October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Star Wars...

More
19 Oct 2017 21:18 - 19 Oct 2017 21:21 #256021 by Mr. White
Star Wars... was created by Mr. White
I don't have a good name for this thread. It's pretty negative, so probably shouldn't be typed up, but...eh...it's on my mind.

It's no secret that I'm not really much of a Star Wars fan. I like A New Hope a lot, and the OT as a whole is ok. The prequels didn't offend me nearly as much as Force Awakens did because they at least told a new story. Rogue One was cool. The whole affair though seems to be simply strung out to sell various flavors of storm/clone trooper toys though as each movie rolls out a different look for the shelves.

Star Wars fans though...

I think that's sort of what put me off the saga as a whole. The vile they spit at Lucas simply for taking the movies in a direction they didn't prefer was/is irrational. Particularly, the nasty comments on appearance and such. Stuff that has nothing to do with his film-making. It's low.

What I don't get though...is what the hell is going on with these flying hamsters.

Why did this make Lucas the devil:

but this is getting praise and adoration:

Bad enough that we continue to see familiar material in these post-OT films, but fandom seems hypocritical toward Lucas' work vs the cheap copy drivel that Disney seems to churn out.
Last edit: 19 Oct 2017 21:21 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2017 21:30 #256022 by bfkiller
Replied by bfkiller on topic Star Wars...
I think that alien is just just going through a meme period. I'm sure there will be / is backlash that Disney dare put something cute and whimsical in a Star Wars movie. I haven't paid any attention to Internet reaction to know what people think of it and don't plan to.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Colorcrayons

More
19 Oct 2017 22:44 #256028 by Feelitmon
Replied by Feelitmon on topic Star Wars...
I'm with you, definitely. That said, we'll have to wait and see if these new guys are able to take out an entire legion of Snoke's best troops with rocks and sticks. If they do then I imagine that they'll get a lot of hate.

More
19 Oct 2017 23:26 #256030 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Star Wars...
That still gets me: The Dark Lord Snoke. Snoke.

After Darth Vader, Grand Moff Tarkin, Emperor Palpatine, Darth Maul, Darth Sidious, Darth Tyranus, and General Grievous, the best they can do is Snoke? Was that the day that the screenwriting committee invited in the guys from SpongeBob?
The following user(s) said Thank You: DukeofChutney

More
20 Oct 2017 02:32 #256033 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Star Wars...
"Dark Lord Bonghit" didn't get past the focus group.

I notice you didn't mention Count Dookie in your list of awesome villain names either.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, ThirstyMan

More
20 Oct 2017 08:41 #256041 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Star Wars...
Everyone here knows my deal, so I won't go into detail. I still love the original 1977 movie, which was called "Star Wars". I can leave most of the rest. I enjoyed Rogue One, as it was what I was wanting ever since the end of the Hoth battle in ESB.

I'm not interested in the Jedi and don't know why anyone in that universe would want them back. I am absolutely not interested in the Skywalker family and don't care about the fall and "redemption" of Darth Vader. I found Force Awakens disappointing because the new characters weren't given anything interesting to do except rehash the adventures of the old characters, instead of starting a fresh story. For me the original movie feels like a fun idea that's now been run through the copy machine so many times it's faded and blurry.

I'll see TLJ I'm sure, mostly out of inertia, and Solo for the same reason.

But it's okay. I mean, I'm 50 years old. No one cares whether or not I'm into it, and I can watch the original movie any time I want. Other folks are jazzed and that's great. I didn't care for ewoks when I was a kid not because they were dumb in and of themselves but because ROTJ as a whole was such a disappointment. But I survived.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
20 Oct 2017 09:13 #256047 by Jackwraith

Not Sure wrote: "Dark Lord Bonghit" didn't get past the focus group.

I notice you didn't mention Count Dookie in your list of awesome villain names either.

To be honest, i didn't remember that one. I had to go look up the fact that Dooku was the actual name of Tyranus. No idea why I remember the latter and not the former. Probably because it's "awesome".

More
20 Oct 2017 09:42 #256054 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Star Wars...
Meh.

