October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
15 Oct 2017 09:46 #255738 by Black Barney
I haven't seen BR yet but the Tron Legacy comments really worries me because I know EXACTLY what he means by that

Just out of curiosity, when we talk about CGIshaming Rogue One, we mean Leia and Snope mostly, right? I can't think of obvious CGI (to the point of taking me out of the movie) other than that. I was ok withTarkin I think in the end, certainly more than Clu in Tron Legacy, ugh
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2017 09:54 - 15 Oct 2017 09:56 #255739 by Grudunza
I’m referring to Tarkin/Leia in R1. There is something in BR2049 that is mind-blowingly good by comparison to that.
Last edit: 15 Oct 2017 09:56 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
15 Oct 2017 16:17 #255743 by Egg Shen

SebastianBludd wrote: Last night my sons and I watched Halloween 3. I saw it for the first time last year and I like it even more now. It's a great looking movie and 90% of the movie's eerie mood is conveyed by the great soundtrack. It's interesting to contrast Halloween 3 with Halloween: H20, a movie I don't like at all. While also set in California, Halloween 3 still feels like a Halloween (the holiday) film, whereas H20 has the slick and empty look of a CW show.

I LOVE Halloween III. It's the only film in that franchise besides the original that is worth a damn! It's an essential Halloween Season viewing for me. I literally just wrote about it on the Wolfman's Lounge this weekend:

wolfmanslounge.com/2017/10/15/wolfman-mi...oween-horror-movies/
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
15 Oct 2017 16:21 #255744 by Vlad
I don't think BR2049 is like Tron Legacy. I earlier compared it to Soderbergh's Solaris, but it isn't right either.
The Force Awakens probably is the most apt comparison. I notice, too, that people who liked The Force Awakens are more likely to like the new BR. My main criticism of both is also similar - they're expensive and lovingly created pieces of fanfic. I liked BR2049 more in a sense that at least it is not a remake.

Also watched the Ninjago movie. I didn't find it as awful as expected, but I was coming in with really low expectations. And it is still pretty bad. It is like they thought that with Lego Movie they had found a perfect formula, except it absolutely isn't.

More
15 Oct 2017 17:49 #255745 by Ancient_of_MuMu

Vlad wrote: I don't think BR2049 is like Tron Legacy. I earlier compared it to Soderbergh's Solaris, but it isn't right either.
The Force Awakens probably is the most apt comparison. I notice, too, that people who liked The Force Awakens are more likely to like the new BR. My main criticism of both is also similar - they're expensive and lovingly created pieces of fanfic. I liked BR2049 more in a sense that at least it is not a remake.

I think you are right that TFA is probably a better comparison, but with the caveat that Blade Runner is more about plot and Star Wars is more about action sequences, so when the retreads and plot holes come up in BR2049 they are less forgivable than in TFA.

More
15 Oct 2017 18:36 #255748 by hotseatgames
I realized that in my haste to talk trash about the CG effects in The Mountain Between Us, I failed to give kudos to the true star of the movie, a big old yellow labrador that they have on the mountain with them. That dog stole every scene he was in.

More
17 Oct 2017 07:57 - 17 Oct 2017 08:31 #255813 by Mr. White
Watched It Follows last night while painting. Not sure how I feel about it. Beautifully shot. Great Carpenter-like score, but in the end I felt like I didn't really watch a complete story. The contract between viewer and creator was breached. Did the movie have an ending?

Warning: Spoiler!

And....why didn't everyone just sleep together one evening so they could all be in the chain and see the nemesis? I dunno about this one.

This was like a slasher flick where the slasher had no personality and had a low body count because they only hunted one. Slasher films aren't my favorite and I guess as they go Freddy is the best because he has a personality.

Question. Which should I watch with a person who mainly likes comedies and romance: Get Out or that Cloverfield Lane movie?
Last edit: 17 Oct 2017 08:31 by Mr. White.

More
17 Oct 2017 08:14 #255814 by Black Barney
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
17 Oct 2017 08:32 #255815 by Mr. White

Black Barney wrote: The Big Sick

On the list, but the other two have an element of 'horror' don't they? Halloween and all...

More
17 Oct 2017 08:38 #255816 by hotseatgames
I haven't seen Get Out yet, but Cloverfield Lane is great. It is a slow burn that slowly builds tension, and it all pays off. Also, Jon Goodman kills it.

More
17 Oct 2017 09:01 #255819 by charlest
Get Out is better than Cloverfield Lane, although the latter is definitely entertaining.

I thought the same thing Mr. White about "why didn't they all just sleep together?" But I enjoyed It Follows quite a bit regardless. The atmosphere was much stronger than most similar films and I found myself constantly scanning the background of scenes.

More
17 Oct 2017 09:25 #255821 by Mr. White
After watching It Follows, I recalled some F:ATties liked it, so poured through old posts in this thread for about 30-45mins looking for the thoughts of others. Re-visiting some of our older comments, one thing became clear.

Too many people are wrong about John Carter...

ha!

More
17 Oct 2017 09:43 #255823 by Black Barney
Both of those are really good White. Get Out is better and has some nice, sick romantic elements to it so she might like that one better. Cloverfield Lane is scarier and creepier, Get Out is smarter.

More
17 Oct 2017 10:06 #255826 by Shellhead

Grudunza wrote:

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: I just saw Blade Runner 2049. I don't understand the love this is getting as it is similar in quality to Tron: Legacy. I may even forget I saw it in a couple of years time.

I saw it yesterday and have the opposite reaction. I keep thinking about it, and different scenes and moments that were cool and meaningful, and I’m eager to see it again. May be the best completely unnecessary and unwarranted sequel ever.

My initial reaction to the announcement of a Blade Runner sequel was that it really didn't need a sequel. Now that I have seen the sequel, I feel that the sequel actually is necessary and retroactively makes the original better for having a sequel. The original Blade Runner always left me a bit dissatisfied, like a couple of crucial scenes got left on the editing room floor, or maybe it just ended too abruptly. The sequel felt a little too long (then again, I say that about almost every movie over two hours long), but told a complete story that wrapped up hanging threads from the original.

It still troubles me that some people try to compare Niander Wallace with Roy Batty. Niander Wallace is a sadistic megalomaniac. Roy Batty was a hero trapped in the wrong story, and he sacrificed the final minutes of his life to change the mind of an implacable foe.

Speaking of Niander, I just found out that he was introduced in a short film that falls in between the two Blade Runner movies. It's called 2036: Nexus Dawn. I will watch this when I get home to a computer with speakers:

The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
17 Oct 2017 10:12 #255827 by Disgustipater
There's also a short about the Blackout.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.412 seconds