October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
18 Apr 2016 10:08 #226035 by Gary Sax
That sounds a little unfun. Trapping people and planning carefully against their moves is the core mechanic of Theseus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2016 10:10 - 18 Apr 2016 10:12 #226036 by hotseatgames
They also have a combo between a couple of their cards that is so devastating that if they pull it off, you're pretty much done. It takes a shrewd strategy to beat them. Luckily I knew about it and was able to prevent Pete from getting it.
Last edit: 18 Apr 2016 10:12 by hotseatgames.

More
18 Apr 2016 10:27 #226041 by Legomancer

Columbob wrote:

Legomancer wrote: Pandemic Legacy - we finished Season One. We did...poorly.

Let me tell you, anyone who is still all "OH BOO HOO HOO THE GAME CAN'T BE PLAYED FOREVER AND WANTS ME TO HARM MY PRECIOUS THIIIIIINGS" is denying themselves a huge fun time. We had a blast. I would happily buy another copy and play through it AGAIN, even knowing what's coming.

You really can't replay it with your copy? Honest question.

You can't replay Legacy with it, no. You could play regular Pandemic on the board, but you'd be working around the stickers and stuff.

More
18 Apr 2016 10:38 #226044 by Black Barney
So if I buy or acquire Pandemic Legacy (which I plan to eventually), I have to be super selective of who I play with since I won't be playing it ever again, is that right?

How many hours do you get out of it?

More
18 Apr 2016 10:46 #226047 by Shellhead
In the current boardgame playing environment, the problem with a Legacy-style game isn't the lack of replay value, it's the challenge of getting a group of players to commit to playing it through the first time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, wadenels

More
18 Apr 2016 11:09 #226055 by Black Barney
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. Gotta be very careful to pick the right guys. I don't think it'll be a problem since it's almost ALWAYS the same 3 guys I see for this stuff.

More
18 Apr 2016 11:17 #226056 by Gregarius

Shellhead wrote: In the current boardgame playing environment, the problem with a Legacy-style game isn't the lack of replay value, it's the challenge of getting a group of players to commit to playing it through the first time.

I just don't understand this. I never worried about having the exact same people play Risk: Legacy, and I certainly don't with Pandemic: Legacy. I want as many people to experience as are interested. I also don't want to hamstring myself by thinking, "Oh, we can't play Pandemic: Legacy because Bill isn't here tonight." Screw that. Play for fun with anyone who's around.

I do lament, however, that we don't play it *regularly*. We tore through the first couple of months, but now we've stalled and only play it once every three sessions or so. That sucks. It makes it a little hard to remember the narrative and consequent modifications.

More
18 Apr 2016 12:12 #226059 by Legomancer

Black Barney wrote: So if I buy or acquire Pandemic Legacy (which I plan to eventually), I have to be super selective of who I play with since I won't be playing it ever again, is that right?

How many hours do you get out of it?

We played it EIGHTEEN TIMES. In my 10+ years of boardgaming, I have only 15 games I've played more than 18 times. Quit fucking thinking about it as "NEVER PLAYING AGAIN OH NOOOOOOOOO".

You go see movies all the time that last two hours and then are "done" forever.

FFS, people, it's okay if things end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aaxiom, Unicron

More
18 Apr 2016 12:19 - 18 Apr 2016 12:20 #226060 by boothwah

Legomancer wrote:

Columbob wrote:

Legomancer wrote: Pandemic Legacy - we finished Season One. We did...poorly.

Let me tell you, anyone who is still all "OH BOO HOO HOO THE GAME CAN'T BE PLAYED FOREVER AND WANTS ME TO HARM MY PRECIOUS THIIIIIINGS" is denying themselves a huge fun time. We had a blast. I would happily buy another copy and play through it AGAIN, even knowing what's coming.

You really can't replay it with your copy? Honest question.

You can't replay Legacy with it, no. You could play regular Pandemic on the board, but you'd be working around the stickers and stuff.

You should put up for resale on BGG. I hear everyone losing their shit about that game over there.
Last edit: 18 Apr 2016 12:20 by boothwah.

More
18 Apr 2016 12:23 #226061 by Legomancer

boothwah wrote: You should put up for resale on BGG. I hear everyone losing their shit about that game over there.

only played "once"

More
18 Apr 2016 12:28 #226062 by Unicron

Legomancer wrote: We played it EIGHTEEN TIMES. In my 10+ years of boardgaming, I have only 15 games I've played more than 18 times. Quit fucking thinking about it as "NEVER PLAYING AGAIN OH NOOOOOOOOO".

You go see movies all the time that last two hours and then are "done" forever.

FFS, people, it's okay if things end.

I understand both points, but I play many of my games more than that (or aim to) with more than one set group. Games are entertainment, but I don't think the relationship people have with films is similar. Plenty of people sleeve cards for this game for that reason. The expectation is that they can be shared with others.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
18 Apr 2016 19:06 #226086 by SuperflyPete
Many of my games have been played 20+ times but I couldn't care less if I had one that I had to rebuy.

If you had a "regular" game and it traveled with you a bunch (my copy of Epic Duels came from a punk rock singer and he toured with it) then eventually you'll need to replace it. How is it any different with Legacy games - you simply know the expiration date in advance.

The only valid gripe I can see is someone who LOVES it not being able to rebuy it if it's OOP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aaxiom

More
19 Apr 2016 08:16 #226097 by Black Barney
Lego yelled at me :(

Looks like it'll be another Tuesday evening of cutting myself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, hotseatgames, repoman, Gregarius

More
19 Apr 2016 09:56 #226099 by Disgustipater
I'm about to start Pandemic Legacy and I'm looking forward to it. I always wanted to try Risk Legacy but it never happened.

More
19 Apr 2016 10:38 #226101 by Shellhead

Gregarius wrote:

Shellhead wrote: In the current boardgame playing environment, the problem with a Legacy-style game isn't the lack of replay value, it's the challenge of getting a group of players to commit to playing it through the first time.

I just don't understand this. I never worried about having the exact same people play Risk: Legacy, and I certainly don't with Pandemic: Legacy. I want as many people to experience as are interested. I also don't want to hamstring myself by thinking, "Oh, we can't play Pandemic: Legacy because Bill isn't here tonight." Screw that. Play for fun with anyone who's around.

I do lament, however, that we don't play it *regularly*. We tore through the first couple of months, but now we've stalled and only play it once every three sessions or so. That sucks. It makes it a little hard to remember the narrative and consequent modifications.

Moreso than the somewhat abstract original game, Pandemic Legacy goes to considerable effort to create a sense of narrative. If some of the players are only sporadically playing the game, they are missing out on a lot of the narrative. Maybe that's why the game has lost momentum with your group.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.931 seconds