attempts to get the red and bronze the way I wanted, but the process was pretty simple. Excluding the black undercoat it is just three paint pots.

I picked up some Nihilakh Oxide just for this purpose. I've never used it before. Any tips?

More
18 Apr 2017 16:23 #246728 by Gary Sax
You guys are fucking good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
18 Apr 2017 16:30 #246730 by Dr. Lao
What I do is apply a thick coat and then wipe once with a papertowel in one direction. Sometimes twice if too much gets left. That leaves it in the deeper recesses, leaves a very slight streaking depending on how much you lave and dulls down the metallic paint. Focus on smaller areas at a time because when it starts to dry it leaves a line at the edge if you don't wipe it off quick enough.

The biggest thing is that I didn't apply it to the deeper parts of the walkway (the wires and pipes under the footing grate). It is hard to wipe off, gets lodged into deep corners and got too thick for my taste. I learned that lesson on the underside of the tank, you can see how it gets thicker towards the back because I couldn't get as much off.

You can see how I left it out of the underside. I'd be wiping less off and it'd have been way too green. So I just focused on the top layer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester

More
18 Apr 2017 17:17 #246731 by Michael Barnes
That looks great. Nihilakh Oxide is some weird stuff. It's almost thin enough to be a wash, but it's milky. You can do some pretty cool stuff with it outside of the oxidized metal thing...my Tree Revenants are painted with it. I wish they would make other colors like that.

The SWA terrain is so easy to paint. It seriously almost paints itself. Part of the genius of it is that it is industrial scenery, so it can be totally grungy and sloppy. If you put too much wash somewhere, it reads as an oil stain. If you miss on the basecoat, it looks like wear. You can skimp on the detailing if you want, or go all in and paint each pipe and wire. Either way, it looks great even with just a drybrush

More
18 Apr 2017 19:59 #246735 by stormseeker75

Here's a smaller Cthulhu I've been working on. I've learned to do wet blending so I love the transition from the skin to the tentacles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, Columbob, Brewmiester, hotseatgames, barrowdown

More
19 Apr 2017 09:01 #246740 by Mr. White

hotseatgames wrote:

Ha! I love what you did here for their photo shoot!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester, hotseatgames

More
21 Apr 2017 19:13 - 21 Apr 2017 19:16 #246918 by Mr. White

I feel like this should be in the Silver Tower thread. No rules or anything with these guys though, so I guess this is fine.

In hindsight, I’m sort of wishing I went with yellow and green on the little flame guys. That would seem logical from the yellow and green flames coming out of the pinks and blues as they regress down to the brimstones. Went with standard fire as that’s how it’s depicted in the Battletome, but I did a little 'ash' around the mouth. No idea why.

Oh, and I'm not sure why the Pink Horrors have all that bling...
Last edit: 21 Apr 2017 19:16 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester, hotseatgames, barrowdown

More
21 Apr 2017 19:56 #246920 by hotseatgames
Looking great! I love how colorful they are.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.281 seconds