October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
10 Dec 2017 22:20 #258887 by Sevej
Zipping through the second act of the Witcher 3. It's GREAT. I mean, the first act was slow, long, and uninteresting. The second act of the main story was packed and intense. I guess the first act was *meant* to be slow, to allow the universe sink in players' head. In retrospective, it does introduce all the background story & politics of that particular region. It's so short though, so that's maybe why it's great.

That change of act also means the game took me to Kaer Morhen, which is the whitchers' home. A giant fortress in the middle of mountains. Beautiful place. Even more beautiful than Skellige, but is a pain to traverse in. It's also quite small. It's pretty amazing to stand in a hill and see the fortress from distance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2017 13:03 #258905 by the_jake_1973
Continuing my PSVR journey, I picked up DIRT Rally. This is amazing. You feel like you are in the cockpit of the race car and the depth of field you are seeing is magnificent. I felt I could anticipate braking point better than on a flat screen.

I can't say enough how this is making me excited about console gaming again.

I was driving rally while my wife was playing her Lego game since the headset is doesn't need to broadcast to the tv.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
11 Dec 2017 15:03 #258915 by Black Barney
So it sounds like Zelda got GOTY over Odyssey. I think Odyssey should have got it but I'm okay with Zelda getting it. I know nothing of HZD but I've heard amazing things. It seems to have been snubbed, maybe that's a good thing.
Overwatch got some love which I like.

FATties here will be thrilled that Wolfenstein II got best action.
Mario & Rabbids got best strategy. I thought that was just an XCOM ripoff?
Most anticipated is Last of Us 2
Cuphead got lots of love which is great considering the effort behind it. It's gorgeous.
Best VR game has already started (is that a new category this year?) RE7 got it, which is cool, but i'm sure this category will see a ton of variety in the years ahead. I'm looking forward to the one that allows me and D.Va to go into a hot-tub together.
Best handheld was Samus Returns which surprises me. It didn't strike me as THAT strong.

anyway, i like awards as you know.

More
11 Dec 2017 15:14 #258917 by Michael Barnes
Speaking of Wolfenstein 2...it just got REALLY interesting...
Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
11 Dec 2017 15:49 - 11 Dec 2017 15:49 #258919 by hotseatgames

Black Barney wrote: Mario & Rabbids got best strategy. I thought that was just an XCOM ripoff?

Well... it's very much X-COM lite, but it has heart, is gorgeous, and probably won just because no one expected it to be good. And it is good.

The Switch is a great device.
Last edit: 11 Dec 2017 15:49 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Black Barney

More
11 Dec 2017 16:06 #258922 by Black Barney
i think it won cuz its creator cried at that convention and it went viral

More
11 Dec 2017 17:10 - 11 Dec 2017 17:10 #258923 by Gary Sax

Michael Barnes wrote: Speaking of Wolfenstein 2...it just got REALLY interesting...

Yeah, uh, definitely keep playing. Although I think the
is the most interesting and sophisticated commentary/satire. The rest is very interesting though and is trying to say something, even when it goes crazy over the top. In particular,
Last edit: 11 Dec 2017 17:10 by Gary Sax.

More
11 Dec 2017 17:23 #258925 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, I had a feeling when that segment started that "OK, _this_ is what people were talking about".

I actually had to dial the difficulty down (not all the way to baby child level though!). I wasn't having much fun getting constantly slaughtered. It's freakin' hard, man. I think it's harder than DOOM, actually. One thing that sort of stymied me is that I didn't get the suppressors until way late (stupid!), so I wound up having mass shootouts every time I could have been sneakier.

In other news...Death Stranding. Good god. I hope the gameplay lives up to that trailer. It was almost exhausting, one brilliant/incredible looking idea after another but with zero context. But it's totally Kojima-esque. I have a feeling those weird sensor things are going to be a major element. There is definitely some Forbidden Planet shit going on there too. I don't know why they don't just go ahead and announce the game's advertising slogan as "Norman Reedus Wants To Have Your Baby".

I was wondering why in the hell it's called that, it has to do with cetaceans beaching themselves. WTF. Why can't all modern video games be this fucking nuts.

More
11 Dec 2017 17:48 #258931 by Black Barney
Doom was amazing, right? It’s the highest rated shooter (first person) on Xbox one so I recommended it for my sister to buy her husband. I leaned greatly on how much you boys were talking it up

More
11 Dec 2017 17:54 #258933 by Michael Barnes
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configuration

Black Barney wrote: Doom was amazing, right? It’s the highest rated shooter (first person) on Xbox one so I recommended it for my sister to buy her husband. I leaned greatly on how much you boys were talking it up

I think it’s the best FPS I’ve ever played. Mainly because it is pretty much classic DOOM but with sky high production values, tons of content, and it’s hilariously over the top.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
11 Dec 2017 17:58 #258934 by Black Barney
Excellent. I’m sure it’ll be a hit. He’s a shooter fanatic that hates multiplayer, it’s perfect then.

More
11 Dec 2017 18:43 #258935 by Gary Sax
Gotta keep moving in Wolf II. But I do think it's a bit too hard on normal.

Kojima is ultimate love or hate. I think the metal gear games are garbage, badly written and paced. But I get that people love that shit too, so...

More
11 Dec 2017 19:28 #258941 by hotseatgames
I appreciate Kojima's style and the attention to detail. He is uncompromising and I respect that. I thought MGS V was cool as hell.

More
11 Dec 2017 19:57 #258942 by Michael Barnes
Kojima may be the only true auteur working at an AAA level. There is no one else with the singular scope of vision that he has working in the industry. Period. Yes, the writing is often obtuse, clumsy, or utter nonsense. But you've got to compare Kojima to Jodorowsky, not Spielberg. I think one of the keys to understanding what he's doing in the MGS games are the films El Topo and Holy Mountain. I saw both of these before really digging into MGS and didn't really draw the connection until years later...I had just played MGS3 (the best in the series, I think) and I was watching El Topo and it just hit me that it was the same kind of narrative approach, but mixed in with anime, John Carpenter, Bond films, mecha stuff, cyberpunk, Tom Clancy, and all kinds of cultural leverage points drawn together by this dude's authorship.

MGS5, for as good as it was, was where some of the clarity of vision started to get a little muddy- mainly because of the format. The past games had been so structured, having a more open-world, mission-based and emergent approach didn't really suit his style as much. Still a massively great game, don't get me wrong, and the Kojima stuff is still worth a million in prizes. But I actually prefer the more directorial titles in the series.

Death Stranding looks to me like he's gotten his perspective back and has more free reign than ever to do what he wants.

More
11 Dec 2017 20:15 - 11 Dec 2017 21:52 #258943 by Disgustipater
I'm playing baby mode of Wolfenstein II because my main concern is just seeing the story. I try to be stealthy but it usually doesn't work out and I just shotgun everyone in the face. I think I would get so frustrated if I was dying constantly in this game.

I finished it. Maybe it was hyped up too much, but I didn't find there to be a bunch of insane, escalating moments. There was only really one that made me say "Oh shit!"
Last edit: 11 Dec 2017 21:52 by Disgustipater.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.764 seconds