October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
10 Oct 2017 22:59 #255485 by jeb

Sevej wrote: So, here's the funny thing I discovered during last weekend.

I love GTA Vice City. I tried playing other GTA (3, San Andreas, 4), but they never click like Vice City. Then I realized why. In Vice City, the mission first mission I visit a colone's yacht, see some of the city's bigwigs, and drive the colonel's daughter with a sportscar to a club. That feels... rich. I still do petty things, but the NPCs are classy. Even my lowliest contact is a lawyer.

Playing San Andreas last weekend made me realize this. I am doing shitty jobs, surrounded by shitty people. Does this count as racist? I do hope the game get better and my homies get more development.

They do get more developed, to be sure. But the games are exploring very different criminal genres. VICE CITY is cocaine-riddled Miami scene. Money was everywhere. SAN ANDREAS is looking at crack-addled Los Angeles. Misery was everywhere. I won't try to unpack this vis-a-vis racism, but the games definitely make a statement about how cocaine impacted America in different ways depending on where and how you lived.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2017 01:57 #255489 by Sevej
Ah, thanks for the insight. I wasn't asking whether the game is being racist, but whether am I being racist...

More
11 Oct 2017 08:20 - 11 Oct 2017 08:23 #255493 by Black Barney
Hehe, not at all. It's ok to find nicer things enjoyable. I preferred Call of Duty missions on ships and skyrises to those in favelas in South America

Here's the potential racist part: I was more trigger happy in the favela as opposed to the airport in Russia where I would check my targets before firing. Remember those kids in City of God? Yeah, I wasted those motherfuckers
Last edit: 11 Oct 2017 08:23 by Black Barney.

More
11 Oct 2017 09:00 #255494 by hotseatgames
I've been playing Resident Evil 0 on PC. I never played it back when it came out on Gamecube. I'm actually enjoying it more than I should.

These old Resident Evil games follow the same formula over and over...
1. kill zombies
2. find locked door
3. find key to door on opposite end of map
4. you picked up the key, triggering more zombies

And that's okay, I'm having a decent time, even as it makes me appreciate the advances that games have made in the time since this game was made.

Albert Wesker is a jerk.

More
11 Oct 2017 09:10 #255495 by Legomancer

Vlad wrote: Oh, a 7 is definitely not good. I thought it was supposed to be more cartoonish than the other 2.
I played it for a couple of hours about a year ago, but don't remember anything.

Consider Torchlight. Similar gameplay, more cartoony artwork.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Frohike

More
11 Oct 2017 09:48 #255500 by Black Barney
Oh man, I've always wanted to play Resident Evil 0 (after loving RE1 so much) but I don't want someone to walk in on me when I'm playing using Rebecca in her alternative cheerleader costume.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
11 Oct 2017 11:00 #255503 by hotseatgames
Ha! I was looking at her inventory and found the costumes. She has some weird leather outfit and something else, might have been a cheerleader. I kept her in her STARS gear.

More
11 Oct 2017 11:49 #255505 by jeb

Legomancer wrote:

Vlad wrote: Oh, a 7 is definitely not good. I thought it was supposed to be more cartoonish than the other 2.
I played it for a couple of hours about a year ago, but don't remember anything.

Consider Torchlight. Similar gameplay, more cartoony artwork.

Is CASTLE CRASHERS still a thing? That's fun. Maybe a little too twitchy for 7yo. TORCHLIGHT is the best recommendation (they are all good). The TRINE games are puzzly little platformers for two I think. MAGICKA series has some fun entries too, lots of funny mistakes. Again, maybe too twitchy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
18 Oct 2017 22:23 #255945 by hotseatgames
I just beat Resident Evil 0. Overall, I really enjoyed this game. It was fun to play something old, that hasn't been tainted by DLC, microtransactions, etc. Just a straight up video game. It was also fun to see the story unfold, and listen to the ridiculous dialog.

If you are a fan of Resident Evil (I only call myself a fair weather friend... I've beaten the first one, 0, and part 5) I would definitely play this, and to spare your sanity, I'd do it like this:

1. play on easy
2. if you get stuck, look it up

Why? For one, in classic RE fashion, the camera angles suck, and the controls suck. It's not "scary" to know a zombie is somewhere off-camera. It's annoying. The inventory system sucks; you constantly have to leave things behind simply because you can't carry them.

There are many times in which the "solution" makes no sense whatsoever. Here's a small example. You find a piano in a bar, and if Rebecca plays it, nothing happens. If Billy plays it, a secret door opens. WHAAAAAA? There is no indication that this is how you make this door open, nor is there any indication that there even IS a door to open. Don't be afraid to use a FAQ; your time is valuable, and Resident Evil 0 doesn't really respect your time.

7/10
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
18 Oct 2017 23:28 #255950 by Black Barney
You've never played Resident Evil 4?!?! Who are you.... Ken?!

More
18 Oct 2017 23:45 #255951 by Disgustipater
I have not played any RE games. What makes 4 so revered by everyone?

More
19 Oct 2017 07:33 #255956 by JEM
I did a stretch more in Fallout: New Vegas last night, rounding up the locals to take on the Powder Gangers. The fight was pretty brutal, possibly due to some mods I threw in, possibly due to there being no way to aim effectively. THE DOG DIED. What kind of horror-show game is this? I had to reload from before the fight for other reasons so the second time around, everyone can calm down. The pooch went safely back to the saloon. I was also given a deck of cards and the rules to the game of Caravan, but who has time to read through rules?

More
19 Oct 2017 07:47 #255957 by hotseatgames

Black Barney wrote: You've never played Resident Evil 4?!?! Who are you.... Ken?!

I know, I know.... I just have never had the opportunity. I'll pick it up at some point. There is a lot of hate for 5, but I liked 5. I also own 6... haven't looked at that one yet.

Disgustipater - RE 4 was the start of a "new" direction for the series, with better controls and pacing. At least that's my perspective, as someone who still hasn't played it.

More
19 Oct 2017 08:01 - 19 Oct 2017 08:05 #255961 by Sevej
RE4 was very, very good. Also popularized the over the shoulder perspective.

But my favorite RE was 2. Start in a city (my preferable zombie setting), and end up in a secret evil facility. Love the 2nd story mode also.
Last edit: 19 Oct 2017 08:05 by Sevej.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
19 Oct 2017 08:34 #255962 by Black Barney
6 is one of the worst games ever, skip it

5 is mostly hated because it followed 4 and isn't anywhere as good. I also liked 5.

4 is not only a perfect game but at the time it was groundbreaking. It was the first to make intelligent enemies, or "thinking" Zombies . If you barricade yourself on the second floor of a house thinking the only route to defend is the staircase, the ganados talk to each other and eventually get ladders to start coming up through the upstairs windows and the roof. If you put your laser sight on their head or in their eye, they move to the side or duck

While there was a move to be more action oriented (like RE5 continued), The horror element is still very much there. An overall sense of creepiness, and lots of terrifying enemies. The chainsaw guy with his burlap sack mask is no picnic. If he gets close enough, he's naturally a OHK. Your controller vibrates as the chainsaw hits the spinal column in your neck.

The story is good, rescuing the Presidents daughter, Ashley, is your main mission. Lots of boss fights, lots of great story-based antagonists (Salazar is a personal favourite of mine), puzzles to solve and the inevitable underground lab common to all Resident Evil games (good luck with those regenerators btw. I can still hear their breathing...)
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.504 seconds