October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
07 Jun 2017 08:40 #249533 by Black Barney
Indian movies can really shoot out the lights sometimes. AMAL was one of the two best movies of the previous decade. I've never seen anything make such a strong case that less money makes you happier.

I'm pretty sure it would have been one of these white whales that would have gotten the double 5 star rating. For sure Heart, I'm pretty sure brain too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2017 11:15 #249543 by Colorcrayons

Egg Shen wrote: So I um, stumbled upon some cinematic gold the other day on Netflix. I've never really dove into the deep end of Bollywood films, but after watching Makkhi the other night I might have to reconsider! Holy goddamn shit was this movie entertaining. Let me whet you're whistle with its plot:

Two guys love the same girl. One guy KILLS the other. Not wanting to go out like a punk ass bitch, dead guy comes back to life as a MOTHER FUCKING HOUSE FLY. The rest of the movie plays out like a revenge film. There is occasionally singing and dancing. And a tiny house fly that is trying to murder a grown ass man.

I talk about it a bit more over at the Wolfman's Lounge.

If you're a lover of truly insane and ridiculous cinema this should be on your radar. Don't be afraid of subtitles, you'll be missing out on a movie that Black Barney wants to give a 5 heart and 5 brain rating to.

Bollywood rarely disappoints, and this movie is one of the must sees.

More
07 Jun 2017 11:40 #249548 by Matt Thrower

Vlad wrote:

Black Barney wrote: I rewatched Moonlight over the weekend for a 2nd time, really really strong still.

How many times will you force yourself to watch this movie until you admit it is insufferably boring? I bet that deep in your heart you actually know it is unwatchable...

I had an odd reaction to Moonlight. For the first part of the film, I just didn't care. I had no emotional investment in the characters at all. The kid is just too quiet and the grown up is a drug dealer: it's not the most endearing cast you can imagine. And then it went and skipped over maybe the most interesting dramatic moment in the whole movie, when the kid confronts the dealer about selling to his mother.

The emotional payoff came in the second and third acts: they were much better. And I loved the cinematography and the choice of music, both of which were unusual and very smart. But a film like this lives and dies on the audience forging an emotional connection with the protagonists, and it took too long to do that.

Back to it being boring: part of the problem is that even though it's not long, it feels overlong. There were bits of the film, especially during that first act, that didn't seem like the added much. With a bit more judicious editing it could have been brilliant - and less boring.

More
07 Jun 2017 11:45 #249550 by Black Barney
some of the moments in the first act where Little is eating quietly and being non-responsive I found were really important in sort of understanding him, and especially his world/environment. Especially when the dealer takes him to a restaurant and jokingly threatens to take away his food for a second. Little be all, "am I getting let down yet once again by someone in my life?"

glad you appreciated the cinematography, pretty intense

More
07 Jun 2017 11:56 - 07 Jun 2017 12:09 #249552 by Grudunza
Just watched The Matrix (on Amazon Prime now). I'd seen it way back when, and I think I was tired and falling asleep that first time because it really didn't impact me and I remembered almost nothing of it. But this time, whoa, what a brilliant film on so many levels. Still holds up incredibly well, and while some of the action stuff has since become over-used (I just saw the stop-turn thing done yet again in Wonder Woman), this was the genesis for that, and still has more effect for working within its context so well.

Thematically, it is practically a love letter to the formerly-religious community; those of us who took the red pills out of our beliefs. But the funny thing is that this was one of my wife's (a devout Mormon all her life) favorite films, because she liked the Christ/Neo aspect of it. I suppose to believers, the Matrix and its agents are the non-believers. I think it works better the other way, but like most great art, you'll see what you want in it with your confirmation bias.

