October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
12 Dec 2017 17:45 #258993 by Shellhead
I didn't see the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie in the theater, but I heard great things about it from friends and the internet. When I saw the trailer for the GotG sequel, I thought it was hilarious. So I finally checked out the first one from the library, and was underwhelmed. I knew all the characters from the comics, and there were some smile-worthy moments, but I don't remember laughing even once. And the relentless action seemed more tedious than exciting. I was so disappointed that I didn't even want to see the sequel, especially after hearing it wasn't as good as the first one, which was meh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Dec 2017 11:30 #259027 by Sevej
Just got back from TLJ. It's good. A little bit slow in the 2nd quarter, bu the rest is amazing roller coaster ride with lots of surprises.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney

More
15 Dec 2017 01:28 #259131 by Vlad
Re-watched The Hateful Eight. Although I love Tarantino, I didn't care much about it when I saw it first, but that was 9 months before the elections, my idea of this country and what's going on through people's minds was very different back then. Now, I really appreciated Tarantino's vision of racial/cultural/gender divide.
Starting with Walter Goggins angry: "I guess someone reads too many newspapers printed in Washington DC" (that was 9 months before "fake news", etc.!) to its (again, in hindsight) prophetic ending.
This film feels so fucking modern and poignant, and there's so much in it about people seriously hating each other based on their general principles and world views, and being so focused and blinded by their hatred that they are unable to see the real dangers of their situation - that, as it usually happens, has nothing to do with any big ideas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
15 Dec 2017 02:13 - 15 Dec 2017 02:15 #259133 by __

Sevej wrote: Just got back from TLJ. It's good. A little bit slow in the 2nd quarter, bu the rest is amazing roller coaster ride with lots of surprises.

Hmm, I thought it was just OK, I mean its got some great action stuff in there but lots of stuff that is either stupid (I mean given the internal logic of what you're watching, making no sense) or just extraneous. As a result the film felt too long and bloated with unimportant stuff so then the really key moments actually didnt get enough time and felt rushed. I didnt feel like there were loads of amazing surprises, theres really only one moment that stands out, and I'm not sure they even pulled it off very well, it just felt way too rushed after that bit in terms of how that character developed again. Some of the scenes were cringeworthy bad in terms of not making any sense at all, I think thats a consquence of the big budget too much shit going on syndrome (like, the originals were limited in effects, locations, and characters, so the entire first movie was built around some small ships dodging through defenses to blow up a big death star, here, every single battle is bigger, and more mental than the death star battle but just feels cheap and stupid because all of a sudden it makes no sense.

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 15 Dec 2017 02:15 by __.

More
15 Dec 2017 09:12 #259144 by Shellhead

Vlad wrote: Re-watched The Hateful Eight. Although I love Tarantino, I didn't care much about it when I saw it first, but that was 9 months before the elections, my idea of this country and what's going on through people's minds was very different back then. Now, I really appreciated Tarantino's vision of racial/cultural/gender divide.
Starting with Walter Goggins angry: "I guess someone reads too many newspapers printed in Washington DC" (that was 9 months before "fake news", etc.!) to its (again, in hindsight) prophetic ending.
This film feels so fucking modern and poignant, and there's so much in it about people seriously hating each other based on their general principles and world views, and being so focused and blinded by their hatred that they are unable to see the real dangers of their situation - that, as it usually happens, has nothing to do with any big ideas.

I was a big Tarantino fan, but the last time that I enjoyed one of his movies was Death Proof. The Hateful Eight was okay, but felt long and might have benefited from a 75% reduction in the use of the N-word. I read somewhere that it was Tarantino's version of John Carpenter's version of The Thing. But your analysis offers an interesting perspective, so now I have two reasons to re-watch it. Will need to find a block of time when my girlfriend isn't home.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
15 Dec 2017 09:59 #259150 by hotseatgames
It's heavily influenced by The Thing. It's a good film, but honestly you are better served by just re-watching The Thing.

