October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
21 Jul 2017 12:11 #251480 by Michael Barnes
It is, but it is absolutely worth liquidating some of your lesser games to do so.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2017 14:04 #251487 by Frohike
The Kickstarter for Argent 2nd edition is live and I think I'm in.

Gary Sax, what is your opinion on the Summer Break and Mancers expansions? Worth picking up with the core set?

More
21 Jul 2017 19:36 - 21 Jul 2017 21:28 #251506 by Pat II
I dont back many Kickstarters but i was backing Zombicide Green Horde and bailed out towards the end. I like Black Plague well enough but started looking at the price and figured I might not see all of this stuff on the table. Once I got the email from Peterson Games that OS2 was complete and retail would soon be available I quickly rescheduled and rearranged my finances for that.
Last edit: 21 Jul 2017 21:28 by Pat II.

More
21 Jul 2017 21:38 - 22 Jul 2017 13:59 #251510 by Gary Sax

Frohike wrote: The Kickstarter for Argent 2nd edition is live and I think I'm in.

Gary Sax, what is your opinion on the Summer Break and Mancers expansions? Worth picking up with the core set?

Thanks for this, I went in for the upgrade edition immediately. Though I'm not sure if I have a huge use for the mages since my wife added magnets and painted wooden discs to the garbage base mages to accomplish the same thing, which have sentimental value.

Tentatively, I would say yes? Technomancers is a "more" expansion---not as essential as something like Forbidden Lore for Eldritch Horror but along the same lines. There's still tons of variety in the base game, so that's actually a bit of a compliment. 1) It adds rooms, supporters, items, etc. The items tend to be a little bit more niche and off the wall and better for experienced players, but nothing about the game is super complicated even in the expansion. 2) I never play any of the scenarios so that's a bust to me. Not because they're bad but because I don't feel bored with the base scenario variety---after 25 games. 3) It also adds a new faction and mage type which is focused on research. They're fun, very balanced and make logical sense in the game. I never play without any of the additions from the expansion except for scenarios. I added them into the game after my second game, I believe.

For Summer Break... eh? New beach themed items are, again, just another way for the game to get into interesting board states so I can't complain but none of them jumped out at me besides a couple interesting high cost ones (keys IIRC). There's only one thing that is really good in Summer Break, and it is what amounts to an intro scenario you can play with overwhelmed players (the tableau and game state, as others have mentioned, are completely overwhelming and initially inscrutable). THAT is a good addition, and IMHO should be in the base game rather than here.

It's a little tough because on some level when you add stuff to Argent you're just adding more situations. You're creating more iterations of possibly weird board and mage situations to dynamically combo and puzzle through for 5 turns---while being blasted by fireballs and the like. But that's also sort of the joy of the game and what separates it from much more rote and static worker placement, so I think that's kind of a significant plus for these expansions. Neither drastically alter the game unless you do one of the scenarios in Technomancer.
Last edit: 22 Jul 2017 13:59 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
22 Jul 2017 08:23 #251513 by drewcula
I'm backing Cthulhu Wars Onslaught 3 for $200.
I adore Lovecraft, the Cthulhu Mythos, Sandy Petersen, and this ridiculously big board game.

I'm hosting a five player game tonight!

Love me some 'Opener of the Way.' Tonight we crack open the 'Sleeper.' An out of town/country guest is spending the weekend [for tomorrow's DreadBall tournament], and since he's from Canada - it only made sense. He's the 'Sleeper.'

I backed 'Green Menace,' and I'm truly questioning why. WHY? I don't think it'll see much table time. 'Massive Darkness' delivers in August, and I must swear/vow to myself: IF MASSIVE DARKNESS SUCKS, I MUST PURGE IT ALONG WITH ZOMBICIDE. The crossover decks are theoretically a major appeal.

I'm considering a pledge for 'Who Goes There?' On the other hand, I may just chill out and see if the game gets any lovely reviews once it hits retail.

I backed some photography equipment. It's tech I know I'll use.

I backed my first video game, and it finally delivered last month. Friday the 13th. It was a mess at launch, but the developers have done much to make improvements. It still has a lot of bugs. However, the theme is so rich and spot on! I play with five other friends in private matches and we scream like little girls. It's a riot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Frohike

More
22 Jul 2017 14:48 - 22 Jul 2017 14:49 #251519 by Not Sure
I just had the Argent Kickstarter pointed out to me as well by a friend. Definitely in for the upgrade kit, as I haven't cut up and magnetized my old pieces yet.

Summer Break is the one thing I don't have. Trying to figure out if there's any other stuff I really want aside from the card reprints and a second set of pieces, and if trying to add Summer Break is worth it.