My question to y'all is that I've heard the sequels are shit. Are they worth checking out, at least? I'm content to just leave it at this one if it's more of the same, but if there's something great about the sequels then I suppose I'll take a gander at some point.
Last edit: 07 Jun 2017 12:09 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
07 Jun 2017 12:04 #249554 by charlest
They're shit. Leave them alone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Grudunza, Msample, Black Barney, Colorcrayons, Gregarius

More
07 Jun 2017 12:06 #249555 by Egg Shen

hotseatgames wrote:

Egg Shen wrote: Two guys love the same girl. One guy KILLS the other. Not wanting to go out like a punk ass bitch, dead guy comes back to life as a MOTHER FUCKING HOUSE FLY. The rest of the movie plays out like a revenge film. There is occasionally singing and dancing. And a tiny house fly that is trying to murder a grown ass man.

Hindus believe that when it comes to reincarnation, the lowest of the low come back as bugs. So apparently the afterlife doesn't think kindly of this guy.

Trust me, this thought totally came across my mind while I was watching the film. I think it's safe to assume that while being a super nice guy while trying to woo the main girl, he was a complete dick to the world offscreen....

Also Barney, this is the main love interest of Makkhi:

I know you can't resist. Watch it...I wanna see a review on the front page of the Fort by next Wednesday!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
07 Jun 2017 12:13 #249556 by charlest
This past weekend I watched Logan and Split.

Split was basically the best super villain origins movie ever filmed (James Mcavoy was exceptional), and Logan was perhaps the best super hero movie ever filmed. Really dug it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
07 Jun 2017 12:35 #249559 by Sagrilarus

cranberries wrote: My wife wanted to see Wonder Woman and afterwards said it was the best superhero movie in the history of cinema. I liked it.

I saw this with my wife last night and her assessment as the credits rolled was "hokey". I thought the same thing but wanted her impression first, since it's a female lead and a female director. In spite of that we were in agreement.

Solid eye candy though, especially for a legs man such as myself. But some parts were pretty cringeworthy, including her arbitrary jump into the London sky at the end of the film. Kind of sent it off with a groan. Loved the music at the end, can't imagine it was real trombones popping notes that quickly though.

I'll bring it up on Netflix when it comes out. Worth a second look at no additional charge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
07 Jun 2017 13:06 #249563 by stormseeker75

charlest wrote: This past weekend I watched Logan and Split.

Split was basically the best super villain origins movie ever filmed (James Mcavoy was exceptional), and Logan was perhaps the best super hero movie ever filmed. Really dug it.

As did I. Agree on both points. Split was phenomal, mostly due to McAvoy. Can't wait for part 3 which is coming in 2019

Logan was Dark Knight levels of good.

More
07 Jun 2017 13:10 #249564 by RobertB
Grudunza wrote:

My question to y'all is that I've heard the sequels are shit. Are they worth checking out, at least? I'm content to just leave it at this one if it's more of the same, but if there's something great about the sequels then I suppose I'll take a gander at some point.

I'll back charlest on that. If you stop at the first one, you're good. If you watch the second, you'll have to watch the third, and you'll regret it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75, charlest

More
07 Jun 2017 13:50 #249567 by Black Barney
Egg, is that Kendell Jenner?

More
07 Jun 2017 14:09 #249570 by JEM
I think there's a lot to enjoy in the Matrix sequels, but you have to be willing to delve into the Wachowskis' philosophy to get through the admittedly turgid third movie.

As pieces of cinema, they are worth more than a derisory summation of "shit."

More
07 Jun 2017 14:31 #249571 by charlest

JEM wrote: As pieces of cinema, they are worth more than a derisory summation of "shit."

That's a good point. However, I still suggest they be avoided unless you have nothing better to watch, which seems almost impossible. So many good films out there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, Black Barney, JEM

More
07 Jun 2017 14:40 #249573 by Black Barney
yeah, exactly what chalest said. There's much better movies to see.

The 2nd Matrix is pretty decent and probably worth watching, but yeah the 3rd one really is just shit. It's not good at all.

It would be better to watch that collection of short-films (most of them animated I think) on The Matrix. I forget what it was called but I did enjoy that quite a bit.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.166 seconds