October 09, 2023
2297 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2512 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BANDS are you seeing?

More
07 Feb 2013 13:50 #143488 by Mr. White
20 years ago I saw Morrissey (w/ Big Sandy) at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville.

Over the past several years, he's come through town from time to time, but my interest had kind of waned. Those Smith albums are crucial to my formative years, though, and I understand Moz had a resurgence of sorts in the mid to late 00s.

I hear his health isn't so well and/or he plans on retiring soon, so my wife bought me tickets for my birthday (last December) and the show is next Wednesday. I'm looking forward to it more than I thought I would be and am boning up on some of his solo work I skipped over (everything after Southpaw Grammar).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2013 13:59 - 07 Feb 2013 14:00 #143490 by OldHippy
Strange damn thread... scissors has edited all of his posts away for some reason and TS Cook is the same dick he's always been. Writing posts like a barely twenty something hipster.

I usually never say things like that. Sorry.

Enjoy Morrissey Jeff, I've never been a fan but he's had a few lyrics I've liked over the years and is an interesting figure like him or not. Can't believe you saw him at the Grand Ole Opry... what a strange place for him to play. I can just picture him listening to Hank Williams.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2013 14:00 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
07 Feb 2013 14:07 - 07 Feb 2013 14:13 #143493 by Mr. White
Thanks, Jacob.

I expect I'll get a little choked up. All the years that have passed since that show in Nashville, plus thinking back on the young brat I used to be, to seeing him live again but with all the years between and knowing this is likely the end.

I'm a sentimental fool though...
Last edit: 07 Feb 2013 14:13 by Mr. White.

More
07 Feb 2013 19:25 #143537 by Michael Barnes
I saw Moz in 2004, at Radio City Music Hall. David Byrne, David Johanssen, and Nancy Sinatra were all there, just hangin' out watching the show.

It was pretty awesome, actually. He had his name in giant light-up letters. THe band all looked just like him. He sweated profusely. Played "There is a Light THat Never Goes Out" and something happened that caused him to leave the stage in a tiff. Totally what you want out of that show.

I was surprised to hear so many Smiths songs- Bigmouth, How Soon is Now (duh), Shoplifters, Panic.

The album from that tour was really good- "You Are the Quarry". The record after that was pretty good too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
28 Jan 2014 17:50 #170877 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I just had a really interesting experience last week that is worth sharing.

A few years ago, my wife and I decided the only current band we both really wanted to see was Arcade Fire, and we then spent years waiting for them to come to Australia. Finally mid-way through last year they announced they were touring with the "Big Day Out" which is Australia's premiere music festival, but lately has made a bad name for itself with lots of drunk people doing stupid things, and no-one I know ever considers going. So we very reluctantly bought our tickets to the Big Day Out, hoping they would do a solo show in Melbourne which we would go to, and then sell our BDO tickets. In the end they announced a sideshow, and I was too lazy to sell the BDO tickets so spent quite a while wondering what to do with them, and thought I would make up my mind in the week or two before the show.

Our life took a dramatic turn for the worse at the start of this year when my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer (hers is completely survivable, but it really sucks in terms of money, time, opportunity, etc, and I don't really want to go into that here), and when her health prevented her from going she decided she didn't want to hold me back, so told me to find someone else to go to both concerts with. A friend came with me to the Arcade Fire concert, which was really great (nothing outstanding, but nothing bad, so in the end a good 8 or 9 out of 10).

The interesting thing was that after much discussion about the festival tickets (literally no-one my age wants to go this festival), I decided to take my 9 year old daughter who is on the autism spectrum to it (she is autistic minus the extreme obsessiveness, so is generally functional in society but slightly odd). She really likes music but listens to it in a way that would drive anyone else nuts: picking one song and only listening to that song for a week (the other day she discovered she had listened to one song 80 times in a day). I played her some of the bands we might see, and she decided she liked "Tick Tick Boom" by The Hives so listened to that 10 times one night before we went.

So what is it like to take a very young autistic person to a festival? I have to say it is interesting and not the way I would normally experience such an event. First thing I found was that anywhere was too loud for her. We spent the first 15 minutes searching for ear plugs, and even then getting closer than 200 feet from a speaker was too much. So any time we saw an act we were way, way back, well beyond the crowd. Also she wasn't interested in standing so we had to sit on the grass. She also had a lot of trouble settling anywhere, so the first 45 minutes we were there we saw 3 different bands (The Drones (I loved but too loud for her), The 1975 (she thought was OK, but too teenage girl for me) and Tame Impala (too psychedelic for me)).

After looking at who we could see next, she decided that she wanted to see The Cosmic Psychos, intrigued by the fact that they were the grandfathers of Australian grunge and must be aged 50+. As they weren't on for 10 minutes I gave her my iPhone to play with. When they did come on, she kept playing on my phone, head down, not looking at them apart from a passing glance. At one point she told me my wife had sent me a text message asking how we were, so I told her to reply for us, as I was enjoying the band, and as she didn't seem to at all care she was there as she clearly found an iPhone was more entertaining. As she was about to send the message, she asked me to check her spelling, and I was intrigued to see the message was "It's great here. COSMIC PSYCHOS ROCK!!!! They are doing a song now about a bar and drinking beer and eating chips and pies." So I was just viewing the fact that she wasn't doing a festival the way I would do it, and just had a very different way of coping with the onslaught on the senses.

