October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
28 Jun 2017 07:56 #250531 by JEM
Getting soured really quickly on Forza Horizon 3. I unlocked the off-road area, and now the streets of Surfer's Paradise are covered in essentially super powered golf carts and HOT WHEELS cars. Fucking hot wheels cars. I mean, I know that immersion went out of the window somewhere over a hill off a solar farm at 100mph in a Torano, but that's too much. I dunno.

I had my "new style gamer crybaby" experience of the week when I started up Nier Automata. I died on the second boss battle, and the game was all, "Whelp. You lost. Do it all again and suck less." I got past that eventually and onto the first save point. I'm holding off on playing further for now because I know it's a game that is going to take a hundred hours to fully explore.

I got Dishonored 2 in a sale, and did the first area (escape the town), and so far I like it quite a bit. The whole non-lethal conceit stretches credulity somewhat, and it's all very gamified, but that's OK. Each moment presents a puzzle with various apparent routes to progress. Of course it could all go downhill from here, but so far, so good.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2017 11:03 #250545 by jeb

JEM wrote: Getting soured really quickly on Forza Horizon 3. I unlocked the off-road area, and now the streets of Surfer's Paradise are covered in essentially super powered golf carts and HOT WHEELS cars. Fucking hot wheels cars. I mean, I know that immersion went out of the window somewhere over a hill off a solar farm at 100mph in a Torano, but that's too much. I dunno.

I had my "new style gamer crybaby" experience of the week when I started up Nier Automata. I died on the second boss battle, and the game was all, "Whelp. You lost. Do it all again and suck less." I got past that eventually and onto the first save point. I'm holding off on playing further for now because I know it's a game that is going to take a hundred hours to fully explore.

I got Dishonored 2 in a sale, and did the first area (escape the town), and so far I like it quite a bit. The whole non-lethal conceit stretches credulity somewhat, and it's all very gamified, but that's OK. Each moment presents a puzzle with various apparent routes to progress. Of course it could all go downhill from here, but so far, so good.

Haha, at NIER. I am on the second big boss in BLOODBORNE and I am going to have to call in outside help. I have gone at him about.... 40 times? And I got him down to a 25% once. And probably 33% another five times. Just such an asskicking. Now I just need to hope that having someone join my game doesn't give them points for griefing me and making it all worse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
28 Jun 2017 11:21 #250546 by Gary Sax
Bloodborne helpers are generally very helpful, there's nothing to be gained from griefing and you miss out on the benefits you gain if you help your coop partner win. Father Gascoine? Remember that what that fight is trying to teach you is parrying with your gun. He has a pretty decent sized gap to stagger him with.

I could go on and on about that game (platinumed it). The lore in it is SO good. The DLC fills in almost all the rest of the lore.

Let me know if you really need help and can't find a cooperator. I can dust off my dude and you can send me a cooperator code. They autolevel cooperators down. Also, IIRC they patched in AI cooperators with the DLC. You could use one. That fight is a LOT easier w/2 but tough with 1.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
28 Jun 2017 11:30 #250547 by jeb

Gary Sax wrote: Bloodborne helpers are generally very helpful, there's nothing to be gained from griefing and you miss out on the benefits you gain if you help your coop partner win. Father Gascoine? Remember that what that fight is trying to teach you is parrying with your gun. He has a pretty decent sized gap to stagger him with.

I could go on and on about that game (platinumed it). The lore in it is SO good. The DLC fills in almost all the rest of the lore.

Let me know if you really need help and can't find a cooperator. I can dust off my dude and you can send me a cooperator code. They autolevel cooperators down. Also, IIRC they patched in AI cooperators with the DLC. You could use one. That fight is a LOT easier w/2 but tough with 1.

I have DARK SOULS fears of other players joining the game. It's not always an awesome experience. Hmm, check that—it was an awesome experience, but they weren't trying to help me. One of the coolest things that has happened to me in a video game since I bombed the floor in Norfair in 1986.

More
28 Jun 2017 12:25 #250551 by celticgriffon

hotseatgames wrote: Thanks to the steam summer sale, I've been playing quite a lot lately, with even more to come.

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes - Finally something to do with my Vive. This is neat, and really requires a cool head and clear communication abilities in order to describe either what you are seeing or how the defuser should go about his / her business.

Damn I think this game is cool. Really need to get a copy and print out the manuals. It would be a great Games Day activity or even a team building thing at work.

More
28 Jun 2017 13:38 #250556 by Chaz
I'm actually playing Bloodborne for the first time myself. I'm handicapping myself because I refuse to pay for PS+ right now, so I don't have the option to pull in real help. I bashed my face against Father G for a while, but eventually got past him. Then I bashed my face against the optional boss after him for close to a week, then gave up and bought my way past him. I'll go back and take him out later, after I've had a chance to level up enough that I can end the fight faster.

Last night, I was working through a new area, carrying about 9k souls. I opened a shortcut, opened a big cathedral door, and found a staircase leading to a big open area. My boss sense tingled, and I ran back to the lantern to cash the hell in. I've done the "get a bunch of souls, then stumble into a boss and lose everything" deal before, and it sucks so hard.

JEM - Don't be afraid to knock the difficulty on NIer down. I don't think there's any negative consequences, and that game is well worth seeing all the way through path E. Also, if you're dying a bunch, don't forget to pick up and re-equip your chips when you find your body again. Those make a bigger difference than you'd think.

More
28 Jun 2017 14:00 #250558 by JEM

Chaz wrote: JEM - Don't be afraid to knock the difficulty on NIer down. I don't think there's any negative consequences, and that game is well worth seeing all the way through path E. Also, if you're dying a bunch, don't forget to pick up and re-equip your chips when you find your body again. Those make a bigger difference than you'd think.

I'll be fine. I didn't get far enough to have any chips. I literally died in the prologue (W ending). I know there's a huge game waiting for me, and I have a friend online who has over 70 hours into the game on his PS4 telling me the same things. It was more a bit of self-deprecating levity referencing the debate in the Nintendo thread about when games were real challenges. (In my day we had to play games with our hands nailed to the floor, but we were grateful...)

More
28 Jun 2017 14:13 #250559 by Chaz
For reference, I think I was at about 40 hours when I finished ending E. I definitely bypassed a lot of side quests, and I intend to go back and pick some of those up again, but you can get through the meat of the game in a reasonable amount of time (by RPG standards).
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
28 Jun 2017 19:01 #250576 by Jauron
My son and I are playing Super Meat Boy together. We're on the last light world level and making progress. Finished maybe 20-30% of the dark world levels. This game is old school nintendo hard, but more forgiving on progress.It's the first game he's really wanted to finish, and I hope it's a sign of things to come. The game itself is fun but soul crushing at times. I probably would have given up if he hadn't kept pushing me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Cranberries

More
28 Jun 2017 19:46 #250583 by hotseatgames
I saw only a small fraction of Super Meat Boy. That game demands a level of patience and coordination I lost decades ago.

More
29 Jun 2017 12:59 #250624 by SuperflyPete
Elite Dangerous Horizons all the time when i play anything, still. Now have a bad ass mining rig (which is arguably also a sleep aid...I literally fell asleep while mining) which is great to get 3M$ in an hour and a half. Also have a murderous Vulture rig for killing other players who have bounties. Finally, and probably most interestingly, I have a little cargo ship with planet landers for collecting goodies.

That last bit is only interesting because I <<hated>> the lander controls so much that I refused to bother with it. Then I had a bit of an epiphany ... you can change the controls. Now, it's like playing San Francisco Rush. It's absurdly fun in a "mindless fun" kind of way. I hate the ground radar system but it's still OK
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
29 Jun 2017 19:18 #250643 by Colorcrayons
I've just bought Nioh.

Tough as hell. Its like trying to win combat playing Thief. I had no idea of the similarity between it and dark souls before now.

Thinking about selling it since that gameplay isn't y culpa, but the theme surrounding it is double plus good. I love sengoku period.

More
29 Jun 2017 22:09 #250658 by Gary Sax
Jeb's talk inspired me to start playing the Dark Souls 3 DLC which I hadn't played because I tried the first one and it was a bit underwhelming. I forgot I platinumed the game, which means my main is level 150 and on New Game ++. I was in a real state of mind last year that only repetitive tasks would heal. I don't know that I would grind out stuff that way now.

More
14 Jul 2017 16:30 #251204 by SebastianBludd
I just finished Another Metroid 2 Remake, an independent game that's an updated and reinterpreted version of Metroid 2 from the Gameboy. It's done in the style of Super Metroid or Metroid Fusion and it's so polished and well-realized that one could easily mistake it for an official release. Highly recommended for any fan of 2D Metroid games.

Last night I fired up Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth after a lengthy hiatus. That game was weird and buggy on PC under the best of circumstances and things haven't gotten any better under Windows 7/8/10. We're talking weird shit like the game crashing if you hit Escape to access the menu and the inventory menu taking 30 seconds to fully display. I normally wouldn't even bother but it's not like the PC is suffering from an abundance of Lovecraft FPS adventure games, plus it has a really cool atmosphere. At least it runs, however, and today I downloaded a tweak guide and three fan-made patches that are supposed to fix most of the problems.

More
14 Jul 2017 16:37 #251205 by Black Barney
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.508 seconds