October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MUSIC are you listening to?

More
22 Apr 2018 14:28 #267980 by SuperflyPete
Yes, because 4 songs is definitely enough to form an opinion on his skill.

Go watch a live show. Dude is a fucking master of guitar. This isn’t even a question.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2018 14:38 #267981 by Shellhead
Had to clean out my ears after listening to that weak John Mayer shit. Went for The Amino Acids... four garage punks from Detroit with a theremin, wearing nylons over their heads like old school liquor store robbers.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
22 Apr 2018 14:48 #267982 by Not Sure

Michael Barnes wrote: FFS, the thought of KIDS listening to shit like John Mayer...

I remember in the 1990s seeing kids- like 12-18 years old getting into shit like the Spin Doctors, Hootie and the Blowfish, Blues Traveler...and I’m thinking “at that age I was into Slayer, NWA, Minor Threat, Public Enemy,
Anthrax, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag”...

That's because you're the most awesome person you've ever known.

Now kids are really just into artless music about WANTING material things... the good life...unattainable wealth, unattainable love, unattainable success...it all makes me want to put on a TSOL record- “PRESIDENT REAGAN CAN SHOVE IT!”

I suppose that’s better than “chill” music....but still, the thought that kids don’t get into angry, youthful, disaffected, dissatisfied music any more is sad.

/cane shaking

Maybe it's got something to do with people older than them saying "forget whatever you like, this is important". That always went over really well with me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, SuperflyPete, Colorcrayons

More
22 Apr 2018 18:51 #267993 by SuperflyPete

Shellhead wrote: Had to clean out my ears after listening to that weak John Mayer shit. Went for The Amino Acids... four garage punks from Detroit with a theremin, wearing nylons over their heads like old school liquor store robbers.

Like a mix of Black Flag and Fear kind of. I’ve never heard of them. Good tune.

More
22 Apr 2018 20:44 #268004 by san il defanso

Not Sure wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: FFS, the thought of KIDS listening to shit like John Mayer...

I remember in the 1990s seeing kids- like 12-18 years old getting into shit like the Spin Doctors, Hootie and the Blowfish, Blues Traveler...and I’m thinking “at that age I was into Slayer, NWA, Minor Threat, Public Enemy,

Now kids are really just into artless music about WANTING material things... the good life...unattainable wealth, unattainable love, unattainable success...it all makes me want to put on a TSOL record- “PRESIDENT REAGAN CAN SHOVE IT!”

I suppose that’s better than “chill” music....but still, the thought that kids don’t get into angry, youthful, disaffected, dissatisfied music any more is sad.

/cane shaking

Maybe it's got something to do with people older than them saying "forget whatever you like, this is important". That always went over really well with me.

Yeah, this smacks of a Boomer telling people that they should really be listening to Dylan instead of, I dunno, something not that counter-cultural. News flash, there are no prizes for being counter-cultural.

I'm no lover of John Mayer (I do like his live album with his trio, but even that I haven't listened to in years), but for all the crap we give to BGGers for being snotty about people liking Monopoly, that's precisely what goes on here with other popular music. I listen to a ton of music, but I always feel like my tastes are way too mainstream to ever be taken seriously in this forum. Actually, the crappiest I felt in this forum was during the infamous debate between The Smiths and REM, which actually left me liking a lot of the people involved less.

Musical elitism isn't more noble than board game elitism. People should be allowed to say their favorite games are Scattergories and Monopoly without getting endless crap for it, and they should also be allowed to say their favorite artists are U2 or John Mayer without being made to feel like they are tasteless lemmings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jarvis, ChristopherMD, Black Barney, Not Sure, Colorcrayons, ecargo

More
23 Apr 2018 05:09 - 23 Apr 2018 05:12 #268016 by Black Barney
yeah but U2 fans are pedantic and pontificating
Last edit: 23 Apr 2018 05:12 by Black Barney.

More
23 Apr 2018 10:03 #268032 by SuperflyPete
BUT I WANT TO BE AN EDGELORD TOO
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
25 Apr 2018 18:49 #271577 by barrowdown
Okay, after being away for the weekend. I see that you have all got in a big kerfuffle over music and specifically John Mayer of all things.

