October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
06 Sep 2017 10:23 #253758 by Grudunza

hotseatgames wrote: Something about this Black Souls game seems appealing to me; I like the concept, I suppose. I'll be watching this one. I tried to find it at Gen Con to have a look for myself, and simply could not find these people.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1898315323/...e?ref=profile_backed

The meta gaming thing and cutesy style doesn't grab me, but the idea of the game is pretty clever; like a very simple type of Dungeon Lords thing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2017 11:19 #254748 by hotseatgames
The designer of Guards of Atlantis, which I loved, and some others here didn't like so well, launched a new kickstarter today. I backed it because it looks like a cool space game with neat hand management. Warpgate: www.kickstarter.com/projects/wolffdesign...rpgate?ref=user_menu

He has an add-on option to get a copy of Guards, if you want it. :)

More
01 Nov 2017 08:01 #256753 by hotseatgames
I'm not backing because I know I wouldn't get it to the table, but this war game from the creator of Axis and Allies looks pretty rad: www.kickstarter.com/projects/1957090458/...?ref=category_newest
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, jpat

More
07 Nov 2017 09:38 #257183 by hotseatgames
Oh man, will your game group be blown away when you put tokens in these BOARD GAME BOWLS. www.kickstarter.com/projects/698904772/b...?ref=category_newest

Don't be that loser putting tokens in random piles on the table.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
07 Nov 2017 09:44 #257184 by Michael Barnes
Imagine if you had to reflect on the things you did in life and in there was "bought special bowls for board game pieces because regular bowls were not 'user friendly'".

I should go up to the Dollar Store and buy out their stock of wooden salsa bowls to resell at half the price of "Board Game Bowls"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
07 Nov 2017 09:58 #257185 by Matt Thrower

Michael Barnes wrote: Imagine if you had to reflect on the things you did in life and in there was "bought special bowls for board game pieces because regular bowls were not 'user friendly'".

People ... actually put money on this. I've seen some weird shit on KS since it launched, but it mostly attracted tumbleweeds. The fact this is getting funded may be the most freakish thing I've seen to date.

I could have stopped by to mention that I went in for the Amber Mines expansion for Near and Far, but it closed yesterday with all the stretch goals so that's kind of pointless. I really only wanted the co-op/solo play mode and the metal coins but yet, it's not too expensive provided I don't get hit for import tax.

That makes it a mighty five tabletop game projects I've backed in my life. One was great, one I've never played but I wanted to support because the designers were awesome and three I have yet to receive. Welcome to the future of gaming.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
07 Nov 2017 10:32 #257186 by Michael Barnes
I think it's because gamers desperately want to legitimize their hobby as an adult thing. Just like the table toppers and the stupid fucking gaming tables. Realm Coins, the wooden organizers, all of it. It all seems more adult and less ephemeral when you are buying expensive equipment that supports your hobby. People come over for game night,see your board game bowls, and they know that you are SERIOUS about it.

But these. Are. Fucking. Bowls.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, Shellhead, Gary Sax, Frohike

More
07 Nov 2017 10:38 #257187 by Shellhead

Michael Barnes wrote: I think it's because gamers desperately want to legitimize their hobby as an adult thing. Just like the table toppers and the stupid fucking gaming tables. Realm Coins, the wooden organizers, all of it. It all seems more adult and less ephemeral when you are buying expensive equipment that supports your hobby. People come over for game night,see your board game bowls, and they know that you are SERIOUS about it.

But these. Are. Fucking. Bowls.

Great insight, and it also speaks volumes to the eurogame fetish. Some people are a little uncomfortable about playing games because they are adults, so they need their games to be brown, stuffy, economic, and pretentious. It would be humiliating for them to be seen playing games with bright colors and miniature soldiers and laughing out loud like vagrant scum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
07 Nov 2017 11:37 #257189 by Pat II
So does this mean I can expect zero support around here when my boardgame "Board" goes live? These are custom sized boards to fit under your...board. Why place a boardgame on just any surface when you can have "Pat's Bitchin Boards" for each of your games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, wadenels

More
07 Nov 2017 11:45 #257190 by charlest
You know, if you had a stylized graphic frame that could sell.

More
07 Nov 2017 11:56 - 07 Nov 2017 12:07 #257191 by Sagrilarus
This is a second round for these things. Apparently this guy wants his kickstarter dream to come true twice. I was in on a conversation last year for them and asked if they're the gaming equivalent of throw-pillows.

I don't think it's as much about trying to make the hobby adult as it is scratching the buy-itch and they have one of everything else already. The worst thing to happen to a collector is to complete their collection.

To some extent it's a lifestyle thing. The competitive sailors here do the same thing. They buy sailing sneakers, which are sneakers. Sailing shorts, which are shorts, etc. It's like tithing to the gods of your chosen hobby, an expression of dedication.

You can get your own made from online shops by the way. "I do board games real good" would be my choice. Have a picture of wood and sheep, force nicely dressed people to use them at board game conventions and take lots of pictures.
Last edit: 07 Nov 2017 12:07 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat

More
07 Nov 2017 12:00 #257192 by Sagrilarus

Pat II wrote: So does this mean I can expect zero support around here when my boardgame "Board" goes live? These are custom sized boards to fit under your...board. Why place a boardgame on just any surface when you can have "Pat's Bitchin Boards" for each of your games.

Put felt on it to preserve the backs of your boards from table wear. This would fly Pat. Spend an hour and post it. "Made from multi-laminate cross-grained white pine for durability and warp resistance."

More
07 Nov 2017 14:32 #257208 by Pat II
An LED scoreboard and we're done lol.

More
08 Nov 2017 09:03 #257241 by D_S
Speaking of using KS to support board game designers we like, I backed Craig Van Ness’s Shifting Realms.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/soaringrhin...realms?ref=user_menu

I didn’t see any chatter about it here. But I’m phone posting so maybe I missed it.

More
08 Nov 2017 11:06 #257259 by Legomancer

D_S wrote: Speaking of using KS to support board game designers we like, I backed Craig Van Ness’s Shifting Realms.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/soaringrhin...realms?ref=user_menu

I didn’t see any chatter about it here. But I’m phone posting so maybe I missed it.

I played it at FalCon and it was a lot of fun!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.362 seconds