Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 18 Sep 2017 12:52 #254424

Unicron wrote:
I don’t think I’ve ever seen an Aronofsky film that I wanted to see again, but as someone that watches about 400 movies every year, a film that's memorable is always preferable to the alternative.
Yeah, I'd say 49/50 movies are just forgettable. Even some that I considered decent. Some are so lackluster that I completely forgot I even viewed them and almost got re-queued! Films that you spend 4-5 days thinking about afterwards are so rare. These are the important ones because they affected you, somehow. Generally, for me, they tend to not be the more "fun" ones although there are certainly exceptions.
  • Hex Sinister
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 522
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Unicron

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 18 Sep 2017 14:20 #254428

Catching up:

Network is the shit.
I've seen Requiem for a Dream, The Wrestler, and The Fighter twice each; all of them because I wanted to see the lead performances (one of the leads in the case of Requiem) again. The most notable achievement of Aronofsky's films for me is that he succeeds in extracting the last ounce of talent from usually one actor on the set who puts the rest of the film in their respective orbit. That's what kinda fascinates me about them. But, yeah, I don't really go back for the films, as a whole.

I finally got around to seeing Triple 9 the other day. It was... OK. It was a stellar cast, but I wonder how many of them actually felt like what they were doing was worth their time or if they were just cashing paychecks? Winslet's role was monochromatic. Ejiofor's role was somewhere between linear and nonsensical. Affleck's role felt like it was tacked on to give him something to do, as it didn't develop in any direction. Paul was just rehashing Jesse from Breaking Bad. Harrelson was DEFINITELY just there cashing a paycheck, as he had scenes dropped in that basically were "Be what Woody Harrelson has been since Natural Born Killers, except for Friends with Benefits where you were the most stereotypical gay man ever imagined. OK? Thanks." It was an action movie, but even action movies occasionally follow the Intro/Conflict/Resolution pattern. This one just dissolved into a bloodbath that didn't offer any resolution other than "I should have stopped watching this half an hour ago" by the time the credits were rolling. My girlfriend fell asleep before the end. I woke her up when I turned the TV off and in response to her mildly frustrated look I said: "You almost literally did not miss anything."
  • Jackwraith
  • Ninja
  • Thank you received: 887

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 18 Sep 2017 16:15 #254430

Unicron wrote:
Saturday, I saw the contentious Mother. Overall, it was a mixed bag, but I thought that the photography and acting was stellar. I won’t spoil it for anyone, but my wife and I didn’t think it was very ambiguous. It did go from being a subtle metaphor to a very heavy handed one. I always go back and forth on whether or not the film had much of a statement to make, but given the terrible reviews and discussions with others, I think it pushed a lot of buttons, so it makes it a bit hard to write it off. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an Aronofsky film that I wanted to see again, but as someone that watches about 400 movies every year, a film that's memorable is always preferable to the alternative.

re: Mother

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2409
Last Edit: 18 Sep 2017 16:19 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Varys, Unicron

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 18 Sep 2017 16:39 #254432

• Unicron
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 121
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 19 Sep 2017 18:08 #254510

Re: Gary Sax
  • Varys
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 60

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 22 Sep 2017 02:53 #254586

jeb wrote:
Watched E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL with my 13yo and 12yo this weekend. They agree it was good, but it didn't make them sob like it did me (at age 9) or tear up (at age 44). I think it's because they are dead inside and I am a delicate desert blossom deeply in touch with my emotions.

Jeb, you didn't make the trek all the way out to Pasadena, did you? I also took my son to see it last weekned; could we have been in the same theater??!?!
  • dragonstout
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 488
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.309 seconds