October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BEVERAGE are you drinking?

More
10 Apr 2014 14:06 - 10 Apr 2014 14:07 #175569 by OldHippy

Hatchling wrote: I'm with you on Dieu Du Ciel, jonjacob. Yum!

I've been on a chai tea kick these days. I seem to be having a couple of those a day recently. Before that it was ginger and lemongrass green tea.

Ginger is one of the best flavours of all time. No question.

When I'm not drinking booze (which honestly is most of the time) I like to grate ginger into a pot of water, boil it, and add some lemon and honey. That's my tea at home. So easy to make and incredibly delicious. If I'm sick I'll add garlic and a touch of cayenne pepper. For tea lately I've been drinking a Cinnamon Rooibos from Davids Tea. It's pretty fucking great.
Last edit: 10 Apr 2014 14:07 by OldHippy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2014 14:11 - 10 Apr 2014 14:14 #175570 by Sagrilarus

Gary Sax wrote:

wice wrote: I would rather have a fantastic beer for $5 than a shitty one for $1.5.

I still think there's a place for a good session beer. If there's one thing I think the craft beer revolution has gotten wrong, it's by overfocusing on incredibly high gravity, knock you on your ass kind of beers that you can only really have one of. I love that those exist, don't get me wrong, but there's a niche to be filled of something you would have 3-4 of during an evening both alcohol content and flavorwise that is not MGD.

Am I the only person whose taste in beer changes with the weather? I'll drink porters in the winter but if I'm standing at the grill on a 95 degree day Miller Genuine Draft goes down just fine. The idea of drinking something heavy in the heat just doesn't come to me.

My general-purpose beer is Yuengling Lager (and for the record I spelled that right on my first shot!) and maybe Sam Smith Nut Brown when I'm feeling rich. But as often as not I'm in the liquor store buying what looks good for that afternoon, and a passing shower can make a difference.

S.
Last edit: 10 Apr 2014 14:14 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
10 Apr 2014 14:13 #175571 by Black Barney

JonJacob wrote:
I like to grate ginger into a pot of water, boil it, and add some lemon and honey. That's my tea at home. So easy to make and incredibly delicious. If I'm sick I'll add garlic and a touch of cayenne pepper. For tea lately I've been drinking a Cinnamon Rooibos from Davids Tea. It's pretty fucking great.

Uruguay

More
10 Apr 2014 14:16 #175572 by OldHippy
That's exactly right Sag. On hot days I like a wheat ale with some orange or some other kind of citrus. In the winter I want heavier beers normally. The other thing that dictates this is the timing and the amount. So on a hot afternoon I may drink one dark beer, even one of those meaty Belgian things like Golden Dragon (for the record I don't even want to try spelling that in the original language without google) but if I know I'm in for more than one there is no way I'll do it. I may even switch to a mixed drink (Rum and Ginger Beer is likely).

There are a ton of factors that go into this and curiosity is a big one for me. I quite often just try to get something I haven't had before. That's one of my biggest driving factors most nights.

More
10 Apr 2014 14:32 #175576 by Sagrilarus
Yeah, and it can even change as the night burns on. Sober taste buds actually work as spec'd and you want to go for something upscale that you'll enjoy more. But as the evening burns on it pays to move to a cheaper brand because you're just looking to top off your buzz. I've gotten to the age where two glasses (four shots more or less) is a typical evening whiskey run so it isn't as big a deal anymore, but when I was going after the World Beer Club at the local bar years back I'd have one of the good ones first, work through the middle of the card and then finish with one of turkeys (the Korean beers were particularly rough) when it's actually an advantage to be taste-impaired.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
10 Apr 2014 14:42 #175578 by VonTush
The Dr Pepper tap at Wendy's must have been off, or the syrup was running low, because I'm drinking a cup full of ball-sweat right now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Hatchling, OldHippy, wadenels

More
10 Apr 2014 14:49 - 10 Apr 2014 14:51 #175579 by wadenels
My beer tastes are all over the place. I'm more likely to buy cheaper stuff in the summer when I just want something that's cold, wet, and booze. Whatever the bar is carrying on special or happy hour is usually fine unless they have something on tap that I know I really like. We're lucky enough to have Surly Brewing here in Minnesota and most of their stuff is fantastic if you like a lot of flavor, which I do. We also have Summit and Schell's. Summit makes OK stuff, but I don't really like anything Schell's. We've had quite a few other minor breweries pop up lately but it seems to me that most of it's crap that people drink and fawn over because it's "local". Years ago I toured the New Belgium and Odell's breweries in Colorado when they were small local things that my relatives in Fort Collins knew about. I was pumped the first time I saw them in a Minnesota liquor store, and now that they're around I drink a lot of their stuff.

I wish we got Yuengling here, I drank a bunch of that a couple years ago when I spent a month in Florida.

I have four different beers in the fridge right now and I can't name three of them off the top of my head because I like to buy random stuff to try. They're all IPAs though, I know that much. Ice fishing this past winter I had a bunch of Old Milwaukee. I lived through it and fun was had.

On the liquor front I drink a lot of scotch. I really like Glenlivet, but I really don't like paying a bunch for it so it's kind of a treat. I normally drink Dewar's White Label because I can get big jugs of it for cheap and it's alright on ice. I like a lot of different whiskeys, both bourbon and "other". Knob Creek is usually my go-to bourbon because it lands on a nice spot in the taste vs price chart. I'm no aficionado. For my tastes buying a $60 bottle of liquor is like buying a $10 hot dog or a $30 steak. I'm not going to get 3-4x the enjoyment of Dewar's, Johnsonville, or my grill out back.

