October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MUSIC are you listening to?

More
17 Oct 2017 15:34 - 17 Oct 2017 15:58 #255850 by Mr. White

Jexik wrote: Came across this on Sunday. I wasn't cool enough to have heard about them 40 years ago, but I enjoy it now. "Freakin' out" and "Politicians in my eyes" are my favorite two tracks... out of 7. Ha, kind of funny to try to break down an album that's so short.

I don't think many heard them 40 years ago. This is the band that was 'discovered' some 30 years after the fact and the singer had unfortunately already passed. There was a documentary about this several years back that's worth checking out if you're into the music.
Last edit: 17 Oct 2017 15:58 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2017 18:07 #255863 by Michael Barnes
It's an interesting band. The documentary is pretty good, but I think the whole "punk before punk" thing is GREATLY overstated. I appreciate that they were a pretty cracking black hard rock act at a time when their competition was...

...well, nonexistent. But they sort of existed in a vacuum. It's not like discovering The Stooges or the Dolls, and suddenly you see this great river of inspiration and influence that flows through all of this music that came after. They kind of were an endpoint, they aren't really a genesis point. So I kind of find this notion that they are the secret, hidden root of American punk or something to be really, really disingenuous. It doesn't help that you've got like Henry Rollins in the film all wide-eyed and veins popping out of his neck about discovering them. It lends this mythic stature a credibility it really shouldn't have.

I don't want to discredit the band- they were really trying to do something new, they were really trying to push some things (like having overtly political songs and playing at a higher level of energy than was usual at the time). The bands they were influenced by sort of lay it all out- Hendrix, Alice Cooper, Ted Nugent. I'm sure they probably heard or were at least aware of the MC5 as well. Maybe The Stooges, but they would have been kids at that time, and that still wasn't music that most kids were just picking up off the shelves.

It is funny that you can kind of hear a very similar sound to Bad Brains on a couple of the tracks- but the reality is that HR and co. likely had not heard Death in '78, '79 because it just wasn't really in circulation at the time. And there was no internet where you can listen to the rarest, most miniscule 45 released 40 years ago on a local-only, undistributed label.

It is still a cool story that they were finally discovered and it's a good record, rescued from obscurity. And it is important that they were black kids cranking out music usually, and especially at that time, regarded as "white".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
18 Oct 2017 00:45 - 18 Oct 2017 00:56 #255879 by Jexik
Yeah, when I get the chance I want to see the documentary. I found out about it earlier this afternoon. It's pretty neat that they were three actual brothers.

The bass line in Politicians in My Eyes makes me want to pick up the instrument again. It seems surprisingly easy, yet has this weird catchy mumbling sound that is then echoed in the vocals.

Not too long ago I also listened to Helter Skelter on repeat a few times and thought about how it drove Charles Manson crazy. That's another song that was ahead of its time, but you could say that for a lot of Beatles tracks.

In both board games and music I think people spend too much time trying to genrify and explain artists in terms of other artists, instead of just describing the qualities that they (dis)like in the work at hand.
Last edit: 18 Oct 2017 00:56 by Jexik.

More
18 Oct 2017 02:47 #255882 by Not Sure
Listening has been all Spiritualized and The Jesus and Mary Chain for the past week or more.

Through a quirk of scheduling, both bands are playing in San Francisco this week, and I'm also here this week for work. Spiritualized was tonight, JAMC is on Thursday.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
24 Oct 2017 23:21 #256293 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I saw Nikka Costa's Like a Feather on tv 15 years ago and always meant to check her out some more:

15 years later I finally got around to listening to her 2001 album "Everybody Got Their Something", and feel regret that it took me so long as it is probably my favourite new album for several years.

More
25 Oct 2017 11:17 #256330 by Mr. White
After College, Night Runner is my favorite synthwave act. The first album, Star Fighter, is still in constant rotation after three years. Well, the duo have cut their second and of course I'm loving it.

nightrunnermusic.bandcamp.com/album/thunderbird

The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, birdman37, JEM

More
11 Nov 2017 14:08 #257482 by Shellhead
Fun to watch:

More
11 Nov 2017 14:16 #257483 by Shellhead
My cat was mesmerized by this video, and I felt like I could listen to this song for an hour:

The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
12 Nov 2017 18:21 #257509 by Cranberries
I picked up Woods--Songs of Shame at the library surplus sale, and it is surprisingly good. Kind of a lo-fi Nick Drake-y thing going on.

More
19 Nov 2017 09:47 #257879 by Shellhead
I don't listen to classic rock much anymore. Partly because the classic rock stations played the same songs into the ground. And partly because I forgot there was music this good:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
06 Mar 2018 08:23 - 06 Mar 2018 08:38 #264629 by Mr. White
Been listening to the album Starcrash by Stilz on almost endless repeat the past two weeks. Favorite track - Test Pilot.

lazerdiscs.bandcamp.com/album/starcrash

Last edit: 06 Mar 2018 08:38 by Mr. White.

More
12 Apr 2018 13:33 - 12 Apr 2018 13:37 #267388 by Jexik
I kept listening to Czarface's Every Hero Needs a Villain on repeat for awhile, so I was excited when the "Czarface meets MF Doom" came out. Only listened to it once. I'm not sure if they're continuously brilliant or just Ernest Cline in costumes doing beat poetry in between watching the Avengers.

Green Day's Basket Case single (and later the whole Dookie album) was my first major exposure to non- classical/oldies/showtunes/etc. I think my brother had listened to like Guns 'n Roses or something like that prior, so I pictured the lead singer with long blond hair, but it really stuck with me. The local radio station played something off of their album before that, Kerplunk. And I liked it. I think 2000 Light Years Away is the track. Also inspired by my brother and all of his skater friends, I keep heading back to Operation Ivy.

The Flobots are really weird. They had that hit single "Handlebars," but seem to have largely disappeared. Their album, Fight With Tools, is nearly impossible to listen to all the way through because it's so uneven. They're also up there with Rage Against the Machine in the amount of political content they're running with, but it's this odd mixed genre mess. They use no sampling, minimal electric instruments... etc. "Stand Up" has a pretty solid chorus as a protest anthem though.
Last edit: 12 Apr 2018 13:37 by Jexik.

More
12 Apr 2018 13:55 #267390 by Shellhead
Handlebars is great, but it had the feel of a one-hit wonder. I never even bothered to try any other Flobots songs.

More
13 Apr 2018 10:14 - 13 Apr 2018 10:20 #267463 by Jexik
Just found this:

Otherwise, my favorite track back on that old album is probably Stand Up like I said. Some of their lyrics almost make me wonder if they were low-key a leftist christian rap group... which seems like the weirdest medley ever.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2018 10:20 by Jexik.

More
17 Apr 2018 10:19 #267673 by Shellhead
Robert Cray is the Kenny G of blues music. His contemporaries Albert Collins and Buddy Guy were much better. And Cray was a faint shadow compared to the legendary blues men of previous decades..
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.307 seconds