October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
03 Dec 2017 00:35 #258565 by Michael Barnes
Y

hotseatgames wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

hotseatgames wrote: I bought Cosmic Alliance, (the one with the white ships) so now I can play Cosmic with 7.

I accidentally bought Cosmic Alliance twice, so I can now play Cosmic with 8. I wrote "Not White" on the five extra white planets, and used a sharpie to put identifying marks on the white ships.

It's that kind of DIY attitude that is the spirit of F:AT

Amateurs. Once we wanted to play 7 before the 7th color came out. We got a sheet of paper and drew planets on it. Each was named for a Chinese restaraunt- Magic Panda, Manchu Wok, Lucky Dragon, Lucky Dragon II, Happy China. Pennies for ships. We did it another time and all the planets were Dutch colonies.

Guess it isn’t a board game but I just bought an assload of Anki Overdrive stuff. Well, Santa bought it. 25% on their web site.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2017 08:18 #258598 by ThirstyMan

cranberries wrote: A local guy has $190 of Arkham LCG that he'll trade for two games I'm not playing and $65. It is tempting.

Arkham Horror LCG is fucking brilliant. It's even great as a solo game (maybe better solo). Tons of characters that all play differently so it's a challenge to win.

Normal difficulty is, in reality, 'fuck hard' difficulty and hard and nightmare are 'shoot me now' difficulty.

I am a massive fan and I put it higher than LoTR LCG in enjoyment factor and only marginally lower than masturbating.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
08 Dec 2017 17:40 - 08 Dec 2017 17:40 #258839 by ChristopherMD
Gonna get some BGG Bowls!

Only $40 for all 12 bowls
Last edit: 08 Dec 2017 17:40 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
08 Dec 2017 19:01 #258842 by the_jake_1973

Mad Dog wrote: Gonna get some BGG Bowls!

Only $40 for all 12 bowls

Those are actually kinda cool and serve multiple functions. More than I'd pay, but it does not generate the hatred I feel towards artisan crafted wooden bowls for boardgame pieces or 3000 dollar gaming tables.

More
08 Dec 2017 20:58 - 08 Dec 2017 21:02 #258845 by Sagrilarus
Just picked up Hold the Line (1st edition! Woot!) and a new game called Planetarium. I've been looking at it, looks interesting and it was being sold by the same guy so shipping was gratis. Looks fun in a science-y sort of way.
Last edit: 08 Dec 2017 21:02 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
11 Dec 2017 12:23 - 11 Dec 2017 12:23 #258898 by barrowdown

charlest wrote: I do think the Exit puzzles I've seen are better than the Unlock! wave 1 puzzles - except for maybe a puzzle or two in each. I really enjoyed the final Squeek and Sausage puzzle (which I know angered some people), and I love the ones that use audio clues.

We played our first Unlock! wave 2 this weekend (House on the Hill) and I must say it was a huge improvement over wave 1. It was only rated a 1 for difficulty so it was fairly simple, but the flow worked better and it had better solutions that were not just Card A + Card B. It still feels like you are flipping through cards quickly just for the sake of feeling like you are doing something. Exit is still superior in my mind.

We also played through all four of the downloadable adventures and they were mostly okay. The Elite and Doo-Arann Dungeon were the best of the lot and DAD uses its theme the best of any I have played in the series. I hope that it is an example of the thematic feel you mentioned for the underwater one.
Last edit: 11 Dec 2017 12:23 by barrowdown.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
11 Dec 2017 12:27 - 11 Dec 2017 12:43 #258900 by Shellhead
Boardgames are relatively expensive now compared to when I started in the hobby (1980), so I usually do some research before buying a game. Once in a while, I have bought on impulse, but usually still get a decent game because I have good instincts about how marketing and packaging is trying to manipulate me.

On Saturday, both FFG and the flgs were running holiday promotions. FFG had a stack of Cthulhu Wars base sets for $120 each, but I didn't see that as much of a bargain and passed. At the flgs, I noticed Room 25 Season Two. I was interested in Room 25 a couple of years back, having seen both Cube and Hypercube. And somebody here at F:AT mentioned a newer edition of Room 25 at some point, so I figured this Season Two must be the new edition, and bought it at a discount.

