Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 11 Jan 2018 08:33 #260701

Lol, everyone would be having fun except us
  • Black Barney
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2943
"We must let go of the life we had planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 11 Jan 2018 09:10 #260703

“OK, now that we’ve had a turn to see how it works let’s reset. Oh, and by the way, we’re going to be here for about 12 hours.”

A buddy of mine actually asked to play Puerto Rico on our next get together. At first I was like “whoa time warp” but then I thought “yeah, that actually sounds pretty good.”

It has all of the intricacy of a lot of the games that followed it, but it’s really much cleaner and more direct. It’s a very, very good game and I think time has been kind to it. I wouldn’t stratify with El Grande, but I think dismissing it is a mistake.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • Thank you received: 6269
The following user(s) said Thank You: MattDP, Gary Sax, Black Barney, siberianhusky, Gregarius

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 11 Jan 2018 09:28 #260704

Michael Barnes wrote:
It has all of the intricacy of a lot of the games that followed it, but it’s really much cleaner and more direct. It’s a very, very good game and I think time has been kind to it. I wouldn’t stratify with El Grande, but I think dismissing it is a mistake.

Agreed. And to think Skeletor once called for my dismissal because I rated it 3/5.

It's often miscategorised as a worker placement game when it isn't one, and it's far more accessible and interesting than the tiresome WP behemoths that followed it. It's also an interesting case study in design: about the only randomness in the game is the initial seed of plots you choose from, yet that seed is tremendously important in ensuring the game doesn't get bogged down in repetitive strategies.
  • MattDP
  • Shiny Balls
  • Thank you received: 757
Oftentimes defeat is splendid, victory may still be shame;
Luck is good, the prize is pleasant but the glory's in the game!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 11 Jan 2018 09:35 #260705

MattDP wrote:
It's often miscategorised as a worker placement game when it isn't one, and it's far more accessible and interesting than the tiresome WP behemoths that followed it.

"New" gamers often equate Euro with Worker Placement. They see games from that end of the telescope and cast its concepts on most games they play. I've heard someone call El Grande a form of worker placement which is absurd. But this person's perspective was that skewed based on the then-current state of gaming. Probably five years back.
  • Sagrilarus
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2778
The following user(s) said Thank You: wkover

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 11 Jan 2018 10:14 #260706

hotseatgames wrote:
Just did a solo run with 4 characters of Room 25 Ultimate. This is the base game + first expansion all in one box. I liked it, and it seems like it will be a neat cooperative game. I'm told it's much better with the traitor mode but we will be starting out cooperative, I'm sure.

Its not a bad game to solo for that puzzle aspect of trying to get everyone out alive. I would infact play the first game or two as co-op so that people get comfortable with the design. The suspicion mode is much better when you arent worried about how to play the game once its internalized.

The best format for suspicion is 4 players. This is because at 5 players, you know one person is the traitor, and at 6 players 2 people are the traitor. But at 4 players, there is a chance 0-1 are the traitor.

That right there is some good meta gaming. Because I have seen 50% of 4 player games without a traitor at all, but the distrust running rampant is delicious, and after the game when people chat there is a lot of accusations revealed to be false.
  • Colorcrayons
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 859
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, hotseatgames

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 11 Jan 2018 11:01 #260711

Been hitting Space games a lot lately. A friend got the stupidly fancy wooden insert for Xia, and we played it last week. I really like it, but Nan do I suck at scoring. I somewhat blame the dice hating me, but also I tend to run around and pirate, when commerce seems a clear winning strategy. Yarr!

Eden Project, the Terra Mystica part II game is neat too. I don't own it though, owner burnt herself out playing it every other day so didn't bring it. I only played Terra Mystica once so I kinda got whupped.

Was wondering trying to do a mini trash fest like thing of all Space games, from High Frontier to Galaxy Trucker. I love me some Space.
  • Thaadd
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Goon
  • Thank you received: 28
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb, Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, repoman

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 11 Jan 2018 11:31 #260712

Thaadd wrote:
Was wondering trying to do a mini trash fest like thing of all Space games, from High Frontier to Galaxy Trucker. I love me some Space.

Themed game nights or at least planning what to play ahead of time are the best, imo.
  • Mad Dog
  • Road Warrior
  • Thank you received: 1475

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 11 Jan 2018 11:57 #260717

Colorcrayons wrote:
hotseatgames wrote:
Just did a solo run with 4 characters of Room 25 Ultimate. This is the base game + first expansion all in one box. I liked it, and it seems like it will be a neat cooperative game. I'm told it's much better with the traitor mode but we will be starting out cooperative, I'm sure.

Its not a bad game to solo for that puzzle aspect of trying to get everyone out alive. I would infact play the first game or two as co-op so that people get comfortable with the design. The suspicion mode is much better when you arent worried about how to play the game once its internalized.

The best format for suspicion is 4 players. This is because at 5 players, you know one person is the traitor, and at 6 players 2 people are the traitor. But at 4 players, there is a chance 0-1 are the traitor.

That right there is some good meta gaming. Because I have seen 50% of 4 player games without a traitor at all, but the distrust running rampant is delicious, and after the game when people chat there is a lot of accusations revealed to be false.

