October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What COMICS have you been reading? ARCHIVE

More
10 Jan 2011 09:02 #83938 by Dair
Justin Hankins wrote:

I just read Charles Burns' new one, "X'ed Out". I got into him through the excellent "Black Hole", which is damn weird, but Xed Out makes Black Hole look like Peanuts.

Also, I highly recommend "City of Glass", the comic version of Paul Auster's goofed up re-imagining of a hardboiled detective novel. Dave Mazuchelli illustrated it and it's beautiful to look at!

Thanks for mentioning "X'ed Out." I missed it somehow and love Burns' work.

As an aside, Jason Lutes, you wouldn't be the same person who is writing "Berlin," would you?
The topic has been locked.
More
10 Jan 2011 09:48 #83949 by Jason Lutes
Yeah, that's me.
More
10 Jan 2011 10:06 #83952 by Chapel
Jason Lutes wrote:

Yeah, that's me.

No shit? I've read that series years ago, and never made that connection. Good stuff.

So working on any recent projects?
More
10 Jan 2011 13:04 #83988 by Dair
Jason Lutes wrote:

Yeah, that's me.

I have really enjoyed Berlin ever since I discovered it a few years ago. I have the last three issues and haven't read them yet. I want to find a block of time to reread the entire series. Great stuff. I found Jar of Fools after starting Berlin and really enjoyed it as well.
More
10 Jan 2011 13:06 #83990 by Jason Lutes
Chapel wrote:

No shit? I've read that series years ago, and never made that connection. Good stuff.

So working on any recent projects?

'

Thanks, man. Believe it or not, Berlin is still ongoing. I've been working on it for... arg, 15 years now. Hoping to have the whole thing done before the Mayan Apocalypse. It's being released as a trilogy, the first two volumes of which are currently in print.

The only other comics-related thing I'm doing these days (besides teaching people how to make them during my day job) is edit a line of comics for Disney/Hyperion aimed at middle school readers. I wrote the first one, which was about Houdini.
More
10 Jan 2011 13:09 #83991 by Jason Lutes
wdgrant wrote:

I have really enjoyed Berlin ever since I discovered it a few years ago. I have the last three issues and haven't read them yet. I want to find a block of time to reread the entire series. Great stuff. I found Jar of Fools after starting Berlin and really enjoyed it as well.

Thanks! That's great to hear.
More
10 Jan 2011 13:12 #83992 by OldHippy
Jason Lutes wrote:

Yeah, that's me.

I also never made the connection, don't know how I missed it. I own the first two books of that. Great work! Jar of Fools too! I hear Chris Ware is a fan, that's pretty awesome. You might be the best known Fattie around.
More
10 Jan 2011 23:18 #84069 by MattFantastic
I just read Marvel 1602. It's awesome. If you think it's going to be totally dumb based on the whole premise, then I dunno, maybe it will be too much for your feeble mind, but if you like good stuff, you'll dig it. It helps to have a good working knowledge of the Marvel universe too.
More
10 Jan 2011 23:24 #84071 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I made the connection on our Jason to his comic work a couple of months ago but kept silent as I felt like an idiot for not making it earlier. Good to know I am not alone.
More
11 Jan 2011 04:52 #84097 by schlupp
I got the two Berlin books for Christmas (finally!), but haven't found the time to read them yet. I'm German and I lived in Berlin for a couple of years, so I'm really looking forward to the read.
More
11 Jan 2011 09:06 #84108 by Dair
MattLoter wrote:

I just read Marvel 1602. It's awesome. If you think it's going to be totally dumb based on the whole premise, then I dunno, maybe it will be too much for your feeble mind, but if you like good stuff, you'll dig it. It helps to have a good working knowledge of the Marvel universe too.

1602 is a good one that I haven't read in years. Usually, anything by Neil Gaiman is good in my book. My wife has been on a binge of his non-comics work lately. Sandman is the ultimate gateway comic that I use to show people that "Comics aren't just for kids anymore." Unfortunately, I then have to tell them that any comic they read will be hard pressed to live up to that high bar.
More
11 Jan 2011 23:43 #84280 by Jason Lutes
Schlupp wrote:

I got the two Berlin books for Christmas (finally!), but haven't found the time to read them yet. I'm German and I lived in Berlin for a couple of years, so I'm really looking forward to the read.

I hope you like 'em, Schlupp. Feel free to complain loudly here if you don't :)
More
13 Jan 2011 10:49 #84459 by jay718
.I certainly enjoyed Sandman and 1602 was a lot of fun as well, but I'd have to say that I like American Gods head and shoulders above anything Gaiman's done in the comic medium. I might say the same of Neverwhere, but I think I'd have to re-read it beforehand.

Picked up the Fall and Winter Mouseguard hardcovers at The Strand (So glad they have a comics dept. now) for dirt cheap the other day. Great read. I think Archaia might be my favorite indie publisher.
More
18 Jan 2011 16:22 #85079 by Dr. Mabuse
Picked up Walt & Skeezix vol.2 at the library (I need to find vol.1 now). It's a multi-volume collection of the "Gasoline Alley" strips (by Frank O. King) that started in 1921.

Wow. This is quickly becoming my one of favourite comic strips, ever.This was a wonderfully illustrated and tenderly written story about Walt a garage mechanic and bachelor who tries to adopt Skeezix a baby boy (2 years old at this point) who was left on his doorstep . I can't remember the last time I teared up while reading a comic strip, perhaps Jimmy Corrigan (which is interesting as Chris Ware has put this collection together.)

Not a moment is insipid, trite or exaggerated. Walt's love for Skeezix is so heartrendingly true and honest that as a parent I can't help but feel it's authenticity.

The illustrations are simple, clean and yet bursting with emotion. Beautiful subtle moments are captured deftly, like in one instance where Walt is holding Skeezix and having a conversation with one of the Gang. King shows Skeezix impatience with being held and simply says in a small speech balloon underneath the conversation "Dow'" In the next panel, he repeats himself "Dow'",this time King shows Skeezix's his little body arched in the way little ones do. The last panel he's gone and the main conversation/punchline wraps up.

Beautiful.

Reading these also make me miss Calvin and Hobbes a lot.
More
18 Jan 2011 16:43 #85081 by OldHippy
jay718 wrote:

.I certainly enjoyed Sandman and 1602 was a lot of fun as well, but I'd have to say that I like American Gods head and shoulders above anything Gaiman's done in the comic medium. I might say the same of Neverwhere, but I think I'd have to re-read it beforehand.

I always thought that American Gods was basically the same story as Sandman or at the very least had far too many similarities. It may be executed better then Sandman (although personally I don't think so) but it is soooo derivative that it's hard to appreciate as much. It also does far less for the medium of novels then Sandman does for the medium of comics. I enjoyed both though.

Anthony.. that was a fantastic post. I need to read this Waltz and Skeezix stuff.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds