October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

What Minis Are You Painting?

More
07 Sep 2017 00:34 #253842 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
Murgo's "Basterds".
I'm looking at these 20 dudes and realize I must have gone insane. I am also seriously considering getting another 10. But seriously, this is the best unit in an IG army (barring mortars). You can drop them anywhere, and then they shoot. Which is just great for someone who is new to miniature gaming and not used to careful maneuvering in inches. But what they shoot is even better. Hot-shot lasguns are basically marine killers. Hell, anything smaller than a vehicle (and lacking an invulnerable save) is going down. And if there's a vehicle, you can have up to 4 dudes with plasmas in your squad. One squad of those can deep strike and take out a dreadnought. Two squads have taken out that fancy redemptor dreadnought. In one volley. That's why you need more and more of them. OK, there's a caveat. With the recent SM stratagem, your opponent might shoot at units in deep strike, before they land. That's a bummer. My answer to this - now more than ever, I need more of these dudes. Because they can't shoot them all. By they way, those volley guns you may notice on two scions are actually used as plasmas, because there's not enough options in the kit to outfit them with a plasma-gun in aiming position, which I personally find infuriating.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, barrowdown

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2017 00:44 #253843 by Vlad
Mortar team, manned by sort of reformed cultists. I originally had no plans on having mortars, and bought the heavy weapons kit for heavy bolters (biggest mistake I ever made, by the way, because those heavy bolters so far have racked roughly the same number of hits as Otto Katz). But then I realized I could build mortars, too, and they immediately became my favorite thing. Just stuck them in the corner out of sight somewhere, and they will probably pay for themselves (in pts terms) on the first turn (they're dirt cheap, too).
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, Sevej, barrowdown

More
07 Sep 2017 00:54 #253844 by Vlad
Finally, one panoramic of the whole thing. I have some things to say about those 3 Cadians and one Catachan squad (basically, they die a lot and don't kill that well, but that's necessary), the Taurox Prime (best tank killer ever), Chimera (meh so far) and Valkyrie (we call it Bullgryncab), but this has been a much longer rant that I had expected, so maybe some other time.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, Sevej, barrowdown

More
07 Sep 2017 01:24 #253845 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
That's very, very cool Vlad!!!

I myself thinking of getting a IG platoon after finishing my ork mob (I want no less than 60 boyz!!!). A command squad, full complement of infantry squad, and may be one each of elites, heavy weapons team and special weapons team.

Or may be an Eldar Windrider host.

.................... *sigh*

More
07 Sep 2017 08:14 #253846 by Michael Barnes
Great stuff Vlad! That is a great looking army- lots of character! When I'm done with my Primaris and Death Guard (hopefully by Christmas), I'm doing IG next. And then Thousand Sons.

On playmat material- I have the mousepad stuff and the vinyl stuff. Mousepad is, as you suggested, the best. The GW graveyard mat is mousepad as is this "Urban Assault" one I have done by HCD Supplies. You can fold these up and put them in a box, which is nice. They lay very flat and have weight, you can also iron them if you want.

My industrial and plains mats are vinyl. They are a heavy grade, banner style vinyl. There's a slight fabric-y texture to them. The printing up close looks a little grainy, but at arm's length it's fine. These roll up and sometimes need to relax a bit to lay flat at the extreme edges.

The GW mat is the best. It has sewn edges, comes in its own box, and has very high quality art. The cons are that it is specific (it's only ever going to be a Mortal Realms graveyard and the Sigmarite Mausoleum terrain is all that matches it) and it is stupendously expensive- twice as much as comparable 4x4 vinyl mats.

The HCD mat has more generic cracked concrete/craters and is somewhat darker/murkier than the GW mat and isn't finished at the edges. But it was only like $45 at Miniature Market. It's the main mat we play 40k on. The downside is that it only comes in 4x4, I'd buy a 4x6 if they had it. Eventually I will buy a second.

The plains mat is Game Matz. It's good, but I had trouble with them recently with getting a mat that was nowhere near the colors on their web site. Very affordable, 4x4 is like $4 if you catch one of their sales.

Industrial is 3x3 and its Mats By Mars. The printing is way dark and far more purple than it looks online but it's perfect for Shadow Wars/Necromunda. The art on it is neat- includes a big industrial fan, some grates, etc. it was $35 I think.

Next one I buy will be whatever GW does. I did not get the city one or the Khorne ones because I thought the art wasn't great on them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sevej

More
07 Sep 2017 10:12 #253855 by metalface13
Really nice stuff, Vlad! How do you like the Death World terrain? I had an idea to chop some up to use it to convert AoS Sylvaneth of a jungle-y look.