Which isn't a fair thing to say, since you could say that about almost any other movie. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Gregarius, Vlad

More
15 Dec 2017 13:03 #259176 by Vlad
It is very heavily influenced by The Thing, I think Tarantino said this himself. And, unlike The Thing, The Hateful Eight is really really long and takes a long time to get going. It is not a perfect movie by any means, nor one I'd want to re-watch on a constant basis (like Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill). Just saying there's more to it than I thought after the first viewing.
Another thing that I really liked is the feeling of cold this movie transmits. I think it is the best blizzard movie I've seen, if that's worth something.

More
15 Dec 2017 13:28 #259180 by Gregarius
I finally caught up with Hateful Eight for the first time last week. Didn't care for it. Tarantino is an infuriating director to me. He clearly has a lot of talent, both for directing and writing, but he's also so self-indulgent that each successive movie contains a lot more chaff than wheat. But man, when there is wheat, it's pretty damn good.

I saw Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri a couple of days ago. It's really, really good. It's a fairly heavy drama with only a few touches of humor, but it is filled with interesting twists and turns. The best thing I can say about it is that it doesn't shy away from asking big questions about anger, guilt, forgiveness, revenge, and all the choices we make in our lives, little and big. Go see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
15 Dec 2017 13:42 #259183 by Grudunza

Gregarius wrote:

They missed the whole point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
17 Dec 2017 21:10 #259238 by Black Barney
Anyone catch FERDINAND yet? Thinking of taking Emily during holiday season. Looks decent. Obviously won’t top CoCo or anything but doesn’t look to be another Boss Baby

More
18 Dec 2017 07:36 #259243 by Erik Twice
Roger Ebert once talked about a hypothetical film about a man falling down from a building in one of his reviews. This movie, he argued, would be utterly pointless: There can be no possible ending but the man splattering into the ground and no possible character development other than the man falling down.

Life is that movie. It's an Alien clone in which the alien, instead of being dangerous, simply cannot be destroyed. They shoot at it with a flame-thrower pointblank and it doesn't die. It goes out of the spaceship and keeps breathing. And its luck never runs out. It sneaks in in the last second, always, no matter how ludicrous or dumb it would be for it to survive.

In other words, it's that "man falling down" film. There's no possible development other than the characters dying and no possible ending other than the alien killing all or most of them.

One of the reasons I didn't like Alien was that characters were made to hold the idiot ball in order to advance the plot. Here, there's no need for them to make mistakes, they never had a chance. Their actions never mattered.

More
18 Dec 2017 07:43 #259244 by Gary Sax
That's a good critique of that movie, I hadn't thought of that. I thought it was ok and didn't hate it. But it certainly didn't evoke much tension or excitement.

More
18 Dec 2017 07:56 #259245 by hotseatgames
I thought Life was okay, and quite tense in moments. I felt that a key event happening early on meant that the film meant business, and I'm also a big Jake G fan, so I was also more predisposed to liking it. But I agree, it's not the movie that it could have been.

More
18 Dec 2017 09:28 #259251 by Shellhead

Erik Twice wrote: One of the reasons I didn't like Alien was that characters were made to hold the idiot ball in order to advance the plot. Here, there's no need for them to make mistakes, they never had a chance. Their actions never mattered.

I think that you are forgetting that the crew of the Nostromo included an android who was specifically put on that ship to bring back an alien, and was very secretive about his mission. Ash lied about the signal and told the crew that it was a distress signal when it was actually a warning beacon. He also breached the quarantine to let the infected and exposed crew members back on board. He didn't program the auto-doc to save Kane, he used it to analyze and monitor the alien. And then he lied when he gave Kane a clean bill of health, leading to the spaghetti dinner incident. Aside from Ripley's suspicions, the crew was blindsided because they had no reason to think that one of their own would lie and betray them for the sake of an alien specimen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
18 Dec 2017 11:11 #259256 by Black Barney
One Lieutenant Ripley managed to outwit an unkillable space beast too.

The reason LIFE sucked so bad is because there is no Lieutenant Ripley or ANYTHING close on board that space station. At one point some chick has the thing attached to her while doing a spacewalk. She could kick off the station and send them both into deep space or a nice warm re-entry. Either way, that's the end of the movie right there, a hero's death and crisis averted.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.555 seconds