October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
19 Aug 2017 09:50 #252657 by Black Barney
My girl really liked Boss Baby. I'm checking local elementary schools for any special needs programs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2017 17:04 #252675 by Cranberries

RobertB wrote: I saw AvP at the drive-in (yes, we have a drive-in). I figured it would suck, and I wasn't disappointed.

X-Men: Apocalypse - my daughter thought it was the awesomest movie ever, but then she thinks Star Wars 1-3 are good. I've failed as a parent.

I offended a relative when I asked why they bought a copy of the DVD and they explained that they really liked it, without reservation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
22 Aug 2017 11:32 #252876 by Sagrilarus
Tucker & Dale vs. Evil. It showed up on Netflix as a recommendation, we decided to watch the first ten minutes, ended up watching the whole thing. By the time we got to the end all four kids were sitting with us.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, Nodens

More
23 Aug 2017 08:40 #252931 by Pat II

Sagrilarus wrote: Tucker & Dale vs. Evil. It showed up on Netflix as a recommendation, we decided to watch the first ten minutes, ended up watching the whole thing. By the time we got to the end all four kids were sitting with us.

I watched this with my girls and we thought it was great.

More
23 Aug 2017 09:06 #252935 by Pat II
When it comes to my low brow I like the bar high. I watched Kuso last night and that did the trick. You definitely want to be in the right frame of mind for something like that, for sure.

More
23 Aug 2017 09:28 #252939 by hotseatgames
I thought that movie was terrible and predictable as hell.

More
23 Aug 2017 10:33 #252949 by Varys

cranberries wrote:

RobertB wrote: I saw AvP at the drive-in (yes, we have a drive-in). I figured it would suck, and I wasn't disappointed.

X-Men: Apocalypse - my daughter thought it was the awesomest movie ever, but then she thinks Star Wars 1-3 are good. I've failed as a parent.

I offended a relative when I asked why they bought a copy of the DVD and they explained that they really liked it, without reservation.

I fell asleep during the ending fight scenes in X-Men: Apocalypse, and I don't think I missed much. The Quicksilver scene was pretty much the only good part of that movie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
23 Aug 2017 22:02 #253015 by Shellhead
Having recently finished my slow and deliberate reading of Dune, I watched the cult classic Dune movie. I have seen it before, and never really liked it, but tried to see it with fresh eyes this time (along with fresh memories of the book).

For the first 90 minutes or so, David Lynch does an admirable job of hitting all the important concepts and plot points, and even some critical character beats. Dune is a big story that probably can't be told in less than three hours, but Lynch nearly pulled it off. In the final 45 minutes, the story goes off the rails while bolting through the rest of the plot at a rapid pace. At times, Lynch even resorts to pure exposition to deliver key information. Then there is a climactic duel and The End. As a movie, I found it to be a failure because it didn't successfully tell a complete story. I don't expect a movie to do a literal interpretation of a book, and it's reasonable to adapt even important parts of a story to make it work as a movie of less than three hours duration. But the movie should be able to stand as it's own thing and not expect readers to go read a book in order to understand the story.

Judging by his other work, especially the current season of Twin Peaks, it must have been particularly traumatic for Lynch to frantically cover so many plot points instead of wanking off at his own leisurely pace. I didn't enjoy his visual style, either. Performers that normally look good, like Virginia Madsen and Sean Young, looked drab and unappealing. I disliked the decision to depict the Ben Gesserit as bald space vampires while mentats were equipped with mutant bushy eyebrows. And some fine talent went to waste, especially Patrick Stewart and Max von Sydow. And the special effects are sometimes awfully cheesy, nearly as bad as in early Doctor Who. And yet Lynch manages to weave it all together into a distinctive vision, though not one that I enjoyed seeing. I also disliked the inserted concept of the weirding ways as a sonic attack, and the way the Baron exited the movie was frankly ludicrous.

Despite the many flaws, Dune delivers some searing and memorable moments, especially early on. I think it is worthy of its current status as a cult classic, and a must-see for any fan of the Dune books. Conversely, if someone has not read Dune, I would advise them to skip this movie.

More
24 Aug 2017 08:52 #253035 by Grudunza
Logan Lucky is fun. Starts slow, and it was hard to understand the Southern accents in the theater I was in, but once it hits its stride it has the same kind of vibe and clever heist stuff as the Oceans films. Seems to be Soderbergh's bread and butter. As with many heist films, there are some things that work a little better than they probably would, but rolling along with that, it's very entertaining. And Daniel Craig is especially great in this. He will have a good post-Bond career.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
25 Aug 2017 11:25 #253126 by hotseatgames
Just watched the Netflix movie, Death Note. It is BAD, and fans of the anime will recoil at just how bad it is. Cramming that plot into 135 minutes results in a lot of shortcuts. There are many plot changes, which aren't bad, really. But the main character's "terrified" reactions are laughable, and not even Willem Dafoe as Ryuk can save this thing. Avoid.