Later we went to see The Hives, who she was really keen to see and are regarded as one of the top live acts in the world. She spent the bulk of their set playing in a puddle and wasn't interested in watching the band as it is just a band playing so there is nothing to see (the only band she watched at all was Tame Impala who had a psychedelic screen saver like thing on the big screen instead of the band itself). She kept getting increasingly agitated and wanting to go and get food instead of staying to watch the one act she did want to see. It took me the bulk of the set to work out she just there to see Tick Tick Boom, and really wanted them to just play that song over and over for an hour, and when they weren't doing it she was just disappointed. In the end they closed with it, and she was very excited, got up and danced, and as it was a very extended version, even dragged me into the the middle of the crowd for the last bit.

We had to leave 2/3 of the way through Arcade Fire's set as she was so cold she was shivering (I also ended up badly sun burnt, which is regarded as a typical Melbourne day), but given I had seen them two days previous I wasn't upset by it.

So in the end I saw quite a few bands where I wasn't part of the crowd, couldn't really see the band, and just had to listen to the music. Is it worth doing that? Probably not though I still had fun. Seeing a band live is either about the spectacle on stage or the collective enjoyment with other fans, and without either of those things you might as well be watching the concert on tv.

More
28 Jan 2014 23:04 #170890 by KingPut
Ancient of MuMu thanks for sharing your concert story. It was a great read. My 15 year old daughter sounds a lot like your 9 year old. Music can be a great bond between a dad and their daughters especially one on the spectrum. I've even learned to live with my daughter play the same song way to many times. Wishing your wife a quick and full recovery.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ancient_of_MuMu

More
30 Jan 2014 14:08 #171011 by MattFantastic
Your daughter has great taste too.

Over the last year or two I've been slowly getting back to being a part of the music scene like I once was. As of late I've been getting out to 1-4 shows a week for the last few months and seeing so many bands all the time. It's weird in that I'm no longer doing a label or touring or anything so I'm just going to hang out and see friends and bands. I've seen a couple bands that my first thought was about how I wanted to talk to them more about doing a record for them and then remembered that I don't put out records any more haha. I'm also a spoiled (and broke) dick and won't go to a show that's more than $10 if I'm not on someone's list so I've missed a few shows I would have otherwise gone to see but can't justify paying a bunch for. Like I really wanted to go see the Pixies last week but it was like $75 so fuck that.

More
30 Jan 2014 16:15 #171017 by the_jake_1973
Rev. Horton Heat is coming back around the Grand Rapids area and this time with The Creepshow. I am quite excited.

More
21 Feb 2014 10:45 #172252 by Josh Look
Just got Arcade Fire tickets on Groupon, of all things. $32 a ticket.

More
22 Feb 2014 05:34 #172281 by KingPut

Josh Look wrote: Just got Arcade Fire tickets on Groupon, of all things. $32 a ticket.

Bridgeport, CT March 18th? for $32 very nice! I'm looking at the August 17th show in Washington DC. I haven't pulled the trigger yet. August just seems so far away.

More
22 Feb 2014 08:36 #172284 by Josh Look
I was going to wait for the one in August up in Mansfield, MA, but yeah, it's a bit too far out.

More
22 Feb 2014 10:12 #172287 by hotseatgames
Went to see a band that features two people who were in karate with me when I was a kid. The lead guitarist is the guy responsible for my mad nunchaku skilz. They sounded pretty good, and my friend turned out to be a very good guitarist. He even had the balls to play Eruption and pretty much pulled it off.

As a side note, the bar happened to be having a Mardi Gras party. Women kept lifting their shirts. I should get out more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75

More
23 Feb 2014 16:52 #172323 by Manolito

the_jake_1973 wrote: Rev. Horton Heat is coming back around the Grand Rapids area and this time with The Creepshow. I am quite excited.

I saw Reverend Horton Heat in a small place in Paris in 1994 for "The liquor in the front" tour, it was the last shows with the original drummer. It was a very great show, but it was too the most brutal show i went to. Not so much for the music, but for some members of the audience who were punching and kicking very hard everybody around ! Great show yet, great memories !

In 2013, I saw Neil Young and Crazy Horse (a good show I Thought), a bit too experimental for the audience, but a very interesting show anyway.

Saw (what's left of) The Who for a complete Quadrophenia show too, it was very good too. Great guitar by Pete, great charisma and vocals by Daltrey.

I saw Black Sabbath a few months ago and I was not disappointed ! Great Black Sabbath sound, great setlist, great music all around. The guys looked pleased to be around and still kicking after all the years. Very nice...

So in one year, I just saw three most legendary guitar players !

I should have seen Motorhead yesterday, but the show was concealed because of Lemmy's Health problems (it already happened this autumn). :( I already saw them twice but, hey, you can never go wrong with the old Motor, can you ?

Next show programmed is Ennio Morricone in the (antic) arena in Nimes this summer. I cant' wait !

I should see the Toy Dolls too. I saw them twice before, and was not sorry...

More
20 Mar 2014 11:37 #173998 by Josh Look
I went to that Arcade Fire show the other night.

If any you AF fans around here were on the fence about going to see them on this tour, do it. I don't know what they have planned for the tour once it resumes, but as far the first leg goes, it's a damned good time.

They had two openers, one a DJ who had done work for Yo Gabba Gabba and wasn't afraid to play his "Hands Open Hands Closed" song. Second dude was a one man electronic act who got the crowd dancing in some pretty ingenious was. Before Arcade Fire got on, it was clear that this was going to be a much more fun time than you'd think Arcade Fire capable of. When they did get on, they kept it very lively, not too many of their more somber tunes. With an arena full of people and not a one of them not dancing, the "formal attire or costume" request works in a weird way.

And is it ever a spectacle. All sorts of weird stuff that shouldn't have worked but totally do. I might catch them again when they hit MA this summer.

More
20 Mar 2014 13:49 #174009 by repoman
So your "My Little Pony" tux was met with approval?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.287 seconds