The comment that most jumps out at me is this one from Barnes:

I think kids do listen to that still. It's just not what you associate as this. The kids are most likely listening to the same sentiment but in hip-hop. If you are looking to rage against a republican president, it has been a super common event even among relatively non-political rappers (YG, Flatbush Zombies, Joey Bada$$). You also have your obviously pissed off stuff like Kendrick Lamar, Run the Jewels, J. Cole, Logic, etc. And those are only the super mainstream (well RtJ is probably only kind of mainstream)! You only have to dig a little deeper to see that its a pretty strong undercurrent across a lot of hip-hop.

I mean if you were looking for raging punk, HIRS Collective just dropped their debut, Primal Rite's debut earlier this year or Dawn Ray'd's debut from last year. It's still there, you are just not looking for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, Colorcrayons, ecargo

More
25 Apr 2018 19:03 #271578 by Shellhead

san il defanso wrote:

Not Sure wrote:

/cane shaking

Yeah, this smacks of a Boomer telling people that they should really be listening to Dylan instead of, I dunno, something not that counter-cultural. News flash, there are no prizes for being counter-cultural.

I'm no lover of John Mayer (I do like his live album with his trio, but even that I haven't listened to in years), but for all the crap we give to BGGers for being snotty about people liking Monopoly, that's precisely what goes on here with other popular music. I listen to a ton of music, but I always feel like my tastes are way too mainstream to ever be taken seriously in this forum. Actually, the crappiest I felt in this forum was during the infamous debate between The Smiths and REM, which actually left me liking a lot of the people involved less.

Musical elitism isn't more noble than board game elitism. People should be allowed to say their favorite games are Scattergories and Monopoly without getting endless crap for it, and they should also be allowed to say their favorite artists are U2 or John Mayer without being made to feel like they are tasteless lemmings.

F:ATties have often expressed strong opinions, but rarely has the intent been to belittle other F:ATties, though that can certainly happen when bashing something that other people enjoy. I guess that I am guilty of some musical elitism, but it is annoying to see so many people stick with safe mainstream music when music in general is easily and freely experienced thanks to the internet. YouTube is great because there is so much music on there, and you get recommendations of other artists with handy links to their YouTubes on the same page as your currently playing YouTube song. I often forget that so many people lock in their music tastes by their 20s, and can't be bothered to listen to anything new after that. Probably at least once or twice a month, I go on a deep dive online looking for new or different music to try.

A separate issue is that some people believe that there are some standards by which we can interpret and evaluate the quality of music and other forms of art. And some people vehemently deny such standards and claim that it is all completely objective. I think it's some of both, but lean towards the standards end of the argument. I personally believe that Kenny G is damned near objectively bad, and so are White Castle hamburgers, but I am aware that there are plenty of people who love Kenny G and/or White Castle hamburgers. But if you believe in standards, then you understand that popularity is never proof of quality.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
01 May 2018 12:57 #272389 by SuperflyPete

Jesus, this is beautiful
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, engineer Al

More
30 May 2018 05:08 #274269 by Matt Thrower
Managed to get my family through the music festival this weekend. It was mostly solid stuff, had a good time. The Saturday headline was Paloma Faith who we didn't sign up for - she was a last minute replacement, and she was awful. Wife and youngest left before she came on, my eldest made me stay to watch it and even she only lasted three songs before deciding she wanted to leave.

Sunday headline was Robert Plant, who was bloody amazing. I've never seen anyone of that stature play live before, and his experience really showed. His band were incredible musicians and the whole act was competent, slick and assured at a level above anything else I've ever seen. Youngest got exhausted and we had to leave right at the end - missed Whole Lotta Love - but that was a small sacrifice to enjoy the rest of his set.

The biggest unexpected pleasure was Alison Moyet, who I had no particular interest in seeing, but who looked delighted to be on stage and was brilliant. 80's new wave is surprisingly danceable when you turn the bass up. Second biggest was Mr. B The Gentleman Rhymer who I thought would be an amusing distraction but he's a born entertainer and very funny.

