October 09, 2023
2286 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BAND(s) are you seeing? ARCHIVE

More
20 Apr 2010 11:07 - 18 Jul 2011 04:13 #60313 by jay718
It seems that musical tastes are all over the map here, so I thought it would be interesting to see what kind of live acts folks around here are checking out. I don't get to a fraction of the shows I once did between work, family, an affected air of indifference, and general curmudgeonry but this week there's a few concerts that I decided I just couldn't miss.

The Specials on Wednesday and The Business the very next day! (Immediatly followed by work till 5am. Yay!) Municipal Waste and Toxic Holocaust are playing down the street from the bar the same night as the Business (also playing closeby) and camps from both shows will be coming to the bar afterwards, so it should be pretty nuts. Hopefully the skinheads and metalheads will all get along. I'm pretty adept at keeping the peace though, so I'm sure all will be well. I'm on the list for both shows on Thursday, but the Business won out cuz it's been about ten years since I've seen them and I caught MW and TH last year when they opened for At the Gates. Should be an awesome week!
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Jul 2011 04:13 by ubarose.
The topic has been locked.
More
20 Apr 2010 11:15 - 20 Apr 2010 11:21 #60316 by Mr. White
I recall you living in NYC and was going to suggest you attend the Specials show tonight or tomorrow if not already. Sure, Dammers still isn't back in the band, but Terry Hall is. I saw 'the Specials' a few times the past 20 years, but Hall wasn't part of the line-up. This is the closest we've seen to a full reunion. Hope they make it to Texas...

However, their appearance on Jimmy Fallon the other night left me a bit underwhelmed. Hall seemed bored. Let us know how the show gets on!

The Business? Caught them a few times in Atlanta and once here. Didn't know they were still banging around.

Passed on FinnTroll this month, and thinking about Findley Brown next. There's a few local bands I'm interest in checking out and anticipate tours from the Slackers and Gaslight Anthem to support their new albums. Heading back to the arena for Iron Maiden this summer in San Antonio.
Last edit: 20 Apr 2010 11:21 by Mr. White.
More
20 Apr 2010 11:41 #60324 by jay718
Saw both of those Specials tours minus Terry myself. Neville was singing the second time. Not so great. They had also just released Todays specials which is just utter shit. Should be a better show this time around. Dammers did write the songs, but lates face it: they're already written at this point. I'd much rather have the original singer thirty years on than the original keyboard player/songwriter. Especially with this kind of music. I mean it aint like seeing the experience w/out Jimi or Thin Lizzy w/out Phil.
More
20 Apr 2010 11:46 #60327 by mjl1783
I don't go to shows very often, but I do have tickets to Rush at the NY state fair that I'm pretty excited about.
More
20 Apr 2010 11:57 #60329 by Matt Thrower
I haven't been to a gig in about five years.

The last act I saw was an experimental folk musician called Jim Moray. The posters for the gig looked like this:

And the resulting tiny audience consisted of a bunch of folkies like me who knew what they'd come for, and a gaggle of teenage goth girls who'd been suckered in by the poster and had no idea what the fuck was going on. It was pretty funny, and the music was awesome.

Probably the only way you'd get kids hearing folk music nowadays.
More
20 Apr 2010 11:59 #60330 by El Cuajinais
I went to see Guns 'n Roses (or what's left of it) last Thursday. That was the 2nd time they came to Puerto Rico and the 2nd time I've been there basically on the 1st row. To me G'nR is untouchable. There's them and then there is all the rest. I would have given an eye to see them in the old days of the Use Your Illusion tour but they never came to PR. By the way I am of the opinion that the Chinese Democracy album is as awesome as all the rest of the albums they put out. ('xcept Spaghetti which sucked).

Sebastian Bach opened the concert and that dude can still hit his high pitch like the old days, you should have heard him sing "I Remember You." Axl had to tone it down in some of the songs but I didn't care. THAT’S WAS FRICK'N AXL ROSE UP THERE MAN!!!
More
20 Apr 2010 12:24 #60332 by generalpf
Nobody outside of Canada will know who I'm talking about but Our Lady Peace is putting on a show this month where they play their Clumsy album from front to back. It's going to be epic.

