October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What game are you FANTASIZING over?

More
11 Apr 2013 20:43 #150158 by Jason Lutes

Almalik wrote: Jason, have you played any of the higher level (4th or 5th) DCC modules? I'm curious to see how the system holds up, as our game world is getting littered with the bodies of our 1st and 2nd level guys.

No, we've only played 0-level, and I'm curious too. Things open way up at level 1 (as you know), but I really wonder how the game feels at higher levels.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2013 00:41 #150169 by Cranberries
Wow, DCC RPG sounds great. My son just bought like eight Pathfinder books, however, and I don't want to bum him out by forking my brain cycles into a new rpg.

Pax Porkchopia sounds really rich and textured, doesn't cost much, doesn't play too long and is complex and interesting. I know I'll never get a three player game together but I'm going to buy it as an investment in a possible future of awesome game playing.

More
13 Apr 2013 12:13 #150237 by Jason Lutes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik, Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse

More
14 Apr 2013 04:50 #150254 by Jackwraith
Games I want to get on the table: Well, all of them, really.

I loved Necromunda. I had a pretty advanced Delaque gang (the Sump Ghouls) and a noobish Spyrer gang (the Novitiates.) A good friend had Cawdor and Skavvies. We had a really dense campaign going at one point where we were playing every couple days. However, the GW minis game that I'd really love to get on the table right now is Epic Armageddon. I had IG and the same friend had Orks and we went at it, hammer and tongs, for a few months. We used to combine campaigns of Epic, BFG, and 40K. I'm in the process of selling most of the latter two games (holding on to my Sisters and Mechanicus fleet; I have thousands upon thousands of points in other armies and fleets) but I can't part with my Epic stuff. I think it's the best minis game GW ever made, especially with the fan-created rules updates of the past decade. I don't think I'll ever part with my gangs, either. Thankfully, they take up very little space.

Board games that should really hit the table more often: TI3 (session in planning), Runewars, and any number of two-player wargames, including Paths of Glory, Crusader Rex, and War of the Ring. I'd also like to drag out The Hellgame again one of these days, even though most of my group avoids it because of its extremee randomness.

Game I haven't played in 30 years and would really like to locate a copy: Yeoman. I loved the old SPI hex-and-counter stuff and Yeoman was my favorite.

More
14 Apr 2013 04:56 #150255 by Jackwraith

Jason Lutes wrote: Magic is rare, unpredictable and dangerous. There's an entire chapter devoted to magic swords. It is suggested that you never identify monsters by name, but to describe them suggestively and let the players decide what to call them. There's just this prevailing attitude about the whole endeavor that I find infectious and inspiring.oing its job.

This sounds like the Gamma World campaigns I used to run. I'd give new players some basic guidelines on what their character would know (if they lived near the threat of Hoops, for example, they'd be familiar with them.) But everything else was new and I'd change the names of creatures they encountered to what they or NPCs would casually refer to them as. Technology was the "rare, unpredictable, and dangerous" magic and I always strove to keep it that way, even as they became more familiar with basic devices. Other than a couple games that I created, Gamma World was always my favorite RPG. I think I did my best as a GM with that setting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jason Lutes

More
14 Apr 2013 06:54 #150257 by ThirstyMan
This reminds me of Paranoia where even the simplest bit of new technology has no user manual and could easily be fatal to the entire team in the hands of anyone at all.

Paranoia had the mechanism of limited clones which acted as cannon fodder while you sorted out how the fuck to survive. A bit like your group of 4 level-0 folk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
22 May 2013 16:48 #152643 by Almalik

I started blogging our latest DCC RPG session, in case anyone's interested.

Just got caught up on the last episodes of your Halls of the Minotaur adventure and ...

When is the Kickstarter for the comic version of this starting up!? (of course Thrilling Tales of Adventure has to take priority, I know) ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
22 May 2013 17:54 #152656 by The Prodigal Player

More
22 May 2013 18:10 #152659 by Shellhead
This is dangerous for my wallet, but I have been obsessing over War of Honor recently. I love big multi-player games, and I love the Rokugan setting for the Legend of the Five Rings CCG, but multi-player L5R never worked properly, due to unlimited alliance potential and hardcore leader-bashing. Strategic L5R was awesome, but normally there aren't enough players except at a major convention. War of Honor looks like a very workable multi-player format for L5R, stealing the hex-build setup of Twilight Imperium 3 with the alliance structure and vp format of Cosmic Encounter with a couple of new ideas. As far as I can tell, just about any L5R deck would work for War of Honor, though the game comes with four pre-built decks.

I've been away from the local L5R tournament scene for more than a decade, but I noticed that a recent local tournament drew 47 players, and I know at least one of those players really well. So I rationalized that it would be okay for me to buy War of Honor and then a set of Emperor Edition starter decks, in hopes of a big 9-player game at some point.

More
22 May 2013 18:11 #152660 by ChristopherMD
Probably the only game I'll buy this year is Robinson Crusoe. Haven't gotten to play it but I like the theme a lot and reviews have been encouraging that the game will do well in my group.

More
22 May 2013 18:45 #152665 by SuperflyPete
Wilderness. Still haven't gotten it but I surely will.

More
22 May 2013 20:04 #152679 by Ska_baron
Risk Legacy.

I'm have 4 guys over to really tear into it. May not make it up to 15 games this go 'round, but damn if we won't try.

More
22 May 2013 20:20 - 22 May 2013 20:23 #152684 by mikecl

Mad Dog wrote: Probably the only game I'll buy this year is Robinson Crusoe. Haven't gotten to play it but I like the theme a lot and reviews have been encouraging that the game will do well in my group.

I have the Portal Games version from Poland and it's a great little game. It IS a Euro with some random Ameritrash mechanics (tile pulls and random card generation for events). It's a great, but punishing coop with a an excellent theme that's well realized.

It IS a little on the Euro dry side in that it requires careful group planning (much like Ghost Stories and almost as tight) to succeed. Each adventure gets progressively more difficult as the scenarios narrow the margin of error as the difficulty increases.

However, the scenarios are very replayable because there's enough randomness to make each one a different adventure every time.
Last edit: 22 May 2013 20:23 by mikecl.

More
22 May 2013 23:30 #152699 by wkover

Ska_baron wrote: Risk Legacy.

I'm have 4 guys over to really tear into it. May not make it up to 15 games this go 'round, but damn if we won't try.

When we first got Risk Legacy, the games went so quickly that we played three short games in one afternoon. So you should get pretty far into the campaign. At least 10 games, hopefully.

More
23 May 2013 10:49 #152713 by Erik Twice
I got you all beat. I'm salivating over 1843, which is Clearclaw's variation on 1830.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.350 seconds