October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MUSIC are you listening to? ARCHIVE

More
30 Apr 2014 19:08 #177069 by Josh Look
Sparta really is terrible. I saw them open for Weezer, of all bands. I ended up walking out to where they had this little side stage set up and I watched two _phenomenal_ bands, both of them ones I'd never heard of and both of which are now long gone.

I can't quite say I like Mars Volta, either, as "De-Loused" is really the only record by them that I like. Knowing your tastes though, I totally see why you don't like it.
The topic has been locked.
More
03 May 2014 17:22 - 03 May 2014 19:28 #177351 by OldHippy
I've been listening to this song Elephant from Jason Isbell over and over again. Maybe 20 times today alone just trying to figure out why it's so damn good. I've cried more times than I can keep track of listening to this and today, while reading the lyrics to my wife I started crying again. I just can't hold it back.

This song is about a friend who is dying of Cancer. It's a portrait of the songwriter and the cancer patient hanging out together and they never talk about the Cancer itself, which is why the song is called Elephant as they are trying to ignore the elephant in the room. But the song does the same thing, it never says "she has cancer" it talks about smaller details.. the song is also trying to ignore the elephant in the room. It's a marvellous bit of writing and really shakes me to my core every time I listen to it. The whole album is excellent but this song really stand out as his masterpiece.

... and here's the lyrics for those who like to follow along;

She said Andy you're better than your past,
winked at me and drained her glass,
cross-legged on the barstool, like nobody sits anymore.
She said Andy you're taking me home,
but I knew she planned to sleep alone.
I'd carry her to bed and sweep up the hair from the floor

If I had fucked her before she got sick
I'd never hear the end of it
she don't have the spirit for that now

We drink these drinks and laugh out loud,
bitch about the weekend crowd,
and try to ignore the elephant somehow
somehow

She said Andy you crack me up,
Seagrams in a coffee cup,
sharecropper eyes and her hair almost all gone.
When she was drunk she made cancer jokes,
she made up her own doctor's notes,
surrounded by her family, I saw that she was dying alone.

I'd sing her classic country songs
and she'd get high and sing along.
She don't have much voice to sing with now

We'd burn these joints in effegy,
cry about what we used to be,
and try to ignore the elephant somehow.
Somehow

I buried her a thousand times,
giving up my place in line,
but I don't give a damn about that now

There's one thing that's real clear to me,
no one dies with dignity.
We just try to ignore the elephant somehow.
Somehow.
Somehow.
Last edit: 03 May 2014 19:28 by OldHippy.
More
05 May 2014 09:24 - 05 May 2014 09:25 #177417 by Columbob
After breaking up The Mars Volta last year, Cedric and Omar teamed up with Flea in a new venture - Antemasque. This time around he tuned down his voice to his AtDI tone rather than the MV screech. Less jamming and all-over the place hecticness than MV.
Last edit: 05 May 2014 09:25 by Columbob.
More
10 May 2014 20:51 #177863 by OldHippy
So listening to that Jason Isbell album "Southeastern" led me to pick up John Murry's new album "The Graceless Age" it's an incredible album, probably even better than the Isbell album and really solid all the way through. The album stands up best as a whole but single cuts still resonate. Here's a nice tune from the disc where he gives a solid interview afterwards talking about why it took him so long to record the next one and what the Heroin addiction did to him.

More
24 May 2014 07:01 #178805 by Hex Sinister
S l o w d i v e !!!

More
24 May 2014 20:15 #178834 by Black Barney
I like this HOZIER band. I'm not nuts about their most popular single, Take Me to Church, but there's this other song they do, From Eden, which I totally love.
More
18 Jun 2014 10:05 #180732 by san il defanso
Been listening to a lot of the new Jack White album, Lazaretto. And by a lot, I mean all of it over and over again.

More
27 Jun 2014 09:17 #181247 by Legomancer
There's a band from the 80s that I'm a huge fan of and have always assumed (based on experience) that no one else is: Shriekback. Those what know them usually know a couple of their sons ("Nemesis", "My Spine (is the Bassline)") and don't really wonder what happened to them or think of them at all. Me, I've followed them into the present, and been glad for it.

The main member is Barry Andrews, who lately has been doing some blogging about the early days of himself and the band, and shedding a lot of interesting light on the early-80s postpunk scene (Andrews played with XTC, Dave Allen with Gang of Four) and I've been finding the material really interesting, and not just for fans like me.

I did a MetaFilter post about this and got a lot of cool responses from folks in it. Some of you guys might find it interesting as well.
More
27 Jun 2014 11:22 #181260 by Michael Barnes
The only band in the history of the world to use the word "parthenogenesis" as a song lyric.

I've always kind of liked Shriekback mostly for the singles but I've never gone too far into the discography. Maybe if I can take a break from the Summer of Chrome...

But then there's also this new Craig Leon reissue I really want hear...
More
27 Jun 2014 11:32 #181264 by repoman
I listened to Frank Sinatra this morning.

Guy's got a pretty good voice. I think he may have a future ahead of him in the music industry.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso
More
04 Jul 2014 09:40 #181599 by OldHippy
Sturgill Simpson's Metamusic Sounds in Country Music. Great record. I first heard him from this single from his first album. Where he is the self proclaimed King Turd on Shit Mountain.

Great song! The opening line is:

"Well I been spending all my money on weed and pills
Trying to write a song that'll pay the bills
But it ain't came yet, guess I'll have to rob a bank."

- that is some slick reasoning.

More
04 Jul 2014 10:41 #181600 by SuperflyPete

'Murica. Fuck Yeah.
More
21 Oct 2014 20:01 #189067 by Josh Look
Been listening to a couple of odd bands from the 90s that I really like that I tend to forget about.

I put "You'd Prefer an Astronaut" by Hum on last night. I always thought of them of being somewhere between early Smashing Pumpkins and Weezer, but I was caught off guard by just how 90's this album sounds now. Still some great tunes on it though. I'm not sure if I'd call this the best on the album, but this was the single.

Tonight I dug into the first two Sunny Day Real Estate albums. Some of my favorite music ever, I certainly need to listen to these guys more than I do. This live version of "Seven" is pretty fucking incredible.

The following user(s) said Thank You: evilgit
More
21 Oct 2014 22:56 - 21 Oct 2014 22:56 #189071 by Chapel
Someone today told me I was the spitting image of Com Truise. I had never heard of him, but following the rabbit hole I learned of this genre called Outrun music. And have been listening it all day.

outruneuropa.bandcamp.com/

Last edit: 21 Oct 2014 22:56 by Chapel.
More
22 Oct 2014 09:05 #189078 by Legomancer
Oh man, Hum. I was living in Champaign-Urbana, where the band is from, when that came out, so the local radio station would take a break from Pearl Jam every 20 minutes to play "Stars". This is that song to me:

She says she missed the train to Mars
She's out back counting stars
CHUNGA CHUNGA CHUNGA CHUNGA CHUNGA CHUNGA CHUNGA
(repeat 37 times)

That whole era, the post-Nirvana grunge goldrush is so dated now. Every song sounds like a bucket of mud stirred with a guitar.

Anyhow, I bought the new album by Zammuto, "Anchor". Zammuto is the band(?) from Nick Zammuto, co-founder of The Books. He's interested in weird instrumentation, found audio (not so much as in The Books), and other stuff, but it's not just noise. He keeps it very organic and alive. The Zammutostuff is less acoustic than the Books stuff, and I've been digging it.

This is "Great Equator" from the new album.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.438 seconds