October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOOK(s) are you reading?

More
28 Nov 2011 04:19 #108612 by metalface13
I finished Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny this week. A Zelazny classic I'd missed over the years. There are a couple others of his I should track down. Anyways, interesting use of Hinduism and Buddhism in a scifi yarn. Also helped inspire an advertising campaign I'm working on for my portfolio class.

It seemed like I read something before that, but I can't think what it was. I did have to read The Thank You Economy for class which is all about where companies are supposed to be headed: Internet based exceptional customer caring. Some businesses get it, some don't. It was OK, filled with some "duh" moments and "that's cool moments" and starts to repeat itself toward the end.

I'm starting to reread Seventh Son by Orson Scott Card as it's been a long long time since I've read it and the wife never has. Funny how much of it is based around Joseph Smith.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Nov 2011 14:19 #108920 by Chapel
I'm still barreling through all of Asimov's Foundation books. I read them piecemeal years ago, and I really wanted to read them in order. I'm on Foundation's Edge now. Then I'll probably return to the Horus Heresy, which I finished Galaxy in Flames: The heresy revealed. So much to read, so little time.

More
30 Nov 2011 14:39 - 30 Nov 2011 19:24 #108923 by Columbob
SPOILERS for DANCE WITH DRAGONS!

Warning: Spoiler!

Edited for spoiler tags which I didn't find before.
Last edit: 30 Nov 2011 19:24 by Columbob.

More
30 Nov 2011 15:00 #108916 by Dair
I finished Philip Dick's A Scanner Darkly. Very good read, although I might actually like the movie better. Hard to say really, as I saw the movie first. I have found I often enjoy the first version I am exposed to in the majority of cases. I think it is because some of the wonder and unknown in lost in the later version. Either way, read or watch it, because it is a good one.

I started Ender's Game and am just a bit in. I have always heard fantastic things about this book and I am excited by the start. Are any of the sequels worthwhile, or just a case of cashing in without actually being good?

More
30 Nov 2011 15:25 #108931 by jeb
We have spoiler tags for a reason. Use them. So good.

For non-fiction, I recommend THE EMPEROR OF ALL MALADIES, which is about cancer and is amazing.

More
30 Nov 2011 18:01 - 30 Nov 2011 18:02 #108955 by mikecl
Re: Dance with Dragons. I bought and finished it right after it came out and it's a far better read than Book Four: A Feast for Crows. I agree I don't think he's going to get it done in two and I wonder whether given his age, he will actually get the story finished at all.

Still, I've really enjoyed it so far.

I'm currently reading Freefall, the book commissioned by FFG and set in the universe of Kevin Wilson's "Android."

It's an ok, but not stellar read but my love of the game is keeping me in it. I like cyberpunk sci-fi to and love the Bladerunneresque theme. It is a little simple for my tastes but hey we all have our guilty pleasures.
Last edit: 30 Nov 2011 18:02 by mikecl.

More
30 Nov 2011 18:15 #108959 by jeb
Just a clarification. There are two ways to hide text here in the forums.

The first is Hidden Text, which you can see just fine. It uses the [
Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

More
30 Nov 2011 18:21 #108962 by OldHippy
I just re-read Foundation recently too, last year I think. I love that series.

I'm reading Too Fat To Fish by Artie Lang right now. Fuck is that guy messed up, I'm mainly looking for more good Norm Macdonald stories (there's dozens of them on podcasts and shit) but I like Artie too. Completely classless and self destructive but entertaining and he tells a good yarn.

More
30 Nov 2011 19:14 #108968 by Dair
Glad to see the Foundation love. I ripped the first book to my iTunes and it is next on my list to listen to. I will be looking forward to it.

More
30 Nov 2011 19:21 #108969 by Ska_baron
Foundation - huh.

I love me some Asimov and heard great things about this series, but after reading Prelude to Foundation I was left scratching my head as to it's reputation. Just a bad start or maybe just not my thing?

More
30 Nov 2011 19:25 - 30 Nov 2011 19:26 #108970 by Columbob

jeb wrote: Just a clarification. There are two ways to hide text here in the forums.

The first is Hidden Text, which you can see just fine. It uses the [
Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Shit, I was sure I hit the spoiler button, and found it funny that the tag text said "hide". Thanks for clearing that up.

Ok, to keep things in context, I'm reading a novel on Alexander the Great, written by some Eye-talian dude.
Last edit: 30 Nov 2011 19:26 by Columbob.

More
30 Nov 2011 19:26 #108971 by Dair

Ska_baron wrote: Foundation - huh.

I love me some Asimov and heard great things about this series, but after reading Prelude to Foundation I was left scratching my head as to it's reputation. Just a bad start or maybe just not my thing?

Wasn't that written after, as a prequel? I am always wary of those stories and usually try to read things in the order they were published. Maybe I'm wrong here, but maybe a reading of the series is necessary to really enjoy it.

More
30 Nov 2011 19:33 #108973 by OldHippy

wdgrant wrote:

Wasn't that written after, as a prequel? I am always wary of those stories and usually try to read things in the order they were published. Maybe I'm wrong here, but maybe a reading of the series is necessary to really enjoy it.

Yes, it's a prequel and not quite as good. But once your hooked into the series reading them in the order they were written. It's hard to resist and makes more sense too.

More
30 Nov 2011 19:51 #108976 by Egg Shen
I just started checking out The Hunger Games to see what the big fuss was about. So far I have been pleasantly surprised. While it is considered a young adult book it has some pretty intense shit going on in it. Part of the reason I enjoy it so much is because it falls into that strange sub-genre of "the most dangerous game meets reality TV gone too far". I'm such a sucker for anything like that...The Running Man, Death Race 2000, that episode of the Incredible Hulk where that dumb shit tries to hunt David Banner! The Hunger Games is really in my wheelhouse in terms of plot devices that I enjoy. I hope the rest of the book (and series) turns out to be good.

I also got a Kindle Fire last week. I'm reading The Hunger Games on it and this is my first experience with an E-book. To be honest I don't think I could use the thing without having the leather case. With the case I can hold it like a real book and that makes all the difference for some reason. Overall the Fire is a neat device that I'm still familiarizing myself with. The addition of apps is neat, plus with my amazon prime membership I have access to TONS of free movies/TV shows. Sitting in bed and surfing the net is awesome. So far, I'm pretty happy with it. Anyone get one of these yet?

More
30 Nov 2011 20:02 #108978 by Ska_baron

JonJacob wrote:

wdgrant wrote:

Yes, it's a prequel and not quite as good. But once your hooked into the series reading them in the order they were written. It's hard to resist and makes more sense too.

Damn! I just saw it listed as "the first book" or something. What's the right order?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.360 seconds