October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

What Minis Are You Painting?

More
02 Jan 2018 23:32 #260077 by blatz
Replied by blatz on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
Not minis, per se, but I built a 4x4 surface for Necromunda today. Scrounged the garage for scrap wood, bathroom tile, an old thermostat and a smoke alarm. Also some spare MDF terrain bits.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Da Bid Dabid, hotseatgames, Sevej, stoic, barrowdown, Vlad, GorillaGrody

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2018 14:46 #260211 by metalface13
I painted up my troll over New Years weekend.

The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Frohike, stoic, barrowdown

More
10 Jan 2018 11:07 - 10 Jan 2018 11:14 #260648 by GorillaGrody
Finally got a tabletop full of terrain together on the right-sized table. A year-long process, to be sure.

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Jan 2018 11:14 by GorillaGrody.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, hotseatgames, barrowdown, Vlad

More
10 Jan 2018 12:02 #260650 by Gary Sax
The trees are cool!
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, GorillaGrody

More
10 Jan 2018 12:11 #260651 by SuperflyPete
Sculpey trees?

More
10 Jan 2018 12:25 #260652 by GorillaGrody
One of ‘em is a Citadel Wood, but I couldn’t see spending 25 a pop for what I needed, so I spammed ‘em using cardboard and Woodland Scenics wire trees.

More
10 Jan 2018 14:11 #260653 by Michael Barnes
Looks good man!

I have three Citadel Woods, but they are technically part of the Sylvaneth Army. There is no Miniature that is more of a pain in The was to store, even with the trees detached.

I haven’t painted in like three weeks. It’s been too cold in the basement. Gotta get back in there, I am wanting to get back to my Nurgle stuff.

More
11 Jan 2018 10:38 #260709 by blatz
Started painting up my Shadespire Orrucks. Yellow armor is fucking annoying to paint but it turned out ok.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Frohike, birdman37, barrowdown

More
15 Jan 2018 20:46 #261036 by blatz
Got the whole Warband done finally.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: barrowdown

More
15 Jan 2018 20:49 #261037 by Pug
Replied by Pug on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
Amazing to see what people have been up to... some really great things to see here. Matt, thanks for the tips, appreciated. I just finished off all my Sharespire minis (finally). I enjoyed painting them all, though my least favorite was the Orcs. I wasn't really feeling the sculpts much. Following Blatz, I just finished painting up my Orcs finally... one using a different shade of red, but that's ok, cause they're Orcs!

Moving onto Blood Bowl next most likely.
The following user(s) said Thank You: blatz, barrowdown

More
18 Jan 2018 09:29 - 18 Jan 2018 09:30 #261333 by GorillaGrody
Latest obsession is a game published by Osprey, Gaslands. The rules are good, but if they weren't? Wouldn’t matter, because MATCHBOX CARS. It’s nice, after GW, to say I now get my minis from the Stop and Shop for 99 cents a peice.

Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Jan 2018 09:30 by GorillaGrody.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, hotseatgames, stoic

More
23 Jan 2018 07:48 #261779 by Mr. White
Finally finished my Bloodskin warband. Time to move onto other projects now.

The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, hotseatgames, birdman37, stoic, barrowdown

More
28 Jan 2018 11:47 #262364 by Colorcrayons
This is more of a "what the hell kind of modelling project are you immersing yourself into" than painting, but this seems the best place.

Frostgrave. Mother fucking Frostgrave.

Despite it's occasional swinginess in gameplay, this is the best skirmish game that I have played in quite awhile.

Not just because of the gameplay of being a wizard, but because this encourages creativity rather than hampers it.

I look at the 8 sets of Heroscape thaelenk tundra, and hundreds of snow tiles sitting unused, and really want to somehow convert this into a hex based game. If I could manage this and not fuck with the overall mechanics too hard to do it, I think Frostgrave would be kingshit.

Anyways, I've played a bit here and there with a motley Crew of figs just to get my feet wet, and this game really does deserve the full hobby treatment, so down the rabbit hole I descend again after quite a bit of time away from modelling/painting.

Another factor in why I am doing this is to teach the male spawnling patience. He is really bad about instant gratification. Not that I blame him much in this day and age, but he has been diagnosed with ADHD, and I strongly suspect he is higher on the autistic spectrum than his therapists believe.

So this will get him away from the kaleidoscope of videogames, have more father figure/son time, teach him a few skills by somebody who has been doing this for 30+ years now, and have something to show for his efforts.

Since he is so detailed oriented, I think this would be a very good hobby for hm. But first he must learn patience. Otherwise he will have no interest beyond 5 minutes.

Everyone yakking about the latest and greatest gw game really needs to simmer down, calm their tits and give Frostgrave a shot. Especially since you can use the gw fantasy models you already have.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
28 Jan 2018 11:56 #262365 by GorillaGrody

Colorcrayons wrote: This is more of a "what the hell kind of modelling project are you immersing yourself into" than painting, but this seems the best place.

Frostgrave. Mother fucking Frostgrave.

Despite it's occasional swinginess in gameplay, this is the best skirmish game that I have played in quite awhile.

Not just because of the gameplay of being a wizard, but because this encourages creativity rather than hampers it.

I look at the 8 sets of Heroscape thaelenk tundra, and hundreds of snow tiles sitting unused, and really want to somehow convert this into a hex based game. If I could manage this and not fuck with the overall mechanics too hard to do it, I think Frostgrave would be kingshit.

Anyways, I've played a bit here and there with a motley Crew of figs just to get my feet wet, and this game really does deserve the full hobby treatment, so down the rabbit hole I descend again after quite a bit of time away from modelling/painting.

Another factor in why I am doing this is to teach the male spawnling patience. He is really bad about instant gratification. Not that I blame him much in this day and age, but he has been diagnosed with ADHD, and I strongly suspect he is higher on the autistic spectrum than his therapists believe.

So this will get him away from the kaleidoscope of videogames, have more father figure/son time, teach him a few skills by somebody who has been doing this for 30+ years now, and have something to show for his efforts.

Since he is so detailed oriented, I think this would be a very good hobby for hm. But first he must learn patience. Otherwise he will have no interest beyond 5 minutes.

Everyone yakking about the latest and greatest gw game really needs to simmer down, calm their tits and give Frostgrave a shot. Especially since you can use the gw fantasy models you already have.

I have been skirmishing the hell out of Osprey skirmish games lately. Frostgrave is great!
I've got two problems with it:
1) That raw d20 roll for everything is going to make me lose my mind.
2) It tells you to use "any miniatures you have to hand" and then gives you a very set list of things you can field and fight. WTF is a "Rangifer?"

My friend and I have been very Goldilocks about skirmish games, however. There's always something not quite right with them. So far, in spite of the cost, we like Infinity the best, and, for me, I like the homebrewed Hinterland rules for AOS second best (while my friend prefers Rogue Stars).

I'm about to sit down and take a hard look at Kobolds and Cobblestones, sort of a clever, Mordhiem-meets-Poker mash-up.

More
28 Jan 2018 12:00 #262366 by Michael Barnes
Frostgrave rules are $1.99 on Amazon if you have a Kindle or the Kindle app.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.468 seconds