More
07 Sep 2017 18:42 #253882 by Michael Barnes
Vlad I fuckin' hate you. I've spent a few hours today looking for AM deals. May have that Cadian Defense Force for $120 (2 shock troop squads, 1 command squad, 3 heavy weapons squads, Leman Russ, Chimera).

More
07 Sep 2017 23:42 #253895 by Vlad
Thanks, guys!
I was itching to write something on 40K for a while now. I think I've played more games of 40K in the last 3 months than all other boardgames combined in the last 3 years.

Metalface, Deathworld terrain is very cool. My plan was to combine sector mechanicus and ruins to create a sort of abandoned/reclaimed by nature industrial complex or city, and it worked really well, specially for Shadow Wars. It also integrates seamlessly with AoS. And if I still played Malifaux, would have used it, too. My only reservation is that I doubt that just Deathworld terrain would cut it. There's very little here to provide cover for the whole squad or completely deny line of sight (that´s why I think it works better with SW).

Barnes, is it 3 heavy weapon teams or squads? If squads, than it is great deal. If teams (which I suspect), it is not bad at all. With the couple of squads I know you already have and the assassins, you will end up with a very respectable detachment. The problem is the same as with crack, you'll want more. Like you'll compare the stats of that Chimera and realize that you could really use a Taurox Prime (which, in my opinion, is even better than Leman). Or maybe a Wyvern. And before long you'll start dreaming with Valkyries. And let's not forget about the scions (by the way, I saw the starter for those is back on the shelves).

By the way, I had a game tonight vs Tyranids. It was a purely melee horde army, and bets were on they were going to swarm the guards (based on general knowledge of Starship Troopers movie). Instead, my guys rapid-fired those bugs to hell. The few bugs that managed to get through the first volley and overwatch met fierce bayonet resistance. Then my guys fall back and fired again. Whatever little remained of the roaches was mercilessly clubbed by Bullgryns. Otto Katz, whom I criticized yesterday was the hero of the day. He found himself right in the middle of the melee, saved two squads from any desertions and then delivered a killing blow to a Carnifex with his power sword. All in all, I lost like 10 dudes.

More
08 Sep 2017 14:32 #253938 by GorillaGrody
My recent efforts include painting some Wood Elves and Sylvaneth for my wife.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, metalface13, barrowdown, Vlad

More
08 Sep 2017 14:40 #253940 by Michael Barnes
Beautiful! The autumn colors look awesome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GorillaGrody

More
08 Sep 2017 18:31 #253959 by Michael Barnes
I got my $120 deal. But now...I'm kind of suspicious of something I've noticed buying GW on eBay. There are these listings where the price is already fairly good and they'll have best offer...and they will almost always take your best offer unless you are just shooting way too low. Then, you get your purchase direct from GW's distribution in Tennessee, complete with the "Not a Childrens' Toy" box and a GW invoice. I've had this happen several times at this point, and it just seems sort of weird. Because if these people have retailer accounts, they are actually violating GW's TOS by doing this and there is not really any way that you can just order ONE thing, and GW won't drop ship to another address other than your shop/office. So I am sort of conflicted on this, because I think it is one of four things. One, it's people spending GW credit or gift cards that they may want to cash out. Two, it's GW employees that get a discount of some kind. Three, it is some kind of retailer thing where they are special ordering items and shipping it direct to the buyer. Four...it's some kind of credit card fraud where the sellers are using stolen cards to buy from GW, doing the order and sending to the buyer.

Anyone had this happen? Wonder if it is something that should be reported to GW...

Anyway, Vlad, it is three TEAMS not squads. I am thinking about doing all mortars, I want these dudes to be classic tanks and grunts. I am already sniffing around a Valkyrie, a Wyvern, some Sentinels. And...a Baneblade.

What do you like better about the Taurox? Looking at the Index, there isn't really a whole lot of difference on paper other than weapon choices. I know a lot of folks are down on the Taurox because of how it looks...but I like that it looks like a goofy Metal Slug vehicle.

One of the good things about AM is I feel like their models are timeless, unlike all SMs prior to Primaris. And Orks, which now look rinky dink too. The upscaling is a big issue to me, some stuff just looks stupid now. Like the old Hellbrute, which isn't really all that much bigger than a Death Guard marine now.

