October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What SPORTS are you following?

More
12 Oct 2017 22:02 #255626 by san il defanso

dysjunct wrote: I have found myself watching the Cubs-Nationals game. Thanks to whomever recommend Channel Pear on the Roku many moons ago. Shellhead, I think.

I am not that much into baseball, especially since Vin Scully (the voice of my childhood, second only to Chick Hearn) retired, but damn I love the idea of baseball. One of my game nerd buddies is a huge Cubs fan; I got to watch them win the series last year with him and that was a great friendship bonding experience. He is occupied tonight, so I feel I have to hold it down for him. I am torn, because if they win then they play the Dodgers. My dad died over the summer and he was a hardcore Dodgers fan from the Brooklyn days. So I have fierce and really unexpected attachment to them going all the way this season.

Edit: I should start a twitter feed or something with nothing but out-of-context quotes from sports analysts. They sound so, so dumb. “Be that as it may, Jim, but at the end of the day he needs to throw strikes.”

When I was young I cared about the sports themselves, but now that I'm older I find that they are one of the most consistent connecting points between my dad and I, and that's what I find myself caring about when my own sons show any interest in sports. That was also true of my grandfather, with whom I watched MANY Ohio State and Cleveland Indians games. Watching Cleveland come so close to a WS win last year was a pretty emotional thing for me, because I knew how much he would have enjoyed watching them. He did live long enough to see Ohio State win the CFB playoff in 2014. He died like two months after that game, I'm glad he got to experience that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, dysjunct

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2017 11:56 #255660 by metalface13
This article about Target investing in US youth soccer includes some good points about the lack of development in US soccer among disadvantaged youth:
www.whatahowler.com/targets-move-nascar-...-face-youth-game-us/

And this about MLS salaries compared to other leagues: www.americansocceranalysis.com/home/2015...sualizingmlssalaries

MLS's low salaries (for professional sports) make playing soccer professionally really unappealing. Sure it's very comfortable money if you're coming from a poor, disadvantaged background but compared to the money you could be getting as even a benchwarmer in the NFL or NBA, it's just a no brainer.

Of course the current MLS owners have no desire for pro/rel, but I think it could really be in the league's best interest. There the success stories of soccer booming in Seattle, Portland, Atlanta, Kansas City, but then you have the duds like Colorado, New England, Philadelphia, etc. Owners who are more than content to just have ho-hum to even terrible teams so they can collect TV money rights. I think pro/rel would boost TV ratings more than anything else MLS could do. In the early MLS season I'm not paying attention because the European leagues are coming to a close. Then in the summer I tune in a little more because there isn't any other soccer to watch, but it's also some pretty meaningless games at this point. Then things start to ramp up as the season starts to close, teams are playing for play-off spots and the Premiere League comes back on so I can watch soccer all day on a Saturday (potentially). Anyways, it means meaningful games all season long.

And then there are so many cities that want MLS teams, but how many teams can the league sustain? It would incentivize more investment in the league and the sport if the cost to entry was lower, you build or buy a franchise in the lowest level of the pyramid, but you have the carrot of making it all the way up to MLS.

More
22 Oct 2017 11:36 #256162 by Mr. White
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, san il defanso

More
22 Oct 2017 13:08 #256168 by Black Barney
What’s going on there? Was that called safe?

More
22 Oct 2017 13:43 #256170 by __
Replied by __ on topic What SPORTS are you following?
Happy YED !

More
22 Oct 2017 14:07 #256172 by Mr. White

Black Barney wrote: What’s going on there? Was that called safe?

Third baseman threw to home in the only spot that would have caused an out. The catcher is both catching this ball and tagging the player at the same time. Ball lands pretty much anywhere else...Yankee is safe. Not sure if the toss landed there by design, but it was exactly what the Astros needed to prevent a rally.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
22 Oct 2017 15:56 #256177 by metalface13
Also looks like a possible broken wrist!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
22 Oct 2017 18:49 #256179 by san il defanso
I'm Astros all the way for this Series. I'm always a fan of a new team winning the World Series.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
07 Oct 2018 18:56 #282815 by san il defanso
The Cleveland Browns have already won two games this season, and I am beyond happy. Is this what it's like to believe your team can win any game? Because it's weird.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hadik

More
07 Oct 2018 21:16 #282816 by Hadik
I have not yet made the shift to happy. The only reason Baker Mayfield hasn’t already spontaneously combusted is the “Fortuna’s Wheel” of Cleveland sports: the Indians are going down tomorrow and the Cavs lost LeBron.

The Browns’ defense though! Apart from last week they’ve been amazing. They’re my fantasy football defense and they have treated me pretty well.

More
08 Oct 2018 07:06 #282823 by Msample
A lot of people thought they reached by drafting Denzel Ward, but the kid has been an absolute stud.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.413 seconds