October 09, 2023
2452 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
05 Mar 2018 18:01 - 05 Mar 2018 18:04 #264600 by Jexik

Gary Sax wrote: I've heard someone else say the rust group was much easier for them too! Just goes to show you that people think differently spatially.

It also helped that I got the pilot who herself is not stopped by smoke or webs. It made her much more flexible with the jet. By the end I put her in the Repulsor and she was good there too.

I don't like the team with the laser or lightning yet. Not because of those mechs, but because their supports are so awkward. Steel Judoka have been tricky for me so far too.
Last edit: 05 Mar 2018 18:04 by Jexik.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2018 21:37 - 05 Mar 2018 21:39 #264614 by Gary Sax
The judoka have been super hard for me too. Especially in the first island, there are not many shooting vek in that one which tend to be really helpful to get your opponents to hurt each other.

Still *loving* the fire squad, beat three island with fire today. I like changing the fire bot's color to orange, it just looks better. It's hysterical that fire doesn't hurt any of the buidings. By the end of a good late game map you've got like the entire city you're "saving" up in flames, like 10-15 tiles. Cleaning up the achievements is fun in this game too, I finished up the first squad's and am going for the 4 island win with them. Also got a no damage run on one continent, which was another achievement.

This game is just easier to unlock stuff in than FTL. I actually didn't mind the unlocking process that much in FTL. Again, my only (HUGE) beef with FTL is the final boss.
Last edit: 05 Mar 2018 21:39 by Gary Sax.

More
07 Mar 2018 16:26 #264938 by Michael Barnes
Haven't really ventured far from the Switch in a while, and what with all the Batman talk lately I realized that I kind of forgot to ever play Arkham Knight. So $20 on the PSN store later...

I'm only about 3 hours in, but so far it's mostly on par with Asylum and City EXCEPT that I do not understand Rocksteady's thinking that "Hey, folks that play a Batman game really want to get into TANK BATTLES and OBSTACLE COURSES". I appreciate that the Batmobile is in the game, and there is some cool as hell stuff you can do with it (the ejection thing is super thrilling)...but I can't help but feel like they went the wrong direction with it. Trailing cars and stuff, the chases are fine...but man, the tank battles...I just don't know. It's not that they aren't fun...but it just doesn't feel all that Batman-y. I do really like that the Batmobile has two driving modes, the regular car drivin' style and the crazy IKEA shopping cart style.

Storylines so far have been definitely good, I'm just now getting to the actual Arkham Knight. But come on, like I needed to set up all these transmitters and so forth to figure out that Scarecrow is making his toxin at the Ace chemical plant. I wonder if Batman ever gets tired of going there. And why do villains think it's a good idea to hole up there all the time?

Gameplay is the same as it was in the other games...I forgot how freaking GREAT they play, it's been- holy shit- 7 years since I played City (I never got around to Origins either, oddly but may play it too now). So many cool and fun Batman things to do.

It's really too bad that rumour that Rocksteady was working on a 1960s or 1970s era Arkham game never panned out, that would have been amazing.

More
07 Mar 2018 17:15 #264949 by Gary Sax
Agreed, they do play well. I just 100%ed Arkham Asylum and the 2nd one so by the time I got to the 3rd one I was like, no, this is too much.

More
07 Mar 2018 17:47 #264954 by Black Barney
Loved Arkham Asylum and when I heard how big Arkham City was, I didn't want to play it. Felt like too much, yeah.

anyone else super excited for October's release of Red Dead Redemption 2? I loved the first one (it's soooo zen to play), and can't wait to get into this. Rockstar rarely disappoints.

More
07 Mar 2018 19:04 #264969 by hotseatgames
I loved Arkham Asylum. Played City but fell off of it. I have owned Origins for years and never installed it because everyone said it sucked, and haven't played Arkham Knight and don't really care to.

If you want to play a good game with Batman combat, load up Sleeping Dogs. Now THAT's a game.