I think I may not do Thousand Sons...looking at their list, I'd wind up painting a bunch of the same CSM stuff for them that I have for Death Guard. So now I am thinking Tyranids since they are probably the coolest and most different Xeno force. And I really like my Tyranid warriors.

More
08 Sep 2017 18:42 #253960 by barrowdown

Michael Barnes wrote: I got my $120 deal. But now...I'm kind of suspicious of something I've noticed buying GW on eBay. There are these listings where the price is already fairly good and they'll have best offer...and they will almost always take your best offer unless you are just shooting way too low. Then, you get your purchase direct from GW's distribution in Tennessee, complete with the "Not a Childrens' Toy" box and a GW invoice. I've had this happen several times at this point, and it just seems sort of weird. Because if these people have retailer accounts, they are actually violating GW's TOS by doing this and there is not really any way that you can just order ONE thing, and GW won't drop ship to another address other than your shop/office. So I am sort of conflicted on this, because I think it is one of four things. One, it's people spending GW credit or gift cards that they may want to cash out. Two, it's GW employees that get a discount of some kind. Three, it is some kind of retailer thing where they are special ordering items and shipping it direct to the buyer. Four...it's some kind of credit card fraud where the sellers are using stolen cards to buy from GW, doing the order and sending to the buyer.

Anyone had this happen? Wonder if it is something that should be reported to GW...

I have not had it happen to me, but this has popped up in several places that I follow. The other alternative I have seen is that GW itself might be using it to dump unwanted stock of older products without tarnishing their own brand/pricing.

More
08 Sep 2017 19:02 #253963 by Michael Barnes
Ahhhhhhhh. I had not thought of that. It does tend to be older stuff, like this Cadian Defence Force box...that is also a "Web Exclusive". That could very well be it.

More
09 Sep 2017 01:08 #253971 by blatz
Replied by blatz on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
The Magnificent Seven

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax, barrowdown, Vlad

More
09 Sep 2017 01:11 #253972 by Vlad
Barnes, Taurox Prime, not the regular Taurox. The regular Taurox is an OK transport, but definitely inferior to Chimera. Now, Taurox Prime has BS +3. That's the only BS+3 vehicle in IG arsenal, unless you focus on Commander Pask and tanks. If this wasn't enough, you can mount a battle cannon, a missile battery or a gatling cannon on the top. I personally favor Battle Cannon, but the options really depend on the rest of your army (Gatling fires 20 shots at St. 4, for example... and, did I mention the BS+3?). And it is pretty cheap. I can imagine competitive players spamming Taurox Primes like there's no tomorrow.
I like the model, but it´s true it doesn't quite aesthetically fit the IG style, kind of like the scions themselves. I tried to remedy this in my army by painting the rest of the vehicles the same color, and even having a few squads of blueish-shoulder padded Cadians. But I also was striving for a rag-tag mercenary outfit (which kind of fits the assassins and "reformed" cultists).

You can't go wrong with a mortar squad. They will most likely cover their cost in kills in 1- 2 turns, but that's also because they're very cheap (just 27pts for the whole squad), and it is very rare for them to get offed. You could also go with lascannons, heavy bolters, or rocket launchers... but the problem is that if you make them part of a regular squad, they usually have to move, which brings their BS to +5. And if you put them as dedicated heavy weapon squad, they become very vulnerable (it hurts a lot - emotionally - to watch your 60+ pts lascannon battery wiped out by something like a mortar squad).

Valkyrie is an awesomely awesome model, that looks so much like the dropship from Aliens that it could be cause for legal action. And I still can't believe just how insanely huge it is. Which is the most important thing and the reason why you will curse me first and buy it later. BUT, unless you load it with something worth transporting, it is little more than a glorified practice target (very resilient and unnerving, though). The best thing about Valkyrie is that it allows you to transport troops basically anywhere on the battlefield on turn 1, and then move, shoot and charge those troops (which is THE exception to how transports usually work). So, you can bring a squad of guardsmen or scions to an objective, or to rapid-fire range, or allow the Bullgryns to charge on turn 1.

I haven't figured out yet what to do with my Chimera. I think heavy flamers might be a better option than bolters, but haven't tried it yet. And I don't have Wyverns, Sentinels or Lemans (yet), but they all look like very viable tactical options. Baneblade just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense for any game lower than 2000pts, so I haven't even considered it.

Great thing about IG is that it allows for a wide variety of configurations and playstyles. I've faced several IG armies and they played nothing like mine, while marines feel kinda similar.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.639 seconds