October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
16 Mar 2018 16:48 #265862 by Mr. White
What happens at the end that makes it questionable? I don't mind spoilers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2018 17:05 #265864 by Colorcrayons
Just some robots that follow only the orders of a bad guy turning on their own allied humans and other peaceful beings.

It's pretty bland, but that's the one bit of violence that stands out in an otherwise very light PG movie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
18 Mar 2018 11:39 #265928 by ChristopherMD
The Shape of Water - An amazingly fantastic movie. I liked everything about it; the editing, the soundtrack, the acting, the writing, the cinematography, etc. Another masterpiece from Del Toro that has restored my faith in modern cinema.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look, SuperflyPete, Colorcrayons

More
18 Mar 2018 11:50 #265929 by Josh Look

Mad Dog wrote: The Shape of Water - An amazingly fantastic movie. I liked everything about it; the editing, the soundtrack, the acting, the writing, the cinematography, etc. Another masterpiece from Del Toro that has restored my faith in modern cinema.

4 days later and I’m still coming down from it. So great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
18 Mar 2018 22:25 #265950 by Shellhead
Talking about the Hell House book elsewhere here today compelled me to watch the film version on YouTube just now. It was a bad cut, with the screen cropped too much to fit the format. At one point, there was a scene where two characters are having an intense conversation, but this cropped youtube only showed the tips of the noses of the two actors during the most crucial dialogue. Still, The Legend of Hell House is one of the best haunted house movies ever. The Shining, The Haunting, and maybe Crimson Peak are better, but that's a short list.

More
18 Mar 2018 23:01 #265952 by SuperflyPete
Just saw Justice League. Should have been called “Wonder Woman Stalls Until Superman Arrives II”

Not bad. Way better than BvS in a lot of ways. Ben Affleck is officially the worst Batman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
18 Mar 2018 23:03 #265953 by SuperflyPete

Colorcrayons wrote: Agreed. I'm kind of despotic about what I allow the kids to watch.

The entire time viewing it, I didn't see anything that I would consider inappropriate (the spawnlings are 10 and 12).
The Rhianna scene went over with the kids being bored by it, even though she was shifting magically through outfits. Just enough for adults to understand what the deal is, yet not enough for kids to really grasp.
I actually think there was less violence in Valerian than in Star Wars. At least until the end fight scene.

Luc Bisson’s trademark is putting completely stupid scenes in the second act for no reason.

Still, I loved Valerian.

More
18 Mar 2018 23:52 - 18 Mar 2018 23:54 #265956 by Michael Barnes

Shellhead wrote: Talking about the Hell House book elsewhere here today compelled me to watch the film version on YouTube just now. It was a bad cut, with the screen cropped too much to fit the format. At one point, there was a scene where two characters are having an intense conversation, but this cropped youtube only showed the tips of the noses of the two actors during the most crucial dialogue. Still, The Legend of Hell House is one of the best haunted house movies ever. The Shining, The Haunting, and maybe Crimson Peak are better, but that's a short list.

I LOVE The Legend of Hell House. LOVE it. The tone of it is quite unlike any other haunted house picture- it is so serious, clinical, and at times almost brutal in its directness. I love that whole “Mount Everest of Haunted Houses bit- really sets an atmosphere.

Fun facts- it was shot at the same house that The Haunting (and Watcher never the Woods) was shot at, and directed by the director of Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry. And Watcher in the Woods, for that matter. John Hough did a lot of good stuff in the 70s, including some top notch Hammer films.

I think I might have watched it in excess of 50 times, it’s one of my go-to movies when I’m bored and just want to watch something familiar.

I kind of like Crimson Peak being in that strata...would need to include The Innocents and of course Poltergeist in there though. Probably The Changeling too.
Last edit: 18 Mar 2018 23:54 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
19 Mar 2018 03:38 - 19 Mar 2018 03:38 #265957 by Sevej
Not exactly "watching a movie". But last Sunday morning we asked our 3yo what did she want to watch.

"Alien."
"Oh?" (Oh is the alien character in Home)
"No, the kind octopus."

It was amusing as hell because "kind octopus" is the alien from the movie Arrival, and we watched that then. A friend commented "Good luck explaining that", but it wasn't really necessary since for her it's not that much different from, say, the Iron Giant.
Last edit: 19 Mar 2018 03:38 by Sevej.

More
19 Mar 2018 08:30 #265960 by Black Barney
Dénis Villeneuves, « The Kind Octopus » starring Amy Adams opening everywhere this Friday...

... yup I would have loved that title instead! Although it’s a slight spoiler as to what the aliens look like but I prefer calling them kind octopuses than hecta-whatever

« And The Oscar for best cinematography goes to.... the kind Octopus!!! »
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sevej

More
19 Mar 2018 20:42 #265999 by hotseatgames
I just watched Moon, which is now on Netflix. I enjoyed it, and was surprised at the way the plot unfolded. I had guessed where the plot was heading and was wrong, which is always nice.

I will say that I found the effects lacking. There is some shoddy green screen in this film.

More
19 Mar 2018 21:46 #266000 by Shellhead
My girlfriend rarely discusses movies after we watch them. When she does, it is usually just a brief question as to whether I liked a movie or not. But when we went out for dinner last Friday, she surprised me by bringing up Black Panther, even though it had been 10 days since we saw it in the theater. She said that Wakanda was Kenya, if Kenya had the resources of South Africa and had never been colonized. She also felt like the ending was unsatisfactory, though I pointed out that there will definitely be sequels to a movie that has already done one billion in global box office receipts. I also mentioned that one of my oldest comics had a map of Wakanda, placing it between Ethiopia and Kenya.

She even asked me about how similar the movie was to the comics. I gave her a couple of trade paperback volumes to read. This is the first time in nearly a decade that she has shown any interest in comics. I once loaned her the first 56 issues of Y the Last Man, and she read them all in one sleepless night.

More
19 Mar 2018 22:07 #266001 by Sagrilarus
My wife enjoys any movie with Bucky Barnes in it.

More
19 Mar 2018 22:42 #266005 by Black Barney
MOON is also the only Kevin Spacey movie that isn’t ruined.

Try watching Baby Driver and not think that he doesn’t want to sexually assault Baby the entire time

More
19 Mar 2018 22:44 #266006 by Colorcrayons
K-pax makes a lot more sense with Creepy Spacey in it now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, SuperflyPete

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.151 seconds