My wife likes to make bloody marys and margaritas, and I don't really care too much what cheap booze ends up in those.

The only things I turn down are Bacardi, Southern Comfort, super-light beers, and just about anything traditionally Miller branded. I don't know why but since a few years ago I've started getting headaches when I drink MGD, and now I'm kinda gun-shy on their stuff.
Last edit: 10 Apr 2014 14:51 by wadenels.

More
10 Apr 2014 15:43 - 10 Apr 2014 15:44 #175583 by charlest

VonTush wrote: The Dr Pepper tap at Wendy's must have been off, or the syrup was running low, because I'm drinking a cup full of ball-sweat right now.

I'm pretty sure ball-sweat is one of the 27 flavors. Should stick with Coke Zero which has no hint of genitalia in its flavor.
Last edit: 10 Apr 2014 15:44 by charlest.

More
10 Apr 2014 18:09 #175586 by SusanR
Kombucha.

I was buying a bottle here and there from the grocery store and got hooked. At $3 a bottle though, it was too pricey so I decided to brew my own. It's turned out great. I like it plain, but my best batch was a lemon/ginger one. I have a two gallon jar with a spigot set up in my bathtub. Started my culture with a bottle of raw, organic store-bought (Synergy brand)stuff. It's pretty easy.

I think the stuff is becoming all the rage now, and it's supposed to be healthy (probiotics)but what's really driving me is that I like the sour taste.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
10 Apr 2014 18:50 #175589 by Michael Barnes
I wish we got Yuengling here, I drank a bunch of that a couple years ago when I spent a month in Florida

You can simulate the taste of Yuengling by boiling corn and drinking the water.

Somebody mentioned the whole craft beer drive toward undrinkability...man, that is so true. Imperial everything, over-hopping or over-malting everything, coming up with bizarre ass shit like WATERMELON beer...whatever happened to just good, solid, drinkable beer being what you after instead of this "these beers of ours" bullshit that seems to exist only to weed out the casual beer fans?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, VonTush

More
10 Apr 2014 20:22 #175597 by wadenels

Michael Barnes wrote: I wish we got Yuengling here, I drank a bunch of that a couple years ago when I spent a month in Florida

You can simulate the taste of Yuengling by boiling corn and drinking the water.

Somebody mentioned the whole craft beer drive toward undrinkability...man, that is so true. Imperial everything, over-hopping or over-malting everything, coming up with bizarre ass shit like WATERMELON beer...whatever happened to just good, solid, drinkable beer being what you after instead of this "these beers of ours" bullshit that seems to exist only to weed out the casual beer fans?

http://rogue.com/store/categories/Voodoo/

More
10 Apr 2014 20:31 #175598 by Da Bid Dabid

ThirstyMan wrote: On a totally unrelated thread hijack note, how much Diclofenac should I take after a root canal? It fucking hurts like a motherfucker. Is that shit safe? Can I take a shitload every 4 hours?

Although here in the US we generally prefer other NSAIDs, I am much more familiar with say ibuprofen, I beleive Diclofenac is well tolerated like that. While every patient has different needs dosing schedule etc. I would usually give 400 mg ibuprofen for its anti-inflammatory properties every 4 hour hours and in between dosages give Vicodin or some other narotic every 4 hours, therefore dosing every 2 hours. Side effects will generally be worse if you go heavy one drug instead of alternating. Chronic use of NSAIDs result in stomach GI stuff such as ulcers and such and just be aware if you have liver issues or are on other critical meds that are broken down in liver (most of them). Overall its a pretty safe drug.

Speaking of liver issues and getting back on topic. Been drinking away my Hopslam supply, down to a 6er. Had an alright bomber of Flying Hippo - belgian IPA from my favorite UP brewery Blackrocks - it was decent but nothing special, hoping for better from the bomber of Barbaric Yawp a scotch ale. Also recently stopped by Dragonsmead brewery which I didn't realize is like 8 minutes from my house. Blown away by how many taps they had, tried a few things without anything standing out but everything being decent to solid. Took a growler of Final Absolution home for a buddy and one of Crown Jewels IPA for myself, which are now both also drank. Said buddy also brought a bomber of Stone Enjoy by 4/20 IPA, I had this last year and its very refreshing will likely enjoy by 4/20 as it says on the bottle. Finally as its getting warm out again and BBQ season is firing up my tastes will likely drift to Labatt and Miller High Life. Split a case of bottles with a buddy at Tiger's opening day tailgate and can't wait to grill and drink more of that as well on the nice weekends.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThirstyMan

More
10 Apr 2014 20:35 #175599 by Gary Sax
My brother told me I have to try the Stone Enjoy by 4/20, good to hear someone else recommend it.

More
10 Apr 2014 20:50 #175600 by madwookiee
Orkney's Skull Splitter. Now, that's a beer.

More
10 Apr 2014 21:38 - 10 Apr 2014 21:52 #175604 by Sagrilarus

Michael Barnes wrote: You can simulate the taste of Yuengling by boiling corn and drinking the water.

. . . over-hopping or over-malting everything, coming up with bizarre ass shit like WATERMELON beer...whatever happened to just good, solid, drinkable beer being what you after instead of this "these beers of ours" bullshit that seems to exist only to weed out the casual beer fans?

Sorry dude, even a hipster of your deep, profound level has to pick one side of an argument or the other for the duration of a single post.

S.
Last edit: 10 Apr 2014 21:52 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, wice

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.319 seconds