I'd totally agree with Sax's assessment of Mancers. It's a good addition, even if you don't use all of it. The extra faction is nice to have, and breaks things up in new ways.
Last edit: 22 Jul 2017 14:49 by Not Sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
22 Jul 2017 18:52 #251525 by wadenels
I backed Argent at the $100 level (all the stuff for a newcomer) based on the high praise of some of the best tastemakers here. I feel $100 is a bit steep, but I haven't been buying many games lately so I figured this was an OK spend.

I also backed Parsley Games' Action Castle at the PDF level. I spent a lot of time playing classic text adventures as a kid so the concept really appeals to me, even being the reader/parser as I'm probably destined to always be. It could be a lot of fun or it could be a total flop, but it's something I'm willing to risk $15 on.

More
22 Jul 2017 19:10 #251527 by Gary Sax
I don't think you'll be let down if you've played worker placement and liked the basic idea but not the execution in most versions you've ever played..

More
22 Jul 2017 20:10 #251529 by cdennett

Not Sure wrote: Summer Break is the one thing I don't have. Trying to figure out if there's any other stuff I really want aside from the card reprints and a second set of pieces, and if trying to add Summer Break is worth it.

It's overpriced: www.miniaturemarket.com/l9gar003.html Even with $6 shipping it's still cheaper, and I don't think it's essential at all. Really just there if you get bored with the base game, and that's pretty hard to do.

I consider the Mancers expansion mandatory, IMO. It's just more content that fits seamlessly with the old, and in this game that is never a bad thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Not Sure, Frohike

More
22 Jul 2017 20:51 - 22 Jul 2017 20:51 #251530 by Michael Barnes
You want Mancers. It adds a lot, and it's pretty much what you want in an extension to he core game. The summer thing is one of L99's sort of cutie-poo novelty expansions.
Last edit: 22 Jul 2017 20:51 by Michael Barnes.

More
23 Jul 2017 08:52 #251536 by Legomancer
Almost bit on the Argent upgrade but no one I've introduced it to has been much crazy about it. I think there's a good game in there but it's so bogged down with extra bullshit that it's hard to get to. It already feels like a game I'm inadvisably playing with all the expansions to, and all I have is the base game. I'm okay giving it up as a lost cause instead of throwing more cash after it.

More
23 Jul 2017 17:37 - 23 Jul 2017 19:05 #251545 by Not Sure

cdennett wrote:

Not Sure wrote: Summer Break is the one thing I don't have. Trying to figure out if there's any other stuff I really want aside from the card reprints and a second set of pieces, and if trying to add Summer Break is worth it.

It's overpriced: www.miniaturemarket.com/l9gar003.html Even with $6 shipping it's still cheaper, and I don't think it's essential at all. Really just there if you get bored with the base game, and that's pretty hard to do.

I consider the Mancers expansion mandatory, IMO. It's just more content that fits seamlessly with the old, and in this game that is never a bad thing.

Thanks, that'll do fine. I can add it to an MM order, and just get the regular upgrade kit. The Kickstarter says they're not changing anything in there anyway. I already bought the silly Promo Pack when BGG had it (probably an even lower value), but I just like throwing stuff into the box.

ETA: Picked up an $8.99 copy of Summer Break with Prime, and backed at the $28 "Alumni" level for the figures, reprints, and new stuff.
Last edit: 23 Jul 2017 19:05 by Not Sure.

More
24 Jul 2017 12:50 #251585 by san il defanso
I also backed Argent's upgrade kit. I'll probably pass on Summer Break, I've lived without it fine until this point.

Mancers is a great expansion though. You should be able to use most of it fine without adding too much complexity to the game. The school of Technomancy is really fun, because it makes sure spells will always be involved in the game. That can sometimes be difficult if research is at a premium in whatever setup you're using. The extra rooms are a great addition as well.

More
27 Jul 2017 14:31 #251754 by jpat
I know this isn't about KS I'm not backing, but I'm having a really difficult, first-world-problems struggle with myself over backing the CW Kickstarter to not "lose out" after having most-all gameplay elements from the first two waves or preordering the War of the Ring LE of Warriors of Middle-earth, as I have the anniversary edition (but not the Lords of Middle-earth limited, and there's always the "threat" that Ares will publish the trilogy of expansions in LE form in a few years).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
27 Jul 2017 14:59 #251756 by stormseeker75
Can anyone opine on the two-player worthiness of CW? I get the feeling this is a pass, but my FOMO is kicking in pretty hard.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.523 seconds