When I got home, I had a bad case of buyer's remorse. For starters, the rulebook was crap. It took me a while to figure out that this was an expansion, so I would need to buy the base set before I could play. The room tiles looked good, but otherwise the visual design of the game was a bit disappointing. And now that I've read comments and reviews at TOS, I'm not sure if I should buy that base set. The reviews and comments were generally favorable, but with enough caveats to leave me in doubt. I suppose I could take my chances on the base set, and maybe house rule it into a better game or sell it off.

EDIT: It gets worse. What I bought was an expansion to the original version of the game, which is OOP. The current retail version is the Ultimate Edition, which combines the contents of the original base game and the expansion that I recklessly bought. There are some complaints at TOS that the room tile backs from the base set and the expansion don't match, and that sounds like a legit issue because most game expansions that I have seen have had color differences between base and each expansion. So it seems that the only edition worth getting is the Ultimate Edition because all the tiles from the base and expansion are printed together.
Last edit: 11 Dec 2017 12:43 by Shellhead.

More
11 Dec 2017 12:37 - 11 Dec 2017 12:38 #258902 by Frohike
I'm taking a 3 week trip to UK & Europe, beginning the end of this week, so I'm bringing a couple of card games, and since we'll be swinging by my old neighborhood in Carcassonne I ... have to bring that game too.

Anyway, based on some positive comments here, I've picked up 7 Wonders: Duel. I'll probably throw in San Juan & some unsolved Sherlock Holmes cases & be done with it. I don't plan on a lot of board game time but a few airport & train-ride diversions will be nice.
Last edit: 11 Dec 2017 12:38 by Frohike.

More
11 Dec 2017 13:45 #258913 by southernman
The last few months I've gone a bit silly and been buying stuff on sale that either I like the look of or was too good a deal not to grab and try:
Thunderbirds + 3 expansions (one play, fun)
DC Comics Deckbuilding game + Crisis expansion + Rivals 2-player version (good games)
Magic the Gathering: Arena of the Planeswalkers + 2 expansions (back for some simple minis fun)
Seafall (for £20 I could not leave this alone, now to find enough people to play it)
And both FFG's Civilization expansions as I've had the base game for a while but didn't want to get it out without at least one of the expansions.
And just got a copy of Star Trek Fleet Captains as I needed another 2-player game and minis + good theme sold me on it.

That's my Christmas sorted.

More
11 Dec 2017 15:23 #258918 by charlest
After receiving an Amazon gift card at work, I ended up buying a couple of electronic/board game hybirds.

Beasts of Balance looks pretty interesting as a combination of Jenga/Pokemon.

Dropmix is on sale today for $54, and I couldn't help myself. I expect the game portion of this to be awful, but as a toy/activity I expect it to come through.

More
11 Dec 2017 15:57 #258920 by barrowdown
I'm curious to see what you have to say on those two. They both caught my eye as a cool activity/hybrid that the mini-human might enjoy.

More
11 Dec 2017 16:02 #258921 by charlest

barrowdown wrote: I'm curious to see what you have to say on those two. They both caught my eye as a cool activity/hybrid that the mini-human might enjoy.

Yes, the hope is my 4 year loves Beasts of Balance. Dropmix I think may be great as a game with wider family appeal (wife/parents/etc.)

More
12 Dec 2017 14:52 #258971 by Shellhead
Ugh, I decided to double down on my Room 25 Season Two purchase by getting Room 25 Ultimate, which is the newer edition that includes all the Season Two content. Maybe the tiles or some other content in my Season Two box can be used to do a convention event type game with more than 8 players, maybe on teams and in a bigger complex. Room 36 or even Room 49!

More
12 Dec 2017 15:06 #258972 by the_jake_1973
I have found some great deals in a Facebook group, Wargamer's Marketplace.
A complete collection of C & C Ancients for 175. WOO!!
A member there acquired a bunch of old AH wargames, so I picked up:
Air Force
Firepower
Flight Leader
Richtofen's War

Super month!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Sagrilarus, Gregarius

More
12 Dec 2017 16:01 #258978 by Sagrilarus

the_jake_1973 wrote: A complete collection of C & C Ancients for 175. WOO!!

I'd pay that much just to not have to sticker all of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Gregarius

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.585 seconds