More
20 Oct 2017 09:47 #256055 by ufe20
Replied by ufe20 on topic Star Wars...

Jackwraith wrote: Darth Sidious, Darth Tyranus, and General Grievous

Bro, all these names are hot garbage.

The new cutsie poo alien is a little over the top, but Star Wars has always been for kids. Then again, I'm firmly on the Force Awakens > Rogue One side of the fence. I'll take a competent retelling of the OT with fun, new characters over a "dark and edgy" movie with boring characters who's names I can't even remember.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, Josh Look

More
20 Oct 2017 09:55 #256056 by the_jake_1973
Replied by the_jake_1973 on topic Star Wars...
A cloistered stormtrooper trying to impress a girl and says 'Droid. please', to BB put me off the last Jedi movie. I would also put forth that the BBEG names were so in the money as to be ridiculous. Grievous, Tyranus, Sidious. Those are names that would be used by a subpar GM for the evil dude.

More
20 Oct 2017 09:56 - 20 Oct 2017 10:02 #256057 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Star Wars...

ufe20 wrote:

The new cutsie poo alien is a little over the top, but Star Wars has always been for kids. Then again, I'm firmly on the Force Awakens > Rogue One side of the fence. I'll take a competent retelling of the OT with fun, new characters over a "dark and edgy" movie with boring characters who's names I can't even remember.

This is true. Kid stuff is all over and I'm fine with it. I also don't have hatred for Jar Jar (though I'm not sure why they took him with them off Naboo) and see the fun kids have watching him. I guess I'm just a bit irked seeing all the hatred Lucas got, but cute crap like BB8 and these penguins are loved by Star Wars fans...particularly while both are just flimsy copies of Lucas style creations.

EDIT: yeah. "Droid, Please" is the worse line in SW, IMHO.

EDIT. EDIT: Professing that I'm not much a SW fan, does make one wonder why I even go see them or care what's going on. It's probably because I have a 10 year old son who rightfully wants to see these every year. So, I'll be going along. I don't run the films down to him, that's dumb, and I think I do enjoy them a bit more than the Marvel films at this point. Still, since I'll probably be seeing one of these a year for the rest of my life (if Disney has its way)...seems relevant to talk about.
Last edit: 20 Oct 2017 10:02 by Mr. White.

More
20 Oct 2017 10:10 #256061 by ufe20
Replied by ufe20 on topic Star Wars...
I'll agree that while the "Lucas raped my childhood" level of hyperbole is unwarranted, the man had no business directing the prequels. From some accounts, it seems that A New Hope was saved in editing and he didn't direct Empire or Jedi. Why he didn't just give other people the prequel movies while he sat back as a creative consultant and rake in the money I'll never know.

More
20 Oct 2017 10:24 - 20 Oct 2017 10:25 #256063 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Star Wars...

ufe20 wrote: I'll agree that while the "Lucas raped my childhood" level of hyperbole is unwarranted, the man had no business directing the prequels. From some accounts, it seems that A New Hope was saved in editing and he didn't direct Empire or Jedi. Why he didn't just give other people the prequel movies while he sat back as a creative consultant and rake in the money I'll never know.

I believe the word you're looking for is "ego".

The best writing for Star Wars has been in the animated series. Those are the people that should be writing the film screenplays, especially if they're going to expand the stories down two or three sets of characters simultaneously. That seems to be the business model for blockbusters now.
Last edit: 20 Oct 2017 10:25 by Sagrilarus.

More
20 Oct 2017 15:44 #256091 by Jackwraith

ufe20 wrote:

I didn't say they were good. I meant they're at least better than Snoke. Yes, Sidious and Grievous are just as obvious as "Dark Raider." It's not the like the writing on Star Wars has ever been worthwhile. But those ham-handed names at least sound evil. What the fuck is a "Snoke"?

More
20 Oct 2017 16:04 #256094 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Star Wars...
does anyone get the feeling that Snoke will end up being SUPER small in size and that his hologram is super big to make him look more menacing? This way Disney introduces another 'cute' character?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.757 seconds