October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
17 Jul 2017 11:19 #251248 by hotseatgames
I bought a blu-ray that has 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later, so I recently re-watched them both. I have had 28 Days Later on DVD forever, as it's one of my favorite movies, but it was damaged in a flood a few years ago so I wanted a new copy. I had only seen 28 Weeks Later once before, and at the time I thought "man, this is how all sequels should be". It is a great movie in its own right and fits along with the first film's plot.

Both movies still hold up. The second movie... I didn't remember just how violent it is. There is some cringe-inducing stuff in there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2017 11:24 #251249 by Black Barney
Yeah the wife's death is no picnic

Helicopter blades as weapon was cool tho

I just rewatched 28 Weeks Later last week. It has lots of great moments and a bunch of dumb stuff too. It's all over the place. Really good overall but lacks the novelty and magic of the first one

Was it the first fast zombies movie?

More
17 Jul 2017 12:14 #251257 by SuperflyPete
I saw Wonder Woman and realized that both D.C. and Zak Snyder could fuck up a free lunch.

YES. It was entertaining.

BUT...

I didn't know Chris Pine was in it, let alone the actual star of the film. He has far more lines than Wonder Woman. It's literally an origins story film that emphasizes the world's events at the time over the purported main character.

The stranger in a strange land aspect works, but the fawning media of showing Wonder Woman as some sort of allegory for women's empowerment fails to address the fact that for almost all of all three acts, she is being bossed around by EVERYONE. First her mother. Then Chris Pine. Then Ares to a degree.

The "big fight then finishing move" formula in all superhero movies except Watchmen is fucking TIIIIIIRED. Christ almighty.

More
17 Jul 2017 12:15 #251259 by SuperflyPete

Black Barney wrote: Yeah the wife's death is no picnic

Helicopter blades as weapon was cool tho

I just rewatched 28 Weeks Later last week. It has lots of great moments and a bunch of dumb stuff too. It's all over the place. Really good overall but lacks the novelty and magic of the first one

Was it the first fast zombies movie?

28 days later was prior to that, as was the Crazies, and I think the Grindhouse one was before it too.

More
17 Jul 2017 12:19 #251260 by Black Barney
yeah sorry i meant 28 Days Later. I think that was the first fast zombies movie. It was before the remake of Dawn of the Dead (which did it stupidly). They were scary AF in 28 Days Later.

More
17 Jul 2017 17:33 #251282 by Erik Twice
I saw This Movie is not Yet Rated a movie about how movies are rated in the United States and the effects it has.

This film has a fantastic ssubject matter, but is kind of a mess execution-wise. Notably it spends more time chasing the cars of the people that give movie ratings than actually covering those ratings. So a lot of very interesting stuff is only covered lighty:

- Non-rated films not being economically viable
- Women enjoying sex being seen as worse than men doing so
- Lack of accountability
- Myth of "average family"

Ultimately, it was fun, but not great.

More
17 Jul 2017 23:25 #251296 by Not Sure
I saw that a few years ago, and it definitely stuck with me. There was certainly some amateur sleuthing that didn't really need to make the final cut. the things it dug up, like this "random" panel having two neighbors on it was certainly some bullshit.

It's definitely worth watching to see just how few people (and their particular sex-vs-violence hangups) shape every single movie of any significant size made.

More
18 Jul 2017 08:57 #251308 by Mr. White
There were fast zombies almost 20 years prior to 28 Days Later.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, OldHippy

More
18 Jul 2017 09:18 - 18 Jul 2017 09:21 #251311 by Mr. White
I watched that live action Beauty and the Beast flick with the kids...I was pleasantly surprised!

Beauty and the Beast sort of lays in a sentimental place for me as the Disney classic was the last movie I recall seeing in the theater just my mom and I. This live action film takes mostly from that and songs from what I assume was a Broadway version I've never seen. Anyway, I'm not sure it's essential viewing, but Luke Evans straight up killed his role as Gaston. I put this performance up there with Daniel Day Lewis' Bill the Butcher and Ben Foster's Charlie Prince as my favorite villain performances in recent cinema. I would watch again for Gaston's screen time. Ewan McGregor also lit up the screen as the candelabra-man. I had no idea who it was until the end credits. Great job.
Last edit: 18 Jul 2017 09:21 by Mr. White.

More
18 Jul 2017 09:57 #251313 by charlest

Mr. White wrote: Ben Foster's Charlie Prince

I'm a huge Ben Foster fan but I do not like him in that role/character at all. Thought it was the weakest part of the film. Interesting that you mentioned that though, maybe I need to rewatch it.

More
18 Jul 2017 10:16 #251314 by Mr. White
I enjoy the 3:20 to Yuma remake quite a bit and think there are strong performances all around, so perhaps that colors my view?

Anyway, I just realized Gangs of New York and 3:10 to Yuma are 15 and 10yrs old respectively...maybe they aren't _recent_ cinema.... :/

More
18 Jul 2017 10:30 - 18 Jul 2017 10:31 #251318 by Black Barney
I really like Ben Foster but he's entirely forgettable in 3:10 to Yuma. I'm surprised to see you say that, but then I see you are equating Luke Evans' Gaston with Daniel Day Lewis' Butcher and I see that you are entirely out to lunch.

But he did get a MTV Movie and TV Award nomnation for best duo with Josh Gad so I must be way off!

I think those are still recent cinema, White. Heck, I still consider Gladiator to be recent cinema. When my buddy talks about it, he puts it under "classic films" which is nuts to me.

Anyway, on Ben Foster, nothing comes close to his performance in Hell or High Water. That was insane. Hard to believe it was that guy from 30 Days of Night. Who was he in Prometheus? I don't remember him at all. And was he really the built dude in X-Men III who grows wings? It doesn't even look like him.
Last edit: 18 Jul 2017 10:31 by Black Barney.

More
18 Jul 2017 11:11 #251324 by Gregarius
I saw The Big Sick last night. It's really good. This is a romantic comedy where you don't want to simultaneously roll your eyes back into your head and stick your finger down your throat. It wasn't *quite* as funny as I was hoping it would be, but it's just an all-around good movie, with plenty of ups and downs. No cliches. There are times when you think it might get too sappy, but then it pulls back to reality.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
18 Jul 2017 11:29 #251327 by OldHippy

Gregarius wrote: I saw The Big Sick last night. It's really good. This is a romantic comedy where you don't want to simultaneously roll your eyes back into your head and stick your finger down your throat. It wasn't *quite* as funny as I was hoping it would be, but it's just an all-around good movie, with plenty of ups and downs. No cliches. There are times when you think it might get too sappy, but then it pulls back to reality.

I don't normally get interested in seeing Romantic Comedies but this one I am curious about. Kumail Nanjiani's first stand up record (Beta Male) was incredible. I highly recommend it.

More
19 Jul 2017 15:24 #251392 by Erik Twice

Not Sure wrote: I saw that a few years ago, and it definitely stuck with me. There was certainly some amateur sleuthing that didn't really need to make the final cut. the things it dug up, like this "random" panel having two neighbors on it was certainly some bullshit.

It's definitely worth watching to see just how few people (and their particular sex-vs-violence hangups) shape every single movie of any significant size made.

Oh yeah, that was inteersting. I guess I feel a bit dissapointed in that it kind of focuses on the panel not lliving up to its own standards when I think the problem comes from having any standards at all. That is, it's bad that they have a lot of hang-ups about sex and it explains a lot but what is really worrysome is how it is enforced and knowing it happens, not so much that they are hypocrites.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.439 seconds