More
26 Aug 2017 17:02 #253187 by Ancient_of_MuMu

Mad Dog wrote: I've seen Valerian twice now and enjoyed it both times. Yes, the two leads have no chemistry and bad dialogue. Every other thing about the movie is good to great though. All the aliens were interesting and/or fun. Big Market was a cool concept. Lots of good ideas and visuals in general. This will be as well regarded as The Fifth Element a decade from now when people pull the internet sticks out of their asses.

My exact thoughts too. Both leads suck, but everything else is near damn perfect and I loved it more than The Fifth Element. This is the best world building that has been done in a sci-fi film since Star Wars in 1977. There are scenes where you get a brief glimpse of something and you can see the detail and effort that went in to a 2 second shot that can convey so much depth and mystery. A perfect example is in the trailer we see Valerian with a gun that creates force field stepping stones for him as he runs across a large gap and then it runs out of charge and he falls and crashes through the roof of a building. I saw the trailer and just thought wow, what a cool concept, that is going to be his cool weapon he has a real fetish for, and they explain all the uses, and then he finds a few more fun things to do. But no, in the movie we pretty much get only those 2 shots. No explanation of what the gun is, why he has it, how it works, etc. It is just something really cool we only see for a few seconds. And that happens over and over in the film and it will be loved in 10 years time and people will be bewildered as to why it flopped.

More
26 Aug 2017 17:46 - 26 Aug 2017 17:47 #253188 by Black Barney
heck, I'm reading that post 10 seconds after you posted it and i'm already feeling bewildered
Last edit: 26 Aug 2017 17:47 by Black Barney. Reason: Ancient_of_PooPoo

More
26 Aug 2017 20:40 #253193 by Colorcrayons
I took the spawn to see Captain Underpants as one of many stops for his birthday today.

I think its the first movie we have seen where each person enjoyed it equally. Glad I did it. I hope they make more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Thrun

More
27 Aug 2017 00:51 #253196 by Disgustipater
Saw The Hitman's Bodyguard. It was a decent action movie. Basically what you expect, especially their banter: Ryan Reynolds making snarky comments and Sam Jackson being his calm, charming self. There was a ton of action. And I'm not usually one to care, but the profanity seemed gratuitous. Particularly in Salma Hayak's character, it felt pretty forced.

General rant time:

Almost all of the blood was CGI, and clearly CGI. It looked terrible. The same goes for the explosions. I guess it's cheaper and faster than using squibs or actually blowing things up. I never really considered practical effects going away on stuff like that, but I guess anything is at risk.

It makes me sad as a person in society that so many people are heartily laughing out loud at stuff that isn't funny. I feel my IQ dropping in real time. Maybe it is a minor joke, or something meant to be lighthearted, but it's not something you should be guffawing about. For example, Interpol asks the badass wife of the badass hitman where he is so they can protect him, and the badass wife starts laughing because he obviously doesn't need protection, and many people were laughing really hard. The worst offender was this (I'm going to be a judgy asshole) big fat woman carrying a large popcorn and colossal slurpee that was sitting in front of us. Not only laughing at that, but also clapping for more emphasis. wat. I liken them to Wal-Mart people. But I guess that's what I get for seeing a movie like that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Colorcrayons, Gregarius

More
27 Aug 2017 03:42 - 27 Aug 2017 03:43 #253197 by Erik Twice

hotseatgames wrote: Just watched the Netflix movie, Death Note. It is BAD, and fans of the anime will recoil at just how bad it is. Cramming that plot into 135 minutes results in a lot of shortcuts. There are many plot changes, which aren't bad, really. But the main character's "terrified" reactions are laughable, and not even Willem Dafoe as Ryuk can save this thing. Avoid.

It's made even worse when you remember that Ryuk thought that Light was signiificantly more despicable than him, a death god.

But yeah, ultimately I can't help but think this is one of those movies that only exist because people don't want to watch "perverted cartoons" and "can't relate to movies with asians on it". They surely didn't try to improve on the original work, that's for sure.

I remember seeing the original series with my mom back when it first came out. She liked it a lot but it was a bit weird for her. I'm glad I saw it as a teen as I think the over-the-top tone is more appealing at that age. Also, I probably overlooked the series' many flaws.
Last edit: 27 Aug 2017 03:43 by Erik Twice.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.723 seconds