Last show I saw where a band did that was My Chemical Romance after The Black Parade was released; best concert EVER!
More
20 Apr 2010 12:25 #60333 by mikoyan
I will probably go see Roger Waters when he comes on tour.
More
20 Apr 2010 12:53 #60339 by Dr. Mabuse
mjl1783 wrote:

I don't go to shows very often, but I do have tickets to Rush at the NY state fair that I'm pretty excited about.

Ooooh you should see if Barnes wants to go.

[Takes cover in some bushes to watch the impending fallout.]
More
20 Apr 2010 14:13 #60358 by Dogmatix
Matt: Did anyone among the Old Folkies wonder why the poster image was of Marillion's Fish circa Script for a Jester's Tear? I'm pretty sure that's exactly the makeup scheme he wore back then.

As for me, Widespread Panic's spring tour is finally upon us. The wife and I are hitting 2 in DC (tonight, tomorrow), 2 in Raleigh, NC (friday, saturday), and 2 in Richmond (monday, tuesday).

Next up after that will probably be King Sunny Ade in mid-May and Soundgarden whenever the reunion tour makes its way 'round this way. I heard a couple of audience tapes of the Seattle show and they were in fine form (didn't think Cornell's voice would hold up) and the setlist was fucking great, so I'll go relive my early gradschool years with a night full of Get on the Snake>Full on Kevin's Mom....
More
20 Apr 2010 15:04 #60371 by Hex Sinister
The Wedding Present tomorrow. They're playing all the songs off Bizzarro to celebrate it's anniversary. One of my very favorite albums.

Maybe His Name Is Alive on Monday...

For any Gangstarr fans out there, sad news. Guru passed away this week. R.I.P to a smooth mutherfucker.
More
20 Apr 2010 15:10 #60376 by Pat II
Going to see Porcupine Tree on May 7th.
They will play their latest double album from start to finish.
More
20 Apr 2010 15:10 #60377 by Columbob
3 Inches of Blood in a couple of weeks
Coheed & Cambria a couple of weeks later
Iron Maiden w/ Dream Theater in July, at least twice
Canadian Carnage/Heavy MTL tour with Megadeth, Slayer, Mastodon, Testament, Alice Cooper and a bunch more in July
Rush if they come to Ottawa Bluesfest (official Cisco Bluesfest announcement tomorrow)
Maybe Muse in October
More
20 Apr 2010 15:12 - 20 Apr 2010 15:13 #60379 by Pat II
Columbob wrote:

3 Inches of Blood in a couple of weeks
Coheed & Cambria a couple of weeks later
Iron Maiden w/ Dream Theater in July, at least twice
Canadian Carnage/Heavy MTL tour with Megadeth, Slayer, Mastodon, Testament, Alice Cooper and a bunch more in July
Rush if they come to Ottawa Bluesfest (official Cisco Bluesfest announcement tomorrow)
Maybe Muse in October

I saw the Heavy MTL in 2008 and it was great.
Last edit: 20 Apr 2010 15:13 by Pat II.
More
20 Apr 2010 15:42 #60388 by Michael Barnes
Guru died?! Sucks!

It's still funny to me to hear about people going to see Mastodon...I used to see those guys ALL THE TIME in Atlanta. Like, we'd go to a bar for drinks and Mastodon would just be there playing. Or I'd see a couple of them working at Junkman's Daughter, a "alternative" shop here. I saw one of them working there long after they had a couple of albums out, which was fucked up.

I haven't been to a show since The Pogues last year. It's a combination of nothing coming to Atlanta that I want to see, and being pregnant for most of last year. I used to go to one or two shows a week- not any more. I miss it.

I've seen SO MANY bands. It's hard to get excited anymore for some little band when I've seen fucking Suicide, Death in June, Einsturzende Neubauten, Test Department, the MC5, Gary Numan, Wire, Gang of Four, the Fall, Massive Attack, Autechre, Body Count, the Exploited, the Selecter, Swans, Subhumans, and on and on and on...

If LCD Soundsystem comes through town on their current tour, I'll definitely go though.

Ooooh you should see if Barnes wants to go.

I actually went to a Rush show once in the late 1980s. I wanted to see the openers- Voivod. I stayed for like five minutes of Rush and left. Too much "deedledeedledoodle" for me.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds