October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
26 Sep 2017 14:12 #254830 by boothwah
Also trying Oxenfree, because it was free, and because it is totally my oldest daughters vibe, so I downloaded it on a night when I was missing the her. It's a very interesting way to tell a story. It's not really a game. The vibe and the voice acting and the weirdness have me at least interested enough to finish it.

Playing some Marvel Heroes Omega - Why hasn't there been an AAA Marvel title (discounting Lego obviously) since like Ultimate Alliance? Instead, this Diablo 3 reskin is all that's out there if you want to play as Scarlet Witch or Rocket Raccoon and beat up waves of baddies. And the company that is running it, Gazillion, is so over even trying to be the least bit opaque in their biweekly cash grab moves. The game crashes frequently, there are huge loading bugs, and the biweekly updates to add more stuff to sell break the game on a regular basis. And somehow I've probably sunk like 20 hours into it, but now I'm trying out Path of Exile.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2017 14:20 #254832 by the_jake_1973

hotseatgames wrote: I can't recall any game, ever, that had flying enemies that didn't suck.

Dragon's Dogma had decent flying enemies.

More
26 Sep 2017 14:32 #254833 by ThirstyMan
I acquired Cryptark for next to nothing on a Humble Bundle sale.

Great Indie space game but it's really a heist game. Limited ammo and roving AI drones seek to stop you stripping a derelict ship down to its bones and making casharoony BUT you have a map (sensor sweep) of the entire ship so you can plan your attack. Take out the alarm system first or the self repair system or the drone factory? Take out the core to finish your scavenge run. Faster you do it the more money you get. However, it's a rogue like so if you die, you die. Object is to use the money to tool up and eventually scavenge the REALLY big mofo 'boss'. This one has repair systems which are shield protected, nuclear protection on the systems (so when you blow them up they REALLY blow), alarms and trip wires up the ass and bloody millions of drone factories that teleport drones to your location every 10s. This is what Indie games should be like. Recommended. Available on Steam. Oh there's alien artefacts to be found in the wrecks as well, suitably protected of course.

More
26 Sep 2017 17:43 #254845 by hotseatgames
I've finished world 1 of Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. This is a fantastic game, and it's best described as "my first X-Com". You have squad management but no base building and no permadeath.

My wish is that they apply this system to an Animal Crossing game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
26 Sep 2017 19:11 #254849 by Gary Sax
I've heard it gets a LOT harder

More
27 Sep 2017 08:57 #254870 by lj1983
Fortnite Battle Royale went free to play yesterday, so spent a little bit playing with that. It is definitely lower on content compared to PUBG and has a significantly smaller map. but the building aspect that fornite brings is a fun twist, and it actually exists on consoles is a big plus. The smaller maps while still having 100 players makes it quite a bit more frantic to start off with, but it'll hold me over until PUBG releases on consoles.

More
28 Sep 2017 07:59 #254927 by hotseatgames
I checked out a demo on the Switch of a game called Project Octopath. It's a JRPG that features 8 different characters, each with their own path through the story. The look of it is really neat; it's a 3D world but all the characters are sprites and you don't control the camera. It uses depth of field to add a soft focus to things, and it just looks neat.

The game itself seems to be pretty standard stuff, and wow, do they make you sit through a ton of dialog.

Today, Golf Story releases on the Switch. Golf game + RPG... sign me up.

More
28 Sep 2017 11:11 #254946 by jeb

hotseatgames wrote: Today, Golf Story releases on the Switch. Golf game + RPG... sign me up.

I want weekly updates on this shit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
28 Sep 2017 16:31 #254973 by Hex Sinister
Sounds interesting. Funny, I was just thinking about golf today because I drove by the course and laughed at this guy in the heavy rough behind the trees. He looked so aggrevated and I totally understand how that feels. I can't swing the stick for shit either.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
28 Sep 2017 21:40 #254987 by hotseatgames
I've played the first section of Golf Story. It's a simple golf game, laid over top a Stardew Valley framework. You don't have any crafting or anything like that; you go around and talk to various people, compete in golf challenges, do simple tasks for them, etc. This gets you money that you can spend on equipment (there is regular golf, and there also appears to be disc golf and miniature golf), and you get XP. This levels up 5 stats related to your golfing ability. Interestingly enough, as you add to your Power stat, you gain max yardage, but your accuracy goes down, so you have to temper how many points you apply to power by applying points to your precision attributes.

The golfing is fun and not serious in tone; for example, there are asshole gophers on the course, and if you land the ball within their radius, they steal it and drop it somewhere else. In general, this "somewhere else" is not helpful to you.

You can also simply drop a ball and hit it ANY time you like. This includes beaning people at random. A mom wanted her son to get out of the water. I solved this problem for her by cracking him in the head with a nice chip shot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Hex Sinister

More
04 Oct 2017 11:54 #255230 by Disgustipater
In an effort to work through some of my Steam backlog, I’ve been playing some shorter games in-between PUBG sessions. Most recently it has been Flywrench. A high difficulty 2D platformer like Super Meat Boy, but without the platforming. You work your way from Pluto inward, each planet has ~20 levels each. I kind of breezed through most of the game but as soon as I got to Mercury, I hit a wall. Hard. After banging my head against the third level for quite a while, I skipped to the next level and had the same problem. I’ll still give it some time, but since I’ve completed more than 90% of the game, I wouldn’t feel too bad if I stopped.

More
10 Oct 2017 18:22 #255468 by Vlad
So, guys, a question, is Diablo III appropriate for a 7 year old? Or rather, how inappropriate it is on a scale of 1 to 10?

Thing is, my son is playing skylanders swap team on his Ipad. He has almost beaten the game using just the initial 2 characters, so I think he's pretty good. I'd like to play with him, but I so don't want to go back to Skylanders again. And I like Diablo 3, but never could get past the boredom of playing by myself.

More
10 Oct 2017 18:44 #255471 by jeb

Vlad wrote: So, guys, a question, is Diablo III appropriate for a 7 year old? Or rather, how inappropriate it is on a scale of 1 to 10?

Thing is, my son is playing skylanders swap team on his Ipad. He has almost beaten the game using just the initial 2 characters, so I think he's pretty good. I'd like to play with him, but I so don't want to go back to Skylanders again. And I like Diablo 3, but never could get past the boredom of playing by myself.

Inappropriate? Like 7 out of 10? Somewhere in there. It's gross . All kinds of gore and nastiness. Guts, exploding fat guys, blood everywhere. The Spider Lady wants to fuck you, that's pretty obvious in the voiceover. Teeny little titties on them succubi, &c. The cinematics look amazing, but they are pretty intense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
10 Oct 2017 19:17 #255475 by Vlad
Oh, a 7 is definitely not good. I thought it was supposed to be more cartoonish than the other 2.
I played it for a couple of hours about a year ago, but don't remember anything.

More
10 Oct 2017 21:57 #255483 by Sevej
So, here's the funny thing I discovered during last weekend.

I love GTA Vice City. I tried playing other GTA (3, San Andreas, 4), but they never click like Vice City. Then I realized why. In Vice City, the mission first mission I visit a colone's yacht, see some of the city's bigwigs, and drive the colonel's daughter with a sportscar to a club. That feels... rich. I still do petty things, but the NPCs are classy. Even my lowliest contact is a lawyer.

Playing San Andreas last weekend made me realize this. I am doing shitty jobs, surrounded by shitty people. Does this count as racist? I do hope the game get better and my homies get more development.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.688 seconds