October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
17 Mar 2024 11:17 #341961 by hotseatgames
Had a great 4 player game night last night:

Thunder Road: Vendetta - I just have the retail version. Much fun was had by all, and the whole thing was over due to one player going out just as we were about to introduce the fourth road section. When a player is eliminated, the current last road section becomes the finish line.

Betrayal at House on the Hill 3rd edition - We were supposed to start Betrayal Legacy, which my friend has been sitting on for years. But he was too lazy to punch it out, so we did his also new copy of 3rd edition, which he apparently HAD punched.

Some minor rules adjustments have taken place between 2nd and 3rd edition, mostly involving how the haunt comes to be. These changes seem fine. There is also a handy "omen tracker" now so you don't have to keep counting every player's omen cards. The mini sculpts are better, but they are unpainted now.

The art has been upgraded, and overall things look good... which leads me to my only real component complaint. The color (a very dark green) used on the character boards to indicate your starting stats is virtually unreadable against its black background.

The earliest that the haunt could start would be the third omen card revealed, and sure enough, it was the third omen card revealed. Only one person had any items. The Haunt ended up being fully cooperative (Friendly House on the Hill) and we swiftly perished. Good times.

They Live! the card game - This game continues to delight. I was an alien, as was a friend of mine. The shuffle was not ideal, leading to a ton of pistol ammo being offered, but nary a pistol to be seen. My compatriot was Frank, I was Nada. Frank has a real bummer of an early game disadvantage, in that since he has the most health, he always goes last, which gives him essentially no choices of what cards to collect. As a counter to this, he also ends up getting clobbered by enemies until his health gets low enough that he gets to go earlier in the round.

As Nada, I'm almost as strong as Frank, so I would normally go third in turn order, but I obtained the Preacher, who allows me to roll a die and potentially go first. This was of great help to me. Eventually one of the humans used Hoffman lenses (everyone loved the real glasses gimmick this game uses, and it is truly a great effect) to identify my partner as an alien. Interestingly enough, he kept his info to himself, not even trying to convince the rest of the table of what he had seen. I used this to try to turn the other human against him, to limited success.

My friend was soon eliminated after that, and since it was his first game, he didn't think to do a self reveal before he got killed. This would have fully healed him. Both humans were near death, and one of them used Hoffman lenses on the other. So they both now knew I was the remaining alien player. On my turn I did a self reveal, fully healed, and then used a sniper rifle to destroy one of them. Taking all of their cards, I now had 3 of the 4 city districts required to win. On the next round, I killed the other human, for an alien victory. SLEEP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2024 13:39 #341962 by Disgustipater

hotseatgames wrote: Had a great 4 player game night last night:

Thunder Road: Vendetta - I just have the retail version. Much fun was had by all, and the whole thing was over due to one player going out just as we were about to introduce the fourth road section. When a player is eliminated, the current last road section becomes the finish line.

I played two games of this with 4 players yesterday as well. I have Maximum Chrome and use almost everything. Our first game didn't get to a new road tile either. The lead player managed to take out the last car of someone else before his next (winning move).

The second game we added in the Final Five motorcycle faction. You get five motorcycles that are small vehicles and they can always move through other vehicles when moving. The previous game's winner took the bikes and he was on the very last space on the lead tile and tried the same tactic as before but failed his shooting attack. The next tile turned out to be the Ring of Fire tile (most of it covered in fire, obviously) and he was able to hit a ramp and rolled a 4 to catapult him forward. Of course the road condition we drew for that new tile was Windy, which prevents choppers from being deployed on that tile, so by the next time it came around to him, it was the final tile and he won again. He deserved it, after his abysmal showings in previous plays of the game.

That was the first time I've seen the motorcycles used and they are better than I anticipated. They are hard to shoot at and driving through other cars is huge. I can't wait to try the Big Rig next time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, hotseatgames, sornars, DarthJoJo, n815e, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
17 Mar 2024 16:02 #341963 by dysjunct
THUNDER ROAD (base game only) with the 9yo this morning. She demolished me before we got to the fourth road tile. Proud geek dad moment.

She likes the game a lot, so I went all-in on the Kickstarter to get Maximum Chrome and all the expansions. Will have a base game for sale this winter sometime.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, hotseatgames, Disgustipater, sornars, n815e

More
18 Mar 2024 14:20 #341965 by DarthJoJo
The old crew made the trip down the freeway for a weekend of gaming. Lots of established favorites. We only cracked rulebooks for two games. We took a second run at Ra and actually followed the rule that auctions triggered by Ra tiles don’t wipe the lineup if no one bids. Much better. It’s been said before, but Ra is the realness. No notes.

Also tried Sheriff of Nottingham for the first time because a friend scored it from Goodwill for $7. Doesn’t quite feel there. The pageantry of the inspection is fun, but the incentive to lie doesn’t feel strong enough. Getting runs of legal goods and scoring the majority bonuses was way more powerful than the occasional mead or pepper. Liar’s Dice doesn’t have the same thrill of staring down the sheriff after declaring five chickens but is just the better game in the same zone.

Lots of established favorites otherwise. My run of absolute futility continued in Quacks of Quedlinburg. I went from scraping 70 points in Fantasy Realm to near max points of 253 in two games. Barely missed first in Winner’s Circle but did get to see two pace horses miss the podium entirely. Eventually won four missions of The Crew. There was way more communication than intended, but we needed the wins. Lost Greed hard because someone stole the $10K I needed to build my club and thus cost me $110K. No idea what I was doing in Hansa Teutonica, but it didn’t work at all. The winner of Speicherstadt didn’t take a single ship or contract but did stop every fire and scored all the counting offices and got a point for every dollar left over. Taught one of them Star Wars Unlimited. He wasn’t impressed by the lack of reactions and instants but now has a budget deck of singles in the mail. My oldest boys convinced them to play Ticket to Ride Europe, Marvel United and The DC Deck-Building Game.

Great weekend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, hotseatgames, Nodens, Dive-Dive-Dive!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.472 seconds