More
07 Mar 2018 19:26 #264973 by Colorcrayons

Black Barney wrote: Loved Arkham Asylum and when I heard how big Arkham City was, I didn't want to play it. Felt like too much, yeah.

anyone else super excited for October's release of Red Dead Redemption 2? I loved the first one (it's soooo zen to play), and can't wait to get into this. Rockstar rarely disappoints.

I would be excited if I wasn't still playing the first RDR a year after I got it.

Though the PS3 blue ray drive is starting to falter, heralding that the system is on it's way out unless I fix it every few months. So I might have to rely on my PS4 to play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
07 Mar 2018 19:31 - 07 Mar 2018 19:32 #264975 by Sevej
I have a hate/love relationship with City. I REALLY hate on how the game repeatedly something bad will happen in 10 hours, 8 hours, etc etc, but you can waste time doing shits. Also, the open world structure I think do more harm than good. Going into combat with random thugs quickly gets repetitive and/or annoying. It's totally different from Asylum, in which you revisit places, but during the revisit usually things have changed and provide different challenges you can solve with new gadgets and fighting techniques. Also the combat system which had been very, very solid, was made more complicated in an attempt to freshen it.

The worst part is that the game was a gift from a friend for my birthday, who's my main discussion partner, and he had to hear me complain about things.
Last edit: 07 Mar 2018 19:32 by Sevej.

More
08 Mar 2018 23:16 #265147 by hotseatgames
H1Z1 went free to play, which I normally wouldn't give a shit, since I own PUBG, but they just added an "auto royale" mode, which I just checked out. To me, it felt like Twisted Metal but with 3 other people in your car. Goofy fun.

And it's very obvious that PUBG is worlds beyond this game in all respects.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
09 Mar 2018 01:03 #265158 by Gary Sax
No one has matched pubg in the sense of reasonably realistic bullet rules and gun handling. I think it is the key to the ratcheted up tension in pubg vs. like fornite, but hey, tons of people play fortnite so more power to them

More
09 Mar 2018 08:52 #265169 by SuperflyPete
I just finished Far Cry Primal. I love the Far Cry series.

Just heard that Division 2 is coming out so Far Cry 5 is on my list of shit to get soon, although I still want to get Ghost Recon Wildlands, despite not liking what Ghost Recon has become after GR2

More
09 Mar 2018 09:00 #265171 by hotseatgames

Gary Sax wrote: No one has matched pubg in the sense of reasonably realistic bullet rules and gun handling. I think it is the key to the ratcheted up tension in pubg vs. like fornite, but hey, tons of people play fortnite so more power to them

My kids love Fortnite, and I tried it twice with them. I tell them it's "a baby game for babies."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
09 Mar 2018 09:01 #265172 by lj1983
Wildlands is a pretty different game than most GR games. honestly, it feels most like the old Mercenaries Xbox game than anything else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
09 Mar 2018 09:03 #265173 by hotseatgames

SuperflyTNT wrote: Far Cry 5 is on my list of shit to get soon, although I still want to get Ghost Recon Wildlands, despite not liking what Ghost Recon has become after GR2

Far Cry 5 looks rad, and the season pass stuff looks cool too. I still have not played part 4, or Primal but you are the only person I have ever seen saying something nice about Primal.

Wildlands is a mixed bag. The game itself is fun, although it's far easier solo since your AI buddies are aimbots. But the "story" and "writing" are less intelligent than your average bathroom graffiti. I never finished it, but every now and then think about loading it up.

More
09 Mar 2018 12:56 #265200 by John Myers
The best part of Ghost Recon: Wildlands is speeding away from an enemy compound in a stolen tank while the smoking remains of the helicopter you just crashed into's generator explodes littering the landscape with dead bodies and whispering "in and out...like ghosts."

When I played it with my wife and a friend I insisted we refer to ourselves as "Godzilla Recon."
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.532 seconds