Speaking of Robert Plant, after recording plays on Last.FM for nearly a decade, my top 30 artists look like my actual top 30 artists. Zeppelin slot in at number 28, just above Pink Floyd and just below Robyn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
30 May 2018 13:30 #274292 by Jackwraith
I think that sometimes people forget how good some of these performers are as PERFORMERS. Even if they're playing the standard Top 40 stuff you've heard for your entire life, they can put on a show because they've been doing it for your entire life. I remember seeing Lenny Kravitz one time and I wasn't much of a Kravitz fan. But the guy doesn't do a ton of recording because he's on the road playing all the time. He was at an outdoor theater here in the Detroit area and he had the whole place throbbing. Every person there was in sync with him; no wandering to other stages, no milling around the bathrooms; the spotlight was on and everyone was watching it. It was spectacular and still one of the best performances I've ever seen on a stage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
30 May 2018 13:40 - 30 May 2018 13:41 #274293 by Jexik
After "This is America," I started looking into more Childish Gambino. I had somehow avoided hearing about him up until now, although I had seen a few episodes of Community. Ever since I got the sountrack to Hamilton last summer, the family has been on a hip hop odyssey.

A lot of his early stuff is like this. Although I like this track, it falls way off after this.

I put this song on a mix cd for my wife; it is followed by Joan Jett's Bad Reputation. ;)

My favorite video of all of his is Sweatpants. When I mentioned this to my friend, he told me to see Anomalisa. I've rented it from the library and we still have to see it.

I remembered Eminem's Rap God, which I hadn't heard for a few years. It also went onto that same mix CD, and has been the most played track. Last night we finally saw 8 Mile, which is leaving Netflix at the end of the month.

On the 'throwback' radio station, I heard:

Which is a ubiquitous track that I somehow missed when I was a child because I was too busy listening to either the classical station with my dad or the alternative station with my brother. I also love CAKE, which, with all of their steady beats and forced rhymes, really don't feel all that different. First track I remember hearing on the radio was Rock 'n Roll Lifestyle.

MF Doom and Czarface have continued to get a lot of play from me. I really like this one, which is predominantly instrumental.

As a guitarist, Pete is more likely to be impressed by technical guitar skill than people looking for a catchy or pump-up-able song, just like I get excited when I hear someone rhyme feelin' with villain, because it's both a slant rhyme and something I call a "power" rhyme, where you alliterate with something that has the same point of articulation but different levels of voiced-ness.

Interviews with musicians and writers is one of my favorite forms of entertainment.
Last edit: 30 May 2018 13:41 by Jexik.

More
30 May 2018 13:58 #274294 by Shellhead
I'm a fan of that Books of War track, so I look forward to listening to the rest of those songs when I get home to a computer with speakers.

More
30 May 2018 15:48 #274298 by Colorcrayons
*shrug* at risk of raising the hackles of those with superior musical tastes, I've been getting into a lot of 80's rock lately.

Early 80's stuff. Must be impending midlife crisis, but I feel a lot of comfort listening to music that my parents listened to at that point.

Main stage has been a lot of Toto, and Steely Dan.

Lots of Police, Billy Joel, Hall & Oates, Alan Parsons Project, etc. mixed in there as well.

I think Toto is getting g a lot of flak from snobs lately about "Africa". Sure, it's not Mozart, but so the fuck what? Have you heard Andy McKee play it fingerstyle ? Fuggidaboudit.

Toto is pretty damned underrated and pawned off like it's a hipster resurgence of ironic appreciation.

Let's break down one tune by a very well versed musician. (Great channel by the way)

It's not meant to make you change your taste on wether you like or dislike them, just to illustrate that they aren't the hacks that most artists seem to get away with being nowadays.

That last statement does come off as snobbish, but it's meant to illustrate that you don't need a band anymore to be a band, but be musically inclined and hit a computer and you can be your own Boston. It lacks a bit of soul when instruments are all digital.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.281 seconds