Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 22 Jun 2017 23:09 #250330

Grudunza wrote:
Shell, we played Mage Knight, not Magic Realm. Mage Knight drops off exponentially with each additional player. Solo is fantastic, 2 players is okay, and forget it from there.

Yeah, I already went back and edited my post to that effect. Ever since I first heard the comparison, Mage Knight and Magic Realm have occupied adjacent brain cells in my mind. I didn't hate Mage Knight, but it felt like more work than fun. I can see where it would become more playable with familiarity.
  • Shellhead
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2151
Last Edit: 22 Jun 2017 23:10 by Shellhead.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 22 Jun 2017 23:23 #250331

On my birthday, my girlfriend played one of my favorite boardgames with me: Camp Grizzly. It was the worst game of Camp Grizzly that I've ever seen, even though we played on normal difficulty and she quickly understood how the game worked. Otis ambushed me on turn two, and spent most of the rest of the game chasing me. I even drew a card that would redirect the next Otis Strikes event to automatically hit me, but it was irrelevant because he was always after me. Meanwhile, my girlfriend found objective items like every other turn, and quickly had the set needed for the Boat escape. Two turns before she escaped, Otis caught me one last time and killed me, partly because she overlooked a card that could have saved me. Then he killed the wandering NPC, Karen's Boyfriend Eddie. With one more turn, he would have caught my girl, too.

Without spoiling one of the two Boat Escape cards, let's just say that there was a prolonged die-rolling sequence, and she rolled badly too many times. Otis caught her, and she made a plausible argument that she could play a certain card to save herself. Otis caught her again, and she persuaded me (I'm easy with her) that Otis caught her camper sidekick instead. Because she was making creative and thematic excuses involving each of her remaining cards, I let her keep escaping for one more roll until she won, though really this was a game where Otis killed us both in a crushing defeat.

My girlfriend normally doesn't play boardgames because she feels like they run too long compared to her attention span. That wasn't the case tonight, as the whole game took less than 30 minutes. She said it was an interesting game, and meant it because she doesn't bother with diplomacy around me.
  • Shellhead
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2151
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike, the_jake_1973, aaxiom, JEM
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.401 seconds