Have you tried the new Escape Room expansion? It sounds really cool.
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1697
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 11 Jan 2018 11:59 #260718

Thaadd wrote:
Me too. Putting something in space makes everything better. MERCHANT OF VENUS is an awesome pick-up-and-deliver, you can set this anywhere, but make me dodge warps and asteroids all that and it's way cooler. There's that STAR TREK game that is rethemed MAGE KNIGHT and I have no problems with this. Daviau should have made SPACEFALL.
  • jeb
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2169
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Frohike

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 11 Jan 2018 12:15 #260720

hotseatgames wrote:
Colorcrayons wrote:
hotseatgames wrote:

Have you tried the new Escape Room expansion? It sounds really cool.

Seconded. I almost bought the game a couple months ago just for that expansion.
  • charlest
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1771

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 11 Jan 2018 13:48 #260726

I've tried it, but don't own it nor plan on it.

Escape room isn't really designed for suspicion mode. That's a pretty heavy strike against it for me.

Secundus, if you're a solo gamer, or a gamer who really likes co-op type games then this is more in your wheelhouse. It does make the co-op games more palatable for me.

The puzzle aspect is good and thematic, and the enigma stuff doesn't have a high replay value. It takes the game in a fresh direction, but it adds a lot to how to resolve the game.

I enjoy the simplicity of the game already as it stands, so making the game more convoluted is the main reason why I won't be getting it.

But I do believe if you're a rabid fan and want to make the game a bit more immersive and mimic the cube movie more closely (puzzles and the cube shifting of it's own random volition), then this would be ideal.

I didn't see many tiles that would be a good addition to add to the generic room pool. Though they do have interesting effects. Such as safe rooms that turn deadly once room 25 is publicly revealed. That one caused a huge raucous. And would be pure evil in a suspicion game. Too evil I bet.
But on the whole the room tiles seem to be geared towards the rules of the expansion. And you must own season 2 in order to get some of the scenarios to work.

So you'd have to get this because you want what it specifically offers in it's own twists, rather than supplementing the game you already know with just more creative stuff that doesn't need further explanation. Because it significantly changes the game.
  • Colorcrayons
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
Last Edit: 11 Jan 2018 13:51 by Colorcrayons.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 11 Jan 2018 14:03 #260728

One last thing about room 25 in 4 player suspicion mode.

We've been using two variants. One that I devised for increased paranoia and one I think Vasal suggested years ago for guard balance (that actually does work well).

The first is to allow one randomly selected person at the table to look through and choose from 5 role tiles (4 innocent civilian, and 1 guard) before any roles have been distributed. This is a thematic inclusion, so that one person is seen to know more about the cube than everyone else, but could merely be another innocent victim caught in it's trap.
"Is this man a guard? We all know he was part of the Corp that made this device, but perhaps they trapped him here because he knows too much?" It adds a lot of paranoia and directs it immediately at one single person to get the ball rolling socially.
And also because I am a huge mega bastard, and nearly always win when I am the guard. So it allows someone else to choose to be the guard if they want. But only one person gets that choice. After they choose, everyone else has their roles randomly selected as usual.

The second is the guard reveal. The guard can only use any one action that they choose on their turn instead of two. It's too difficult to defeat the cube and the guard when there isn't any incentive to remain disguised and not reveal your guard status immediately so that you can use any two moves you choose on your turn.

This is the best and most relevant contribution to gaming I have ever seen Vasal make.
  • Colorcrayons
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
Last Edit: 11 Jan 2018 14:14 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 11 Jan 2018 14:31 #260729

Thaadd wrote:
Been hitting Space games a lot lately. A friend got the stupidly fancy wooden insert for Xia, and we played it last week. I really like it, but Nan do I suck at scoring. I somewhat blame the dice hating me, but also I tend to run around and pirate, when commerce seems a clear winning strategy. Yarr!

My strategy thoughts are super early, but I think you're right about the early game. I think you need a tier 2 ship with more guns, engines, etc to make piracy worth it. So on some level even a pirate run has to start by doing something else to make a little scratch.

That said, once you get strong enough, lots of those fame objectives are killing other people and NPCs. And that enforcer is worth 2FP and isn't all that difficult to kill... you can do it over and over again too. I think it catches up to more mundane forms in point generation by the end game.
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2616

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 11 Jan 2018 15:28 #260738

My group in Texas had several people who were huge Puerto Rico fans, and not long before I moved they persuaded me to play it for the first time in like eight years. I agree that while the game isn't much to my tastes, it's a sharp piece of design and feels really well-considered. It's aged quite well I think.

I wrote about the experience a year or so ago.
Subscribe to my game blog, The Rumpus Room.
sanildefanso.wordpress.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: MattDP, Black Barney

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 11 Jan 2018 17:16 #260745

Thaadd wrote:

Eden Project, the Terra Mystica part II game is neat too. I don't own it though, owner burnt herself out playing it every other day so didn't bring it. I only played Terra Mystica once so I kinda got whupped.

Try Small Space Empires. Fun little diversion.
  • SuperflyTNT
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3623
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4
The following user(s) said Thank You: aaxiom
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.438 seconds