October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

What Minis Are You Painting?

More
04 Sep 2017 14:21 #253680 by Mr. White
Finished out my Khorne Bloodskin warband for Skirmish.

The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Sevej, Vlad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2017 20:02 - 04 Sep 2017 22:10 #253686 by Mr. White
Looking at this photo more, i think I'm going to redo their paints. maybe black or dark grey.

They look like British redcoats...

But they don't look that blue to the naked eye.

I dunno....
Last edit: 04 Sep 2017 22:10 by Mr. White.

More
04 Sep 2017 22:12 #253694 by Michael Barnes
Your painting is so damn clean, I hate you just a little bit.

The "problem" is that you have two contrasting primary colors. I saw them and wondered what they'd look like with 3D glasses on.

I think that red would look good with a brown. I'm thinking of Hellboy, the coat against his skin. Gray might mute down the silver too much. Rhinox Hide might be a little dark, but maybe something more like Dryad Bark.

I'm painting the Repulsor grav tank right now. It's actually pretty easy to get a tabletop finish on it. Debating if I want to do the seam shading and all that or leave it.

I've got to get on the ball with my Primaris...wanted to have EVERYTHING done before Death Guard drops, but it's not likely. And there's still Guilliman to do.

More
05 Sep 2017 01:30 #253701 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
I think black's good for better contrast. Red and brown, not so much. I used to use the color wheel for scheme (red/green, blue/gold), but learned that if you're going to paint two equally big different areas, one of them'd better be muted color... or white or black. But if you want that a striking scheme, I think that works too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
06 Sep 2017 14:03 #253781 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Da Bid Dabid, hotseatgames, Colorcrayons, Sevej, scrumpyjack, barrowdown

More
06 Sep 2017 14:04 #253782 by Vlad
The Brute Squad. From left to right: Andre, Arnie and Bane.

More
06 Sep 2017 21:07 #253831 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
So guys I've seen you're using play surface. I think the mousepad mat is superior, but the pricing to this side of the world is killer. What's everyone using? Cloth? Vinyl? How do they feel? Is your vinyl surface textured?

More
06 Sep 2017 22:48 #253834 by Da Bid Dabid
Well I sat down to paint and wasn't feeling anything on the desk. I had a pile of my old 40K guard sitting there (inventoried for possible sale) so I decided to just make up a scheme and go with it. Here is a guardsmen and vet in the old brighter colors VS the new darker scheme I put together.

I really had fun going back to 28s afer all that time with 15s. As long as the models don't have too many crazy details, I enjoy it. Does anyone have a good way to do wood grain? I tried to do a lighter pine-like color and it just ended up sucking. Really the only part I'm not happy with. I may do more of these or maybe not. But if someone was around that also played 40k, the draw of 8th edition would prolly see me get at least a couple squads done to try out the new rules.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Sevej, scrumpyjack, barrowdown, Vlad

More
06 Sep 2017 23:16 #253835 by Vlad

Sevej wrote: So guys I've seen you're using play surface. I think the mousepad mat is superior, but the pricing to this side of the world is killer. What's everyone using? Cloth? Vinyl? How do they feel? Is your vinyl surface textured?

In my opinion, mousepad is the best price/quality. I've played a lot on an actual warhammer table, plastic and all, and it is great, but not something I can justify buying (not fitting in my apartment, for that matter). Also, I am of the opinion that terrain is more important than surface.

More
06 Sep 2017 23:39 #253836 by Vlad
I am pretty much done painting my IG Inglorious Battalion, so I've been snapping some pics. Actually, it is rather 2 Battalions + 1 Vanguard detachment, about 1700pts. I really feel like I should stop now, because it is a ridiculous amount of figures, time and money spent. My advice for anyone starting with 40K is: don't do Imperial Guard. You need to have a lot of boots on the ground or you feel like you're missing something (I started doing a very specialized army built around 4 assassins, but quickly realized I needed more cadians and scions). Also, stuff that was around before for relatively affordable price is either not available (ratlings are nowhere to be found) or costs way more on e-bay (scions starter, for example... I got it for 65$ and my big regret is I didn't buy 2). Another handicap is that it takes a long time to pack, unpack and play. I've lost count of times I had to apologize before my opponents for taking such a long time to take a turn with this massive army. Also, don't do this if you feel too deep of attachment to your little guys. Imperials die all of a sudden and in great numbers.
Other than that, they're a lot of fun. There's a lot of personality to them, and opportunities both for funniest fumbles and most heroic stands (a few games ago, my mortar squad got charged by a terminator. They pummeled him to death with their mortars in hand to hand combat).

More
06 Sep 2017 23:42 #253837 by Vlad
Commander Gorman on the left, Commander Bones on the right. They don't get along..

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Da Bid Dabid, hotseatgames, Sevej, scrumpyjack, barrowdown

More
06 Sep 2017 23:50 #253838 by Vlad
If you ever decide to go with an assassin, get The Professional. Just don't forget to reserve those CPs for his shots. He is really devastating against dudes with invulnerable saves. This dude single-handedly wiped out a squad of guardsmen in close quarters and then killed Commissar Yarrick, in 2 turns.
Major Tom is another awesome dude, in particular because he's almost impossible to hit. The best way to deal with him is just ignoring his existence. Or with a flamethrower.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, hotseatgames, Sevej, barrowdown

More
07 Sep 2017 00:00 #253839 by Vlad
Now to the 2nd tier assassins. I like Kiddo (left), because of the awesome sculpt, and in a few occasions she performed acts of beautiful carnage. The problem is that the best counter against her is a simple bolter or a lasgun. I don't think she ever survived more than 2 turns on the battlefield. Morte, the skull-dude, is very similar. He gets killed often and easily, usually before he is in range to detonate himself. However, I respect him because once he took out a hellbrute. And, in another occasion, a bomber plane. He can rip through a marine squad, provided they don't shoot him first.
But, in general, I find these two to be pretty inconsistent, or maybe I haven't figured out how to play them effectively yet.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Sevej, barrowdown

More
07 Sep 2017 00:14 #253840 by Vlad
These guys are Commander Murgo and Commissar (sometimes Lord Commissar) Otto Katz. Besides shouting really hard, Murgo has once blew up a Death Guard marine with a krak grenade, which makes him a more efficient killer than Katz. Sure enough, good old Otto executed his share of guardsmen for morale purposes, which I really appreciate, but he is the guy that I know is going to miss even before I roll the dice. He never scored a hit in Shadow Wars, and continued this tradition in 40K. Even when I made him Lord Commissar, he somehow managed to roll 1s, twice in a row (the second time, blowing himself up, because I overcharged him on purpose). I came to believe that he's an alcoholic, on the account of guilty conscience. He's good friends with Murgo, though, maybe because they favor the same tailor.

More
07 Sep 2017 00:14 #253841 by Vlad
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sevej, barrowdown

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.416 seconds