October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2655 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching ARCHIVE

More
06 Jun 2011 15:36 #97493 by Black Barney
Hot:
Daily Show (always good and relevant)

Good New Entertainment:
Nothing.

Reliable Quality:
Criminal Minds - this show is way too addictive

Waiting for the New Season:
Walking Dead

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2011 15:45 #97495 by Ska_baron
Replied by Ska_baron on topic Re: TV Watch - June 2011
HOT:
Top Chef Masters (catching up)

GOOD NEW:
Happy Endings (came out of nowhere and is great comedy - at least for my wife and me)
Drew Carey's Improv-a-ganza (similar, but better than Whose Line - it's in Vegas I think and shows on GSN not ABC)

RELIABLE:
Colbert Report, Modern Family, The Middle

WAITING ON:
Walking Dead
Top Chef

More
06 Jun 2011 16:00 #97498 by Black Barney
i find Colbert Report to be highly UNreliable. Sometimes it's SOOO good and sometimes it's just meh or even annoying almost

More
06 Jun 2011 16:06 #97501 by Ska_baron
Replied by Ska_baron on topic Re: TV Watch - June 2011
That would be because you're a flaming lib, BB. Colbert > Stewart long ago.

Not to start a political humor flamewar, but I really do think Stewart got way to transparent with his personal political bend. Colbert on the other hand keeps in character at all times and is better able to skewer everyone. Stewart does have his funny moments and bits, but as a character - I prefer the over the top Colbert hands down.

More
06 Jun 2011 16:25 #97504 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Re: TV Watch - June 2011
Hot

Dr Who

More
06 Jun 2011 17:20 #97506 by san il defanso
Hot:
Parks and Recreation - Just started watching this, and I'm loving it.

Good New (to me) Entertainment:

Fringe - When it's on, it's ON.

Reliable:
Arrested Development
Lost (doing a rewatch on my blog)

Waiting On:
The new season of Doctor Who on Netflix Instant Watch

More
06 Jun 2011 18:07 #97508 by Black Barney

Ska_baron wrote: That would be because you're a flaming lib, BB. Colbert > Stewart long ago.

Not to start a political humor flamewar, but I really do think Stewart got way to transparent with his personal political bend. Colbert on the other hand keeps in character at all times and is better able to skewer everyone. Stewart does have his funny moments and bits, but as a character - I prefer the over the top Colbert hands down.

Maybe that's why I prefer Stewart then. He's not hiding at all his agenda. His views are super transparent. But because Colbert is using a character and heavy satire, he's been very clever in mocking O'Reilly and the sorts. O'Reilly really hates Colbert but likes Stewart. I think it's just cuz he has an ego tho and doesn't like Colbert makin' fun of him whereas Stewart is an accessible liberal.

I dunno, when Stewart has something important to say, it's pretty gripping sometimes. But in terms of who makes fun of things better, you're right that Colbert wears that costume better.

More
06 Jun 2011 22:28 #97521 by Black Barney
btw, with Weiner admitting today that he did indeed tweet those pics of his penis in his underwear, I do believe I'll be wanting to watch Daily Show tonight since Stewart's been saying it's obviously not him cuz he's not that well hung. Should be a fun show.

More
07 Jun 2011 00:07 #97527 by Mr Skeletor
BRILLIANT
Game of thrones. It's just so fucking good.

ENJOYABLE
Buffy season 2. Up to the eps where angel turns. Like the characters, though this show is corny as hell and clunks compared to modern stuff like true blood. I'm starting to see why people dislike the actual character of Buffy, she's becoming the template for emo.

ON THE FENCE
Dr Who. Better season than last but I'm getting WAY over the complicated time bending shit. I prefer who when it never crossed timelines. Bring back RTD.

More
07 Jun 2011 00:57 #97530 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re: TV Watch - June 2011
HOT: Game of Thrones

Trashy fix: The Tutors - Fills my Spartacus void

AMC Drama fix: The Killing

News: The Daily Show

More
16 Apr 2012 00:52 #122959 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I watched all of Season 1 of Falling Skies over the last week. It surprises me that there has been pretty much zero discussion of it here, as it is where I normally get my info on current genre tv (I only was alerted to it by a facebook friend getting excited by season 2 coming soon). Its not bad, probably a middle ground 7. I give it an 8 though, just because anything with mechs in it gets a bonus point from me. It doesn't have the strong sense of plot or character of my favourite post apocalyptic show Jericho (I don't know why that doesn't get Firefly or Lost-like adulation), but it is enjoyable.

More
16 Apr 2012 04:55 #122966 by metalface13
Supernatural Season 6: Finished watching it last night. Not my favorite season, by far, but I did like the twist in the last episodes, much better than the rest of the season.

Black Adder: One of the Brit comedy classics I've missed out on after all these years. That and Benny Hill. Not sure I have any desire for Benny Hill though. The Victorian era Black Adder was my least favorite. I probably liked the WWI and the Medieval seasons the best. I'm not a big Mr. Bean fan, glad Black Adder is much, much different.

Black Books: A more recent British sitcom. A miserable, drunken Irish bookstore owner and his chipper hippy-ish assistant and neurotic friend.

Merlin: My guilty pleasure. Every episode is "Merlin secretly uses magic, but almost gets caught. Then Merlin secretly saves the day!" Uther doesn't die until Season 4? Sheesh. This show seriously needs Knights of the Round table and be more of a medieval teen soap opera. Still, it's enjoyable enough, mainly because the production values feel very Buffy.

Other stuff I've watched: Downton Abbey, Stephen Fry in America (he goes to my hometown in Iowa!), Kingdom (mostly my wife watching with my catching a few episodes), Eureka (ditto), and just started watching The Killing which reminds me of Twin Peaks but without all the supernatural zaniness.

More
16 Apr 2012 12:05 - 16 Apr 2012 13:38 #122972 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Re: TV Watch - June 2011

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: I watched all of Season 1 of Falling Skies over the last week. It surprises me that there has been pretty much zero discussion of it here, as it is where I normally get my info on current genre tv (I only was alerted to it by a facebook friend getting excited by season 2 coming soon). Its not bad, probably a middle ground 7. I give it an 8 though, just because anything with mechs in it gets a bonus point from me. It doesn't have the strong sense of plot or character of my favourite post apocalyptic show Jericho (I don't know why that doesn't get Firefly or Lost-like adulation), but it is enjoyable.

I think you must have lost your marbles.

There is next to no character development. Sterotypical characters abound. Its a vehicle for that guy from ER to earn a bit of easy cash. Its infused with absurd religious morality. No one actually uses real language because its not on HBO. It is saccharine sugar coated SF. I watched the entire season and I wish I could have the time back.

The military strategies used are ridiculous (who fucking snipes from an exposed position?). All out frontal attacks are the order of the day. Plot makes no sense (where there is one). What the hell are aliens uses kids as slaves for? Oh yeah...to bring tears to my eyes.

The hoary 'Well, I'm a history teacher and throughout history the good guys have always won by doing <insert childish tactic>'. Give me a fucking break.

Mechs?? Meh

Jericho was leagues better than this trash
Last edit: 16 Apr 2012 13:38 by ThirstyMan.

More
16 Apr 2012 13:55 #122981 by san il defanso
I've been getting into 30 Rock. My experience has gone from mild enjoyment to actually laughing out loud at things, even by myself. And I'm just 8 episodes through.

More
16 Apr 2012 17:04 #123000 by metalface13

San Il Defanso wrote: I've been getting into 30 Rock. My experience has gone from mild enjoyment to actually laughing out loud at things, even by myself. And I'm just 8 episodes through.

The second season gets much better